News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 15, 2017, 06:13:38 AM
CGPerry - did you just wander around the internet, grabbed some pictures of signs, and post them?

From following his work on Flickr, they're all his photos.

kkt

kkt

What the hell is all of this? 

CGPerry - did you just wander around the internet, grabbed some pictures of signs, and post them?  And how are these "The Best Of"?  Faded signage, reused signage where the square sticker doesn't fit in the circle, and misaligned numbers aren't the "Best Of" anything.

I dunno.  Historic signage, creative signs, or signs with patina can be best in their own way.  Brand new bog standard signs aren't tremendously interesting.

empirestate

Quote from: kkt on May 15, 2017, 06:19:02 PM
What the hell is all of this? 

CGPerry - did you just wander around the internet, grabbed some pictures of signs, and post them?  And how are these "The Best Of"?  Faded signage, reused signage where the square sticker doesn't fit in the circle, and misaligned numbers aren't the "Best Of" anything.

I dunno.  Historic signage, creative signs, or signs with patina can be best in their own way.  Brand new bog standard signs aren't tremendously interesting.

Some people consider anything "old school" to be the best; I get that. What struck me more was the sheer onslaught of posts–a full page and a half. Surely that's considered poor forum etiquette?

hbelkins

Quote from: empirestate on May 15, 2017, 09:47:34 PMSurely that's considered poor forum etiquette?

Forum etiquette went out the window here a long time ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: empirestate on May 15, 2017, 09:47:34 PMSurely that's considered poor forum etiquette?

For posting this sentence, I'm picturing you donning a monocle and a tophat from here onwards.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on May 16, 2017, 12:15:47 PM

Forum etiquette went out the window here a long time ago.

It did? I'm not seeing any arguing for no reason on this forum except for a select few (<5%) members. Also, threads do get locked when they become insult after insult, but that happens extremely rarely.

As for other violations of etiquette, duplicate threads are usually started by new members, and that happens on every forum. Triple posts or greater are very rare (bugo's 6 in a row a few days ago was a record until this page and a half occurred). Politics is avoided except by one member who I shall not name, religion, ethnicity, and race don't come up at all, LGBTQ members are tolerated here, and sports rivalries are friendly rivalries, not bitter ones (at least on this forum).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

empirestate

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 16, 2017, 12:29:24 PM

For posting this sentence, I'm picturing you donning a monocle and a tophat from here onwards.

I'm satisfied with that legacy. :-)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: formulanone on May 15, 2017, 09:05:12 AM
CGPerry - did you just wander around the internet, grabbed some pictures of signs, and post them?

No need to attack like that.  my god.  and yes he's on Flickr.  I liked looking at the photos.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

7/8

Not a great picture, but I love the older style "King's Highway" shields, and I found this one in Mitchell just south of Hwy 8

abc2VE

I got these nice photos a couple of months ago. In the second picture I see something that looks light a grid and based on the paint on the letters, I would assume these were painted with a brush.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on May 16, 2017, 07:34:42 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 15, 2017, 09:05:12 AM

No need to attack like that.  my god.  and yes he's on Flickr.  I liked looking at the photos.

This thread hasn't had a lot of action lately, which is a shame, because I love seeing these pictures. I respect CGPerry's traveling and keen photography skills. And I'm glad to see that he is putting up a bunch of new posts for us all to see.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

7/8

Here are some older sign I found today:

Fading Neighbourhood Watch sign on Highway 3 (I think in Courtland, ON)

Old Highway 3 marker in Simcoe, ON

Old Brant CR 15 sign south of Ayr, ON

Ian

Old plywood LeHay font ME 129 shield along Business US 1 in the small town of Damariscotta, Maine (with my car idling in the background). There are several old font signs along this stretch of road through the towns of Damariscotta and Newcastle, which is awesome because there aren't that many of these types of signs left around the state. This was taken last night, but I'm going to come back down here at some point during the day and get photos of the other ones.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

Quote from: CGPerry on May 15, 2017, 03:29:50 AM
Washington, DC.  The Clearview looks nice here.  And you've got the button copy.  Everybody wins.

The reason why the Clearview looks so nice is because it's FHWA Series...

Quote from: abc2VE on May 20, 2017, 09:33:17 PM
I got these nice photos a couple of months ago. In the second picture I see something that looks light a grid and based on the paint on the letters, I would assume these were painted with a brush.

It probably is hand painted, but the "grid" you're seeing is part of the application process for obsolete Scotchlite sheeting.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Ian on May 29, 2017, 02:04:51 PM
Old plywood LeHay font ME 129 shield along Business US 1 in the small town of Damariscotta, Maine (with my car idling in the background). There are several old font signs along this stretch of road through the towns of Damariscotta and Newcastle, which is awesome because there aren't that many of these types of signs left around the state. This was taken last night, but I'm going to come back down here at some point during the day and get photos of the other ones.

I knew a girl from Damariscotta in college.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mergingtraffic

Some good photos for a Friday night.  As always visit my Flickr and lemme know what you think!

[/url]

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

csw

I'm fairly proud of this shot.

hotdogPi

Quote from: csw on June 03, 2017, 09:46:53 PM
I'm fairly proud of this shot.

That's "best of road pictures", not "best of road signs".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

csw

hbelkins

I didn't know that power plant was there. I drove the Pennyrile northbound several years ago and don't remember seeing that.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

It's a fantastic road sign. Properly aligned text; appropriately sized fonts; correct exit tabs.

csw

Funny you should say that, because it appears KYDOT made a mistake on the previous sign....

US 89

Quote from: csw on June 09, 2017, 04:46:22 PM
Funny you should say that, because it appears KYDOT made a mistake on the previous sign....

Does the order of cities even matter?

csw

No, it's not really a big deal, I just thought it was unusual.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.