News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Guess the speed limit challenge

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 09, 2021, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shedingtonian

Fictional maps, road signs, video game projects... Visit Shedingtonian's Virtual Dump,
and read the blog to keep up to date with what's going on with me.

And yes, I'm still studying civil engineering.

CovalenceSTU

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Shedingtonian

Fictional maps, road signs, video game projects... Visit Shedingtonian's Virtual Dump,
and read the blog to keep up to date with what's going on with me.

And yes, I'm still studying civil engineering.

jakeroot

Bit late to the party here...

Quote from: CovalenceSTU on June 09, 2023, 01:19:32 PM
Quote from: Shedingtonian on June 09, 2023, 06:53:09 AM
Correct! Cowlitz St, Castle Rock, WA

This is quite intriguing, I'm not totally sure this is an enforceable or legitimate speed limit. Speed limits below 20 mph are not permitted in WA without written approval from the secretary of transportation (per RCW 46.61.415). This would in fact be the only limit in WA below 20 that I've seen.

That said, this RCW may only apply to state highways. But then if that's the case, I have to wonder why 15 hasn't shown up more often (at least once more...again this is the first time I've seen a limit below 20 in WA).

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on June 24, 2023, 06:08:31 AM
This is quite intriguing, I'm not totally sure this is an enforceable or legitimate speed limit. Speed limits below 20 mph are not permitted in WA without written approval from the secretary of transportation (per RCW 46.61.415). This would in fact be the only limit in WA below 20 that I've seen.

That said, this RCW may only apply to state highways. But then if that's the case, I have to wonder why 15 hasn't shown up more often (at least once more...again this is the first time I've seen a limit below 20 in WA).

If you're really interested to hunt down the answer...

The speed limit was considered by the City Council on 09-JAN-2012 and then passed as Ordinance No. 2012-02.

https://www.ci.castle-rock.wa.us/council/Agenda_01-09-12.pdf
https://www.ci.castle-rock.wa.us/council/AGENDA_23Jan12.pdf
https://www.codepublishing.com/WA/CastleRock/html/CastleRock10/CastleRock1008.html#10.08.015

As for the code applying only to state highways, I don't believe that's the case.  The only part of RCW 46.61.415 that mentions state highways specifically is (6).  All other sections only mention "highways", which term is defined in RCW 46.04.197 as "every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public".  I'm no lawyer but, by my reading, there's no legal provision for any speed limit below 20 mph in the state of Washington.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2021, 10:34:46 PM
Also, if you guess correctly, you have 48 hours to post a new photo before someone else can go to ensure the game moves forward.

I'll jump in with the next challenge.

MPH
Male pronouns, please.

Sapphuby

This is Texas, so I'm gonna set a high parameter of 60 mph.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

JREwing78

MATraveler128

kphoger

Incorrect guesses
60 mph
65 mph
70 mph
Male pronouns, please.

CovalenceSTU

sprjus4

kphoger

Quote from: CovalenceSTU on June 28, 2023, 07:21:46 PM
55 mph

You got it!

This is on TX-163, just north of Comstock.  A rather fun and beautiful drive, if you ever get the chance.

https://goo.gl/maps/Gh9Zk4ezYWcDhNYEA

Quote from: kphoger on June 28, 2023, 09:33:21 AM

Male pronouns, please.

sprjus4

Given Texas, I'm surprised it's not at least 60 or 65 mph, to be honest.

kphoger

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 29, 2023, 08:58:30 PM
Given Texas, I'm surprised it's not at least 60 or 65 mph, to be honest.

Much of that highway is twisty and hilly, with plenty of flood gauges and whatnot.  A lot of the speed advisory tabs have values of 30 and 35 mph.  For much of it, maintaining 55 mph isn't even reasonable.  I just took a GSV shot from a comparatively easy stretch south of there.
Male pronouns, please.

doorknob60

The thread has been inactive for a while, but figure I'll post a new one after driving in some new areas recently. This is MPH.

cockroachking

algorerhythms

MATraveler128

JREwing78

cockroachking

CovalenceSTU

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.