News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Transportation Technology "Bombs".

Started by thenetwork, January 23, 2024, 12:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Quote from: kphoger on January 30, 2024, 12:09:17 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 30, 2024, 11:51:29 AM
1. Parallel parking

I don't find that to be true, because I can't tell from my backup camera exactly where the back end of my car is.

Neither can I, but after a little experimentation and observation (getting out of my vehicle and seeing how far it actually is from an object in comparison to the display) I know how close an object can appear in my display before I would hit it.

SEWIGuy

1. Parallel parking

I don't find that to be true, because I can't tell from my backup camera exactly where the back end of my car is.

Really? Cause in mine it makes it perfectly clear.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 30, 2024, 03:37:54 PM
1. Parallel parking

Really? Cause in mine it makes it perfectly clear.

There's a small buffer between where it claims the end of the car is and where the actual end of the car is.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

1995hoo

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 30, 2024, 12:30:00 PM
1. Parallel parking

Neither can I, but after a little experimentation and observation (getting out of my vehicle and seeing how far it actually is from an object in comparison to the display) I know how close an object can appear in my display before I would hit it.

In my wife's Acura, a set of yellow bars appears on the screen as you start getting closer to the vehicle behind you, and then they turn orange the closer you get. I've found that stopping when they turn orange is just right (whereas she is lousy at parallel parking and thinks stopping when they turn yellow is better).

I found the approach Tesla uses to be interesting—it tells you how many inches there are to the obstacle and then flashes "STOP" on the screen when you're about to hit something (I saw "STOP" when I parked facing some bushes near my brother-in-law's house, but I never parallel parked and thus don't know how effective it would be in that scenario).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pderocco

Isn't that like saying that you can't tell from your eyes exactly where your face is?

Rothman

1. Parallel parking

Huh.  I've used backup cameras in multiple models now.  All have been helpful and, worryingly, sometimes a replacement for good visibility out the rear window.

Have to say they've improved my parallel parking skills.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

My backup camera does three things:

1.  It displays an image in the rearview mirror.  There is no indication in that image of where the back end of the vehicle is, nor is there anything that pops up in the image when the car gets really close to anything, therefore it is not very useful.

2.  There are three indicator lights above the rear hatch.  It starts with one, then additional ones light up as the vehicle approaches an object.  Half the time I'm backing up, I'm looking over that shoulder, so it's arguably more useful, but it's basically just a deaf-friendly version of the next thing.

3.  A 'boop' sounds along with the first indicator light.  When the third indicator lights up, it goes 'boop boop boop boop boop ...'  This is the most useful of all.

None of the actually useful things have anything to do with the image displayed in the rearview mirror.

(Our car's name is Betty Boop.  That's because it has a large and curvy rear end, it is grey, and it goes boop.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on January 30, 2024, 06:18:49 PM
My backup camera does three things:

1.  It displays an image in the rearview mirror.  There is no indication in that image of where the back end of the vehicle is, nor is there anything that pops up in the image when the car gets really close to anything, therefore it is not very useful.

2.  There are three indicator lights above the rear hatch.  It starts with one, then additional ones light up as the vehicle approaches an object.  Half the time I'm backing up, I'm looking over that shoulder, so it's arguably more useful, but it's basically just a deaf-friendly version of the next thing.

3.  A 'boop' sounds along with the first indicator light.  When the third indicator lights up, it goes 'boop boop boop boop boop ...'  This is the most useful of all.

None of the actually useful things have anything to do with the image displayed in the rearview mirror.

(Our car's name is Betty Boop.  That's because it has a large and curvy rear end, it is grey, and it goes boop.)
You need a new car.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SeriesE

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 27, 2024, 11:05:26 PM
"Talking" cars

Back in the mid-1980s, several automakers introduced talking warnings, e.g., "Your keys are in the ignition." in a somewhat condescending voice.  This seemed to be almost universally loathed by motorists, not the least reason was that they essentially paid $1k more for a voice rather than a buzzer or chime.  I think this was a case of "because we can", since the technology for talking warnings was new at the time.

This is NOT to be confused with "KITT", the talking car in the TV series Knight Rider.  At least one episode had the person who commandeered the vehicle think it was just another voice synthesis thing, until KITT said "You ain't seen nothing yet."  The rogue was puzzled that the message used bad grammar.

