News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Different Fonts!?

Started by chrislopezz, January 19, 2024, 10:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrislopezz

GA13-GA332End
Chris 886 (myself), CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

I took this photo a few months ago, it seems that there are 2 different fonts, why would the GDOT change one when broken?

(Sorry for the frame change)

formulanone

Not the best answer, but that's just Georgia being Georgia. GDOT and the contractors they work with are not consistent with signage practices.

Here's various examples of Georgia State Route 100:

(the last one was the same as the first, just using it as comparison to the third style)

In practice, they'd all be about the same "series" of the same font, except for necessary differences (consistent shield width and signage height/width limitations). But almost all places are not that consistent, and contractors typically have to make up a sign quickly.

Signage rarely comes from one central state manufacturing shop anymore; states / counties / cities / construction firms will work with an outside contractor that crosses multiple state lines. That's because the public in general is not picky about shield shape, route classification, and font scaling/widths, so as long as it points to the right place and isn't misspelled...then it makes the local news.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on January 19, 2024, 01:33:31 PM

How long do you think it would take that slow church to cross the street?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

epzik8

Quote from: chrislopezz on January 19, 2024, 10:22:25 AM

GA13-GA332End
Chris 886 (myself), CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

I took this photo a few months ago, it seems that there are 2 different fonts, why would the GDOT change one when broken?

(Sorry for the frame change)

I would assume it was adjusted statewide since the previous south marker was put up.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

chrislopezz

I have different variation below:

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2024, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 19, 2024, 01:33:31 PM

How long do you think it would take that slow church to cross the street?

333 conclaves, given ordinary time.

chrislopezz

I also found some more but I think it's from different "eras".

SEWIGuy

Yes. Some highway signage has different fonts than the norm. Not sure this is news and definitely not sure we need a thread full of pictures of them.

Scott5114

Part of the problem is that, as far as I can tell, the Georgia state route marker standard isn't actually available on their website. That makes it hard to check what's supposed to be used.

Georgia isn't the only state with route marker inconsistency, though. Good luck trying to figure out what font the word "Tennessee" is supposed to be in on their primary route marker. It doesn't say in the spec, and I know of at least four different fonts in use.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 22, 2024, 12:36:57 AM
Georgia isn't the only state with route marker inconsistency, though. Good luck trying to figure out what font the word "Tennessee" is supposed to be in on their primary route marker. It doesn't say in the spec, and I know of at least four different fonts in use.

So what you're saying is that the primary shields I make for the website I help run are more consistent than the ones in the field? Damn, lmao.

Sometimes it feels like out of the three states the Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia Railway ran through, ALDOT has the best, or at least most consistent, signage. There's plenty enough bad locally-maintained signage across this state to more than make-up for ALDOT's relative bright-spots, though...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.