User Content > Road Trips

Road trip to Denver via I-70. Suggestions to stay in Missouri and/or Kansas?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Strider:

--- Quote from: Rothman on September 03, 2023, 08:03:47 PM ---What exactly is the safety concern?

--- End quote ---

The world is a violent place. So, everything that potentially threaten my safety as a traveler.

Strider:

--- Quote from: dlsterner on September 03, 2023, 09:51:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Strider on September 03, 2023, 05:51:13 PM ---Hello all,

I am planning to visit Denver, Colorado for the first time in the first weekend of October. It will be 6 day road trip for me, so I will leave NC on Thursday using I-40 West going to Nashville, then up I-24 and going through Kentucky and Illinois to I-57, from there to I-64 West to St Louis, MO, then pick up I-70 from there and going all the way to Colorado in which I plan on arriving on Friday sometime. And then, on the way back to NC on the following Monday: the reverse route and finally arriving back in NC on Tuesday.

I plan on driving half of the total mileage before stopping for the night somewhere. Google Maps put the half way in Boonville, MO or Columbia, MO. (Between Greensboro and Denver) However, I don't know those cities very well....

The question is: Do you know of any towns that is safe for me to sleep in a hotel there overnight in Missouri and/or Kansas? (Or any suggestions would be great too.)

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on September 03, 2023, 06:11:51 PM ---Columbia is MO's flagship's college town, so you should be fine there. Also it's the larger of the two cities you've mentioned, so more hotel options.

--- End quote ---

One concern with Columbia being home to a major college (and one in the SEC) is the football schedule, which can wreak havoc on nearby motel and hotel availability (sometimes for a day or two before and after the games well).  Looks like on October 7, Missouri is hosting LSU.  Be prepared for the possibility that room availability may be limited.

--- End quote ---

You're correct. I just checked. Looks like Columbia, MO is a no-no.

roadman65:
Use the phone app and do what I do wherever I go. I book from it and saves me the trouble of searching and it’s great to not have to worry about payment at the front desk.

You can find a great list among many places along the route and you pick the price and lodging type as seeing and walking in to find the best deal is time consuming. This way with the apps you know ahead of time. Including special events that limit booking or raise the price at the time you travel.

J N Winkler:

--- Quote from: Strider on September 03, 2023, 05:51:13 PM ---I am planning to visit Denver, Colorado for the first time in the first weekend of October. It will be 6 day road trip for me, so I will leave NC on Thursday using I-40 West going to Nashville, then up I-24 and going through Kentucky and Illinois to I-57, from there to I-64 West to St Louis, MO, then pick up I-70 from there and going all the way to Colorado in which I plan on arriving on Friday sometime. And then, on the way back to NC on the following Monday: the reverse route and finally arriving back in NC on Tuesday.

I plan on driving half of the total mileage before stopping for the night somewhere. Google Maps put the half way in Boonville, MO or Columbia, MO. (Between Greensboro and Denver) However, I don't know those cities very well....
--- End quote ---

I have driven pretty much the entire itinerary except for the I-24/I-57 connection.  My concern would be that an overnight stop in mid-Missouri front-loads the outbound and back-loads the return journey with a lot of difficult mountain driving.  I-70 is also considerably more congested and geometrically deficient in Missouri than in Kansas and Colorado.

I would instead suggest stopping in the vicinity of St. Louis, say in Wentzville or one of the western suburbs on the way out and on the Illinois side on the way back.  This allows you to tackle I-70 in Missouri both ways with the sun at your back while sidestepping morning rush-hour traffic.

--- Quote from: Strider on September 03, 2023, 05:51:13 PM ---The question is: Do you know of any towns that are safe for me to sleep in a hotel there overnight in Missouri and/or Kansas?
--- End quote ---

I don't know of any towns that aren't, but common sense should be exercised.  When I travel, I usually try to empty out the passenger cabin before I leave the car parked for the night.

roadman65:

--- Quote from: J N Winkler on September 03, 2023, 10:18:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Strider on September 03, 2023, 05:51:13 PM ---I am planning to visit Denver, Colorado for the first time in the first weekend of October. It will be 6 day road trip for me, so I will leave NC on Thursday using I-40 West going to Nashville, then up I-24 and going through Kentucky and Illinois to I-57, from there to I-64 West to St Louis, MO, then pick up I-70 from there and going all the way to Colorado in which I plan on arriving on Friday sometime. And then, on the way back to NC on the following Monday: the reverse route and finally arriving back in NC on Tuesday.

--- End quote ---

I have driven pretty much the entire itinerary except for the I-24/I-57 connection.  My concern would be that an overnight stop in mid-Missouri front-loads the outbound and back-loads the return journey with a lot of difficult mountain driving.  I-70 is also considerably more congested and geometrically deficient in Missouri than in Kansas and Colorado.

I would instead suggest stopping in the vicinity of St. Louis, say in Wentzville or one of the western suburbs on the way out and on the Illinois side on the way back.  This allows you to tackle I-70 in Missouri both ways with the sun at your back while sidestepping morning rush-hour traffic.

--- Quote from: Strider on September 03, 2023, 05:51:13 PM ---The question is: Do you know of any towns that are safe for me to sleep in a hotel there overnight in Missouri and/or Kansas?
--- End quote ---

I don't know of any towns that aren't, but common sense should be exercised.  When I travel, I usually try to empty out the passenger cabin before I leave the car parked for the night.

--- End quote ---

I’ve stayed in Wentzville and had no issues. It’s a great motorist service community and far enough away from Columbia and  St. Louis to avoid traffic issues and high rates. It’s also very much a great location along the interstate and is where both I-64 and 70 converge.

Also Wright City nearby is also good, but haven’t stayed there but also a motel town for travelers.  It’s about ten minutes west of Wentzville.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version