News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Offramps Wider than the Through Route

Started by Echostatic, June 07, 2020, 05:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echostatic

This seems to be rare, and most cases in the Austin area are when the original route has been moved onto the frontage road at a certain point. I'd like to see some other examples of this, if they're out there.

The only example I can find is at the T-interchange between TX-45 and TX Loop 1 in Southwest Austin. TX-45 Eastbound continues straight on one lane while two lanes exit towards Loop 1 Northbound. This is the same for TX-45 Westbound, where two lanes exit for Loop 1 North. The interchange isn't on Google Maps yet, but it is on Google Earth.
Travelled in part or in full.

Truvelo

There's an example over here where the through route has one lane and the ramps have three lanes although in reality the ramps are the through route. The junction was built like this for futureproofing which never happened.

https://goo.gl/maps/Rk6xwrwZy6Fy4o519
Speed limits limit life

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

https://goo.gl/maps/i4YMtCCG7dR4hs7W8
Technically through lanes are no longer the same road, though, as I-87 designation end around that point.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Echostatic on June 07, 2020, 05:39:42 PM
This seems to be rare, and most cases in the Austin area are when the original route has been moved onto the frontage road at a certain point. I'd like to see some other examples of this, if they're out there.

The only example I can find is at the T-interchange between TX-45 and TX Loop 1 in Southwest Austin. TX-45 Eastbound continues straight on one lane while two lanes exit towards Loop 1 Northbound. This is the same for TX-45 Westbound, where two lanes exit for Loop 1 North. The interchange isn't on Google Maps yet, but it is on Google Earth.
For the I-95/Jersey turnpike interchange in Central Jersey, which one is the through route?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

I-90 at I-271 near Cleveland is an interesting case. There's two separate exits for I-271: first a 2-lane exit for the express lanes, then a 2-lane exit for the local lanes, leaving just one through lane and one option lane for I-90.

wanderer2575

I assume the OP intends to exclude TOTSO configurations, as pretty much all those apply.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 07, 2020, 09:20:08 PM
Quote from: Echostatic on June 07, 2020, 05:39:42 PM

For the I-95/Jersey turnpike interchange in Central Jersey, which one is the through route?

I'd go with the one that's not marked as an Exit.

So, for each roadway, 3 lanes thru with 2 exit lanes.

jeffandnicole

However...coming over the Del. Mem. Br. into NJ on 295: As a result of the option lane, 3 lanes exit for the NJ Tpk, 2 lanes continue as I-295.

sprjus4

I-95 / I-395 / I-495 (Springfield Interchange) in Northern Virginia.

I-95 Northbound is two lanes where the exit ramp to I-495 and I-395 is 3 lanes.

I-95 Southbound is two lanes where the exit ramp to I-495 and I-395 is 4 lanes.

In this instance, while I-95 is technically a TOTSO due to it following the eastern alignment of I-495, it's designed through this interchange to have full continuity. Stay in the left lanes to continue on I-95 in both directions and enter on the left in both directions.

VA-168 / US-17 split-off in Chesapeake, VA.

VA-168 Southbound is two lanes where the exit ramp to US-17 is 3 lanes.

VA-168 is signed as the through route here, and you technically don't even reach US-17 Southbound until the Great Bridge Blvd on-ramp. US-17 Southbound follows I-64 West (towards Va Beach) to the VA-190 exit, VA-190 for a short distance, then the VA-190 on-ramp to Dominion Blvd / US-17 Southbound.

jp the roadgeek

I-95 South at I-93 in Canton, MA.  There are 2 I-95 thru lanes while there are 3 "Exit"  lanes for I-93 North. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jmacswimmer

I-70 East at I-695, which reflects the fact that traffic headed pretty much anywhere besides Security Blvd and a certain Park & Ride have to enter the beltway.

Also an honorable mention to I-695 East at I-97 - although the current setup is 2 lanes for each route, it looks like the ramp to I-97 was designed to allow for 3 lanes eventually.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 08, 2020, 03:26:41 AM
I-95 South at I-93 in Canton, MA.  There are 2 I-95 thru lanes while there are 3 "Exit"  lanes for I-93 North.
Of course, I-93/old MA 128 was originally built as the through route.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ilpt4u

I-355's Northern End at I-290 near Itasca

I-355 is given the Thru Route treatment at the Y-Interchange, but it is the signed exit

I-355 is 3 Lanes on/off  I-290, whereas I-290 is 2 lanes thru the Interchange ramps

webny99

When it comes to TOTSO's, it seems important to distinguish which route is the through route: the one that goes straight through, or the one that follows the signed number.

Truvelo

Quote from: webny99 on June 08, 2020, 01:58:09 PM
When it comes to TOTSO's, it seems important to distinguish which route is the through route: the one that goes straight through, or the one that follows the signed number.

I would say it's the one going straight through regardless of the number. This example has the outside lanes as the signed number.

https://goo.gl/maps/QxaMki1PHk1hQJLn7
Speed limits limit life

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Truvelo on June 08, 2020, 06:00:26 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 08, 2020, 01:58:09 PM

I would say it's the one going straight through regardless of the number. This example has the outside lanes as the signed number.

https://goo.gl/maps/QxaMki1PHk1hQJLn7
When the exits are numbered, I'd say that the one not marked as an exit is the through route.

Big John

Ramps are usually 14-16 feet wide while freeway lanes are usually 12' wide.  The extra width being a safety issue.

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

debragga

kphoger

I-435 in south suburban Kansas City, at I-470 & I-49.
Two through lanes for I-435, Exit #71A is four lanes of Exit Only.

https://goo.gl/maps/qqbje66S6N4NvkhW7
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 08, 2020, 01:52:21 PM
I-355's Northern End at I-290 near Itasca

I-355 is given the Thru Route treatment at the Y-Interchange, but it is the signed exit

I-355 is 3 Lanes on/off  I-290, whereas I-290 is 2 lanes thru the Interchange ramps
I-94 / I-294 start
https://goo.gl/maps/iRYdiftnSHoWxGdQ9

crispy93

Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 11, 2020, 01:10:55 PM
Does this count? Or this?

At least with the latter example, you can make an argument that it's a ramp, although it's hardly "wider"... both the ramp and the through route have two lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.