Still very alive in Japan, by the way

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on January 30, 2024, 07:44:25 PM
You need a new car.

I mean, yeah, maybe.  But not because of the backup camera.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on January 27, 2024, 05:22:43 PM

Quote from: vdeane on January 27, 2024, 04:28:57 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 27, 2024, 10:49:41 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 26, 2024, 11:22:58 PM
Why would a car record everything you say?
To sell your data to third parties.

And possible blackmail.
Exactly.  Has any company been able to resist selling customer data to advertisers and who knows who else?  Not to mention getting recorded in the event recorder black box.

I don't want a car that has a camera to monitor me and potentially deem me "tired" or "distracted" based on what it assumes head and eye motions mean, either.

Then again, I think a lot of privacy concerns stem from anxiety about facing one's true insignificance or unimportance.  "If someone actually cares about the mundane conversations in my car, it must mean I am important!"  I've yet to be negatively affected because someone else has sold my "data."  Life goes on.

Possibly, but I can't help but wonder why Nissan and Kia make you agree to them collecting data on your sexual activity. Given that the policy also says this data can be used to comply with "governmental requests", and the way that Southern politics is going...

Quote from: vdeane on January 27, 2024, 04:28:57 PM
I'm also a member of a social group that not everyone likes, so I'm more sensitive to such things.  The last thing I need is to get doxxed by libsoftiktok or something.

Fortunately for you, libsoftiktok in particular probably isn't going to have time to dox you, since she's in charge of approving material for Oklahoma school libraries now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 30, 2024, 09:35:53 PM
Possibly, but I can't help but wonder why Nissan and Kia make you agree to them collecting data on your sexual activity. Given that the policy also says this data can be used to comply with "governmental requests", and the way that Southern politics is going...

Do you think this "sexual activity" thing refers to sex as such or rather certain procedures that occasionally take place after sex, which are legal in some jurisdictions but not others?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

J N Winkler

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 30, 2024, 10:33:01 PMDo you think this "sexual activity" thing refers to sex as such or rather certain procedures that occasionally take place after sex, which are legal in some jurisdictions but not others?

I followed the Jalopnik link and it seems Nissan's excuse is as follows:

*  State privacy laws vary in what they cover, so Nissan has to obtain consent for information that is collected incidentally through the use of geolocation services.

*  Nissan provides an opt-out.

None of this is to minimize the fact that the information is collected and sold, including to buyers in law enforcement, and this opens the door to criminalizing travel to another jurisdiction to access goods and services that are legal there.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 30, 2024, 10:33:01 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 30, 2024, 09:35:53 PM

Do you think this "sexual activity" thing refers to sex as such or rather certain procedures that occasionally take place after sex, which are legal in some jurisdictions but not others?

Sure. There's also certain kinds of sexual activity that are illegal in the South, but the laws are not enforced because the state is currently complying with a Supreme Court decision. Enforcement could happen if the Supreme Court changes its opinion, or the state no longer desires to remain in compliance with it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on January 28, 2024, 07:58:19 AM
Quote from: GaryV on January 28, 2024, 07:41:15 AM
Quote from: lepidopteran on January 27, 2024, 11:05:26 PM
"Talking" cars

Back in the mid-1980s, several automakers introduced talking warnings, e.g., "Your keys are in the ignition." in a somewhat condescending voice.  This seemed to be almost universally loathed by motorists, not the least reason was that they essentially paid $1k more for a voice rather than a buzzer or chime.  I think this was a case of "because we can", since the technology for talking warnings was new at the time.

"A door is ajar." No, a door is a door.

I worked at Chrysler, and one day we were looking up something in the "code guide" and found that you could order the warnings in various languages - French, Spanish, etc. We got into a discussion of how there should be regional accents available too. Then it devolved into coming up with things like Jewish Mother-in-Law or Brooklyn Gangster.
My uncle and aunt had a talking New Yorker in the later 1980s or so.

Reminds me of the Eddie Murphy "Delirious" comedy routine.

"Ding. Lights are on."

Waiting for it to say, "Ding. Somebody stole yo' bat'ry."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.