News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 16, 2017, 09:19:59 PM
Quote from: Lyon Wonder on July 16, 2017, 09:05:09 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on July 08, 2017, 08:29:19 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on June 20, 2017, 09:25:58 AM
Forgottonia wouldn't stop complaining about the lack of state funds used in the area.

The push from the towns along the IL 336 corridor appear to be why IL 336 managed to be one of the supplemental freeway corridors that managed to be mostly built in some form.

And now for a couple tidbits based on the old EIS's for I-155:

* The corridor would have been built sooner had the original EIS survived a court challenge

* One of the reasons the corridor was built as a full freeway was due to the number of trucks expected to use the corridor as a connector between I-74 and I-55.  Also, one of the later EIS's indicates that most of the corridor was going to need to be a freeway (particularly the section near I-74), plus the section for the Mackinaw River Bridge replacement had been built as a freeway, so it was decide to built the whole corridor as a freeway the first time around.

I'm also wondering if the expressway-like sections of US 66 across Illinois had a bad safety record, which lead to a dislike of expressways in Illinois for a bit compared to full freeways.

Then, after completing most of the interstates, IDOT went on to upgrade US 51 from Decatur to Bloomington into a 4 lane divided expressway complete with at-grade intersections with other state highways and an at-grade railroad crossing too. I guess IDOT thought the corridor from Decatur to Bloomington wasn't as important as what became I-39 from Normal to Rockford.

Because it isn't?

It would have been if it had been built to interstate standards as it should have been. The Bloomington-Decatur section of US 51 had a higher accident rate than the Ogelsby-Normal section. Had they gone for the freeway, there would have been considerable pressure to continue the freeway south of Decatur (or at least upgradable expressway).

Rothman

Quote from: silverback1065

i feel like this is true for every state.  here in indiana, the government pretends NW indiana doesn't exist

I wouldn't want to admit Gary's existence, either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

inkyatari

Looking at old state maps, and I noted that there was an alternate US 20 through Chicago called "CITY 20".  Was this ever signed as such, or was it signed as ALT?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: inkyatari on July 20, 2017, 09:00:07 AM
Looking at old state maps, and I noted that there was an alternate US 20 through Chicago called "CITY 20".  Was this ever signed as such, or was it signed as ALT?
http://www.n9jig.com/1-20.html
City US-20 was the old route of US-20 which ran east on Lake Street in Chicago, then south to Indiana along Torrance Av. (among other roads) until 1938. US-20 was rerouted around Chicago, and the old route became City US-20. It became Business US-20 in 1960, and lost the number altogether in 1968.

Lyon Wonder

inkyatari

The I-55 bridge over the Des Plaines River will have one lane closed each way from 7 am to 2 PM for inspection starting the 14th of August

inkyatari

I've had a fictional highway proposal of a western IL 47 bypass of Yorkville.  Part of that would include a bridge over the Fox River betrween Yorkville and Silver Springs State Park.

Well, it looks like a new bridge is going to be built, although not as a IL 47 bypass...

http://www.wspynews.com/news/local/kendall-county-board-approves-eminent-domain-along-eldamain-rd/article_f0ae1e12-064c-11e6-9589-afb41412f38a.html

I hope they build the bridge two lanes, each direction.

EDIT:  Oops.  The bridge is still just proposed....

Brandon

^^ It's much needed.  Otherwise you go all the way over to Plano at Fox River Dr/Ben St.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Quote from: inkyatari on July 31, 2017, 09:39:50 AM
I've had a fictional highway proposal of a western IL 47 bypass of Yorkville.  Part of that would include a bridge over the Fox River betrween Yorkville and Silver Springs State Park.

