News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Streets that have a number as just part of the name

Started by Streetman, February 18, 2024, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Streetman

To help explain the topic, the best example is probably in Twentynine Palms, CA, which has 29 Palms Highway going through it. My town, Hamden CT, has two examples: Four Rod Rd. and Six Rod Hwy. (A rod is 16.5 feet; the names describe the original width of their rights-of-way.) Another example, which is my contender for most unusual street name in CT, is Twenty-Four Bumper Rd., signed on a CT-8 overpass in Harwinton. Any such in your area?

Big John

Six Flags Road in Austell GA, leading bto the theme park.

hotdogPi

Old Road to 9 Acre Corner, Concord, MA
Seven Star Rd., Groveland, MA

I assume you're excluding ordinals?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

One of the oddest ones of which I'm aware is Ben C. Pratt Six Mile Cypress Parkway in Fort Myers, Florida. I don't know why it has such a long name and I've never bothered to ask our relatives there whether they know.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Streetman

Quote from: 1 on February 18, 2024, 03:17:47 PM
Old Road to 9 Acre Corner, Concord, MA
Seven Star Rd., Groveland, MA

I assume you're excluding ordinals?
Yes, of course, exclude ordinals.

GaryV

Quote from: roadman65 on February 18, 2024, 03:30:52 PM
Nine Mile Road near Richmond, VA.
There must be hundreds or thousands of these across the Midwest.  Perhaps in other areas that used the same surveying techniques of township and range.

Although that might technically violate the restriction on ordinals. It's not quite 1st, 2nd, 3rd. But 9 Mile is 9 miles from the baseline, 10 Mile is another mile along, then 11 Mile, 12 Mile, etc.

Streetman

A quick search shows there are many roads named One Mile, Two Mile, Three Mile, etc., so I would exclude those.

GaryV

There is a Six Mile Hill Road outside Kamloops, BC. (I found it searching for a name that I thought I'd remembered in Michigan, but I didn't find that one.)

ClassicHasClass

jt4

cwf1701

Quote from: Streetman on February 18, 2024, 04:24:02 PM
A quick search shows there are many roads named One Mile, Two Mile, Three Mile, etc., so I would exclude those.
More so in metro Detroit. the lowest signed is 5 Mile, while the highest signed mile road is 37 Mile road in Macomb County. The Mile roads in Detroit is miles from Downtown Detroit.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 18, 2024, 03:42:21 PM
One of the oddest ones of which I'm aware is Ben C. Pratt Six Mile Cypress Parkway in Fort Myers, Florida. I don't know why it has such a long name and I've never bothered to ask our relatives there whether they know.

It's thought to be the approximate distance to Fort Myers from the camp on the slough, as noted during the Ingraham Expedition (to plan a Miami-to-Ft. Myers railway). Though they seemed to be off by a mile, but it kind of makes sense, based on distances.

I think the memorial name was added on much more recently.

IowaTraveler

Streetman

Is there a common way to shorten that name? It wouldn't fit within the UPS limit of 30 characters in the address line. It would fit with the USPS limit of 46 characters.

NWI_Irish96

I think what you're looking for are roads with numbers in the name that aren't part of a sequential system.

I can't think of any off the top of my head in Indiana.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jp the roadgeek

Also a Four Rod Rd in Berlin, CT
Ten Acre Rd, New Britain. CT
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

The traffic circle where NJ Routes 70 & 72 meet is known as the Four Mile Circle. Four Mile is also an unincorporated community located within Woodland Twp, Burlington County, NJ.

webny99

There are two variants of this in my area, Five Mile Line Rd and Fairport Nine Mile Point Rd. Still probably not what you are looking for, but both are random one-offs and not part of a numbering system, so I figured I would throw them out there.

IowaTraveler

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for since they're not unusual or unique names, but old highway alignments with names along the lines of "Old Hwy ___" would also be examples of numbers in names that aren't part of an ordered system (Unless you count the route number itself as part of an ordered system).

Streetman

Quote from: IowaTraveler on February 18, 2024, 07:24:06 PM
I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for since they're not unusual or unique names, but old highway alignments with names along the lines of "Old Hwy ___" would also be examples of numbers in names that aren't part of an ordered system (Unless you count the route number itself as part of an ordered system).
Again, a Google Maps search turns up lots of "Old Hwy ___" and "Old Route ___" all over the place, so I would rule those out.

1995hoo

The references to Virginia prompt me to think of Three Chopt Road, which is also sometimes called Three Notch'd Road in reference to the particular trail blaze that was used in colonial times to mark the route. The road supposedly follows the approximate route the governor and General Assembly used to escape the Brits after Jack Jouett's Ride (a major historical event you learn about in fourth grade if you grow up in Virginia—he rode 40 miles west overnight from eastern Louisa County to Charlottesville to warn Governor Thomas Jefferson and the General Assembly that British cavalry were coming to try to arrest them, and he made the ride in time for all but seven members to escape to Staunton via Three Chopt Road before the British came).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

epzik8

Honorific street names tend to be uncompromising with regard to length.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cwf1701

I remember, before the area was rebuilt, there was a exit On I-75 near Dayton OH for Stop Eight road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.