News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

They probably should have kept it there, which was why I was wondering what the reason is for putting it back on its original alignment, especially since they aren't routing it up to Downtown Chicago any more. It's not like Illinois is against single digit freeways with Illinois 6 around the Peoria area?

Rick Powell

IDOT has a long range plan to convert the expressway section from Sauk Trail to somewhere around Goodenow Road to a fully access controlled freeway. I am pretty sure there would need to be some upgrades on the existing freeway section north of Sauk Trail to meet modern Interstate standards. If the 3rd airport at Peotone or the new CSX intermodal yard at Crete go in, might give some momentum to do it, but right now it is fairly low on the priority list and not a fiscally constrained project in the current CMAP 2040 plan. They might try for an I-designation if that project is ever done.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Rick Powell on October 06, 2017, 10:36:56 PM
IDOT has a long range plan to convert the expressway section from Sauk Trail to somewhere around Goodenow Road to a fully access controlled freeway. I am pretty sure there would need to be some upgrades on the existing freeway section north of Sauk Trail to meet modern Interstate standards. If the 3rd airport at Peotone or the new CSX intermodal yard at Crete go in, might give some momentum to do it, but right now it is fairly low on the priority list and not a fiscally constrained project in the current CMAP 2040 plan. They might try for an I-designation if that project is ever done.
the tollway can fill the funding gap if needed.

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Great Lakes Roads

ILRoad55

Just wondering, how is the Longmeadow Pkwy doing?

Joe The Dragon

mvak36

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 07, 2017, 12:00:09 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on October 07, 2017, 09:39:53 AM
And now there's this...

Legislative leaders consider using road funds to build Obama library

Um... that is a big no-no for me...  :pan: :pan: :pan:

I say HELL NO!!! The state can't even maintain the roads it has and has a whole lot of other budget problems. I have nothing against Obama, but this is government waste at it's finest.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

SSOWorld

Welcome to Illinois - where Chicago makes policy and everyone else shuts the fuck up.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

7/8

And now there's this...

The article mentions the idea of doing a fundraiser, and that seems like a much better idea to me. Obama was a popular president, so I don't think it would be hard to pay for it, or at least pay for a large chunk of it through donations.

I-39

Quote from: mvak36 on October 07, 2017, 11:31:19 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 07, 2017, 12:00:09 PM
And now there's this...

Um... that is a big no-no for me...  :pan: :pan: :pan:

I say HELL NO!!! The state can't even maintain the roads it has and has a whole lot of other budget problems. I have nothing against Obama, but this is government waste at it's finest.

Isn't this illegal now? Didn't Illinois pass a constitutional amendment banning the use of gas tax and vehicle registration money for anything other than roads?

captkirk_4

And now there's this...

Why here and not Hawaii where he's from? He's not even from Illinois? He just came here as an adult already out of law school to work a job. He's no more "from Illinois" than Peyton Manning is from Denver.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: captkirk_4 on October 08, 2017, 06:49:20 PM
And now there's this...

Why here and not Hawaii where he's from? He's not even from Illinois? He just came here as an adult already out of law school to work a job. He's no more "from Illinois" than Peyton Manning is from Denver.

Who says it has to be where they are from?  Reagan wasn't from California.  H.W. Bush wasn't from Texas. 

Brandon

IDOT's lack of maintenance is showing.

Huge Hole On Bridge Deck Of I-80 And Rowell Avenue

QuoteA huge pot hole along the bridge deck of eastbound I-80 over the Rowell Avenue. This massive hole was discovered yesterday afternoon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on October 10, 2017, 07:22:24 AM

QuoteA huge pot hole along the bridge deck of eastbound I-80 over the Rowell Avenue. This massive hole was discovered yesterday afternoon.

Did you comment on this on the "You know you're from Joliet if..." group on facebook?

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on October 10, 2017, 08:52:46 AM
Quote from: Brandon on October 10, 2017, 07:22:24 AM

Did you comment on this on the "You know you're from Joliet if..." group on facebook?

Why yes, I indeed did.  Same comment too.

A major east-west interstate, and IDOT can't manage to maintain it well enough to travel reliably on.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

inkyatari

Time for the I-80will project to get started.

well.. it was time 15 years ago...

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on October 10, 2017, 10:22:45 AM

Wait 5 years.  IDOT is always at least 20 years behind.

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on October 10, 2017, 10:32:46 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on October 10, 2017, 10:22:45 AM

Wait 5 years.  IDOT is always at least 20 years behind.
This state is so fudged up with it's finances it's not even funny.

tribar

Is there a website where you can see what is being displayed on VMS throughout Chicagoland?

Revive 755

Quote from: tribar on October 15, 2017, 08:03:59 PM
Is there a website where you can see what is being displayed on VMS throughout Chicagoland?

https://www.travelmidwest.com/lmiga/home.jsp

Make sure the overhead signs layer is turned on.

tribar

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 15, 2017, 08:07:54 PM
Quote from: tribar on October 15, 2017, 08:03:59 PM

https://www.travelmidwest.com/lmiga/home.jsp

Make sure the overhead signs layer is turned on.

Thank you!

ET21

Cicero Ave bridge over the Cal Sag River will be closed until The Last Jedi Day (December 15th) for emergency repairs. Cicero is closed between 127th and IL-83/Cal Sag Road. The ramp from southbound 294 to southbound Cicero is also closed.

They found cracks in the superstructure, but I'm surprised they didn't just do a complete sweep of the bridges crossing the Cal Sag for repairs. They redid Ridgeland and IL-171/83 bridges within the past couple of years
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

inkyatari

Quote from: ET21 on October 17, 2017, 12:35:36 PM
Cicero Ave bridge over the Cal Sag River will be closed until The Last Jedi Day (December 15th) for emergency repairs. Cicero is closed between 127th and IL-83/Cal Sag Road. The ramp from southbound 294 to southbound Cicero is also closed.

They found cracks in the superstructure, but I'm surprised they didn't just do a complete sweep of the bridges crossing the Cal Sag for repairs. They redid Ridgeland and IL-171/83 bridges within the past couple of years

Is it just me, but has there been a lot of emergency bridge repairs in the Chicago area over the last year?  I recall one south of Arsenal Rd. on 55, and just last week on I-80 on the east side of Joliet.

ET21

Quote from: inkyatari on October 18, 2017, 10:05:45 AM
Quote from: ET21 on October 17, 2017, 12:35:36 PM

Is it just me, but has there been a lot of emergency bridge repairs in the Chicago area over the last year?  I recall one south of Arsenal Rd. on 55, and just last week on I-80 on the east side of Joliet.

Torrence Ave bridge over the Cal Sag Channel also had an emergency repair over the past year
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.