Well, it looks like a new bridge is going to be built, although not as a IL 47 bypass...

http://www.wspynews.com/news/local/kendall-county-board-approves-eminent-domain-along-eldamain-rd/article_f0ae1e12-064c-11e6-9589-afb41412f38a.html

That makes a lot of sense.
It would be nice if the also straighten out Eldamain Rd to meet up with Dugan Rd & Prairie St west of Sugar Grove. This would allow the trucks at the Menards Distribution Center to have a direct access to the IL 56 freeway and I-88 East via Dugan while taking traffic off of IL 47 in Sugar Grove.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Rick Powell

One of the "arterial" alternatives in the Prairie Parkway study was a corridor from I-80 to I-88 that generally followed Saratoga Road (about 3 miles west of IL 47 in Morris) from I-80 north to where it met Lisbon Road, continuing on High Point Road to cross the Fox River and connect to Eldamain Road. Near Galena Road, it would swing west to connect to Dauberman Road at US 30, and continue north to I-88. Kane County is studying the extension of Dauberman Road south of US 30 and across the BNSF RR to connect to Granart Road, just as Kendall County is studying the Eldamain crossing of the Fox River, but AFAIK there is currently no coordinated planning of an arterial corridor between the three counties involved.

inkyatari

Quote from: Rick Powell on July 31, 2017, 06:31:51 PM

One of the "arterial" alternatives in the Prairie Parkway study was a corridor from I-80 to I-88 that generally followed Saratoga Road (about 3 miles west of IL 47 in Morris) from I-80 north to where it met Lisbon Road, continuing on High Point Road to cross the Fox River and connect to Eldamain Road. Near Galena Road, it would swing west to connect to Dauberman Road at US 30, and continue north to I-88. Kane County is studying the extension of Dauberman Road south of US 30 and across the BNSF RR to connect to Granart Road, just as Kendall County is studying the Eldamain crossing of the Fox River, but AFAIK there is currently no coordinated planning of an arterial corridor between the three counties involved.

I just saw online Grundy County's plans for Saratoga Road...

https://www.grundyco.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/SaratogaRdCorridorAccessStudyFINALReport.pdf

Rick Powell

Quote from: inkyatari on August 01, 2017, 10:54:00 AM

I just saw online Grundy County's plans for Saratoga Road...

https://www.grundyco.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/SaratogaRdCorridorAccessStudyFINALReport.pdf

Also, IDOT's FY 2018-23 program has Eldamain Road from US 34 to River Road programmed for construction at $9 million in 2018. This would complete Eldamain all the way from Galena Road down to near the Fox River with recent concrete pavement. I haven't seen the proposed bridge plans for the Fox River crossing, but would guess that Kendall County would do what they did at Orchard Road - build a widened substructure capable of 4 lanes, but only build the bridge deck at 2 lanes to start.

hobsini2

It was not long ago that the US 30 to Granhart Rd part of Dugan Rd was redone. I wonder why they are not using that.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ET21

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 06, 2017, 04:52:11 PM

It was not long ago that the US 30 to Granhart Rd part of Dugan Rd was redone. I wonder why they are not using that.

Wasn't that mainly to help access into and out of the golf course over there for tournaments, as well as re-distribute the access to the warehouses along Granhart? US 30 was redone from Dugan to Municipal along with that section of Dugan
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hobsini2

Quote from: ET21 on August 07, 2017, 10:23:52 AM

Wasn't that mainly to help access into and out of the golf course over there for tournaments, as well as re-distribute the access to the warehouses along Granhart? US 30 was redone from Dugan to Municipal along with that section of Dugan

Probably so. US 30 is under reconstruction west of there going toward Big Rock.

ET21

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 07, 2017, 04:26:15 PM
Quote from: ET21 on August 07, 2017, 10:23:52 AM

Probably so. US 30 is under reconstruction west of there going toward Big Rock.

