News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadfro on November 25, 2015, 02:45:13 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on November 23, 2015, 07:45:41 PM
Are these beauties still in the field?
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.57338,-121.5825284,3a,15y,70.97h,95.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMSsk2Wf0ctbgqYc32oa3tA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Come to think about it, how much of this type of button copy is available in California still?

Not sure about that particular structure, but it could be endangered.

California has been slowly replacing old button copy signs, in part due to the ongoing exit numbering project. On the Pacific Southwest board, there were three topics in recent months about massive sign replacement projects going to bid, which are likely to wipe out quite a bit button copy.

Checking the project plans (link), those particular signs are not part of the massive sign replacement project roadfro referred to.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Big John

Eth

Mergingtraffic

Mass Ave. Boston, MA.  The cool thing is there is no modern sign displaying the same message nearby....so this sign is it...front and center!

Original button copy in LA's "sister city" NYC!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jakeroot

Ian

Stumbled upon this neat relic in Upper Darby, PA a few days ago, and today I decided to go back and grab a photo. It even has the old Pennsylvania Department of Highways (PDH) logo on the bottom!

Also, in nearby Nether Providence Township exists this yellow YIELD sign (also with the PDH logo)...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

formulanone

It's been too long since there's been an entry, so here goes.

I-5 US 99 CA 99 north in Sacramento:

Kniwt

formulanone

Well, I messed up a dozen file names. Thanks for the correction, though!

freebrickproductions

Button-copy signage in Gadsden, AL:
Button-copy Signage by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 04, 2016, 09:20:13 PM

Those signs are still in fantastic shape for how old they probably are. How much button copy is left in Alabama, anyway?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Zeffy on March 04, 2016, 09:35:10 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 04, 2016, 09:20:13 PM

Those signs are still in fantastic shape for how old they probably are. How much button copy is left in Alabama, anyway?
Still a good bit in Birmingham, a good bit in Tuscaloosa and maybe Gadsden, not so much in other areas.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

thenetwork

Always loved that shade of green.

AsphaltPlanet

These are long gone, but were awesome:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 11, 2016, 08:20:53 PM
These are long gone, but were awesome:

Where was that? There's not too many ON 2 signs still around I would think. It's been 18 years since it was downgraded. Gananoque had a few really old ON 2 shields in areas even that are county maintained now.

Though even non-cutouts are better than unisigns  :)

AsphaltPlanet

^ This was on Lawson Road, from the overpass that carried Highway 2 overtop of Highway 2A at Highland Creek in eastern Scarborough.

There was an additional sign like this at the eastbound off-ramp from Highway 2A to Lawson Road that I unfortunately never got a photo of.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Mergingtraffic

The last full non-reflective button copy sign on I-95 in NY.

I still wish it said I-478
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

AsphaltPlanet

I think this may be the only signage for the Artesia Freeway in LA.

www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/CA/I/605/I605_CA_dv_7_south_Dec14_lg.jpg

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

national highway 1

Found this picture on the AARoads Facebook page. It is located in Maquoketa, Iowa.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

AsphaltPlanet

hockeyjohn

Both of these signs have been replaced by far less interesting ones.

Charlotte, Michigan (Packard Hwy east of Old US-27)

Jackson, Michigan (Airport Rd north of Springport Dr)

paulthemapguy

Quote from: hockeyjohn on March 28, 2016, 04:51:42 PM
Both of these signs have been replaced by far less interesting ones.

Charlotte, Michigan (Packard Hwy east of Old US-27)

This sign SHOULD say, "Pavement 'n Arrows."   :spin:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Ian

^^ That "PAVEMENT NARROWS" sign reminds me of the "LANE ENDS" signs Maryland (and sometimes Delaware) likes to use...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

peterj920

The end of Goodwin Rd at Grimms Rd in western Manitowoc Co, WI. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.