Ohh I haven't been out there in a couple months. So they're finally redoing that section which I bet goes out to Hinckley as they redid the Hinckley to Waterman section during summer of 2014

Clinched:

paulthemapguy

^And they redid the Shabbona to Waterman section in the summer of 2010 because I actually contributed to that job as an IDOT intern  :sombrero:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ET21

Only took 7 years, but they got it all resurfaced. All that's left is US 30 and I-39 :sombrero:

Clinched:

US71

Quote from: sparker on June 24, 2017, 11:52:40 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on June 24, 2017, 07:36:46 PM
isn't 110 just stitched together existing routes across illinois? 

yes.....AND Missouri.  Two states with unnecessary signage costs.
110 seems to be the priority road since I- 35 goes missing alot

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Quote from: ET21 on August 10, 2017, 08:32:29 AM
Only took 7 years, but they got it all resurfaced. All that's left is US 30 and I-39 :sombrero:
Just in time to start again

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

edwaleni

Quote from: dvferyance on June 27, 2017, 02:36:56 PM
Quote from: I-39 on June 24, 2017, 02:36:52 PM
Does the average person even realize 110 exists? I don't think there really is any benefit to it. Most people want to take Interstates, so they will take I-55/72/US 36 or I-55/70 to get to Kansas City. The whole thing is kind of stupid if you ask me.
I never really thought Chicago to KC was a very popular connection anyways. It's certainly not like Chicago to NYC or Chicago to LA.

Transportation planners have salivated over a CHI-KCMO connection for many years.  There was a proposal in the early 1980's to built a private, truck only expressway, but that didn't go over well with DOT. 

Missouri has 4 laned the entire route (not at Interstate standards) west of Hannibal and Illinois, always cash poor, has hobbled together a route using existing ROW's and bypasses with some new road built with IL-336. But with the Macomb Bypass in a constant state of confusion (now just the northbound side will be finished), and Illinois ride just above bankruptcy, it may be a few years before it becomes a smooth ride.  Engineering dollars have been allocated to build out a 4 lane substitute for US-24 west of Peoria to help out, but again it may be many years.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on August 11, 2017, 08:06:52 AM
Transportation planners have salivated over a CHI-KCMO connection for many years.  There was a proposal in the early 1980's to built a private, truck only expressway, but that didn't go over well with DOT. 

I am familiar with the study and a few of the people who worked on it. Actually, the reason the private toll road idea was abandoned is not "IDOT opposition", but that it wouldn't pay for itself. They tried to get buy-in from the major truckers at the time including Yellow Freight, but they couldn't justify the time savings with the toll costs, in the projected volumes that they were looking at. In a separate study, IDOT District 4 also was looking at some other alternatives to connect Chicago to Peoria roughly along IL 116 or US 24 corridors, but ultimately settled on an IL 29 corridor that would branch off of I-180 near Hennepin and meet up with the IL 6 western ring road at Peoria. That corridor has a completed EIS but no real push to build it at this time.

I-39

Quote from: Rick Powell on August 11, 2017, 10:54:13 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on August 11, 2017, 08:06:52 AM

I am familiar with the study and a few of the people who worked on it. Actually, the reason the private toll road idea was abandoned is not "IDOT opposition", but that it wouldn't pay for itself. They tried to get buy-in from the major truckers at the time including Yellow Freight, but they couldn't justify the time savings with the toll costs, in the projected volumes that they were looking at. In a separate study, IDOT District 4 also was looking at some other alternatives to connect Chicago to Peoria roughly along IL 116 or US 24 corridors, but ultimately settled on an IL 29 corridor that would branch off of I-180 near Hennepin and meet up with the IL 6 western ring road at Peoria. That corridor has a completed EIS but no real push to build it at this time.

Do the traffic counts along IL-29 really justify 4 lanes? I don't think so. Same with IL-336.

tribar

Why does IDOT replace BGS's on the brown gantries with BGS's that don't even fit properly? They did this on 53/290 a few years back and now they're starting to do it on the Kennedy. They look hideous and the old signs were fine as is.

Brandon

If you can cart it away...

Always wanted a bridge? IDOT's giving one away

QuoteThe Illinois Department of Transportation is offering to donate the historic Ford City Drive bridge over Pulaski Road near the Ford City Mall.

If you take IDOT up on its offer, it would be a costly thing to own. To even have a shot at taking over the bridge, applicants would have to prove they forever could maintain both the bridge and the features that give it historic significance. If they choose to move it, they also need to show how and when they would do it. And that might be pretty tough: The structure is crumbling and would be nearly impossible to move, according to IDOT officials.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.