News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Non-freeway/tollway full-service rest areas

Started by index, March 09, 2024, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2024, 03:10:00 PM
If someone posts in an old thread, all too often someone else will jump in wondering why they posted in an old thread.

From what I've seen, people might say something like "holy exhumation, Batman!" or whatever, but then they're more than happy to actually resurrect the old discussion with new thoughts.  I haven't seen anyone in recent times actually suggest that it was a bad idea to exhume the thread.

Assuming the new post genuinely adds to the conversation, that is.  Necro-posting with something like "Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either" rightly deserves the nay-sayers' ire.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2024, 03:10:00 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 13, 2024, 07:22:32 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on March 13, 2024, 05:34:06 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2024, 02:59:53 PM
Wondering if the increase in duplicate threads we're seeing recently is due to some weird incentives for attention.

Might have to do with the red banner at the top of each topic that hasn't had a post in 4 months:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Not exactly encouraging folks to keep everything in singular threads.
4 months does seem like a short time to deem a topic expired, given how threads evolve here.

It's unfortunate.  Keeping information in one thread rather than regurgitating old discussions is just better organization.

If someone posts in an old thread, all too often someone else will jump in wondering why they posted in an old thread.

If someone creates a new thread, someone else will locate an old thread from 1947 and say we've already had a thread on this.

This site is really weird about this too. I've been on plenty of message boards where topics repeat and people don't get all fired up about it.  This was just posted yesterday on the 6-lane interstate topic.

"Am of belief there is another thread with this very same topic...Might to a good idea to merge."

This isn't terribly helpful. The poster didn't post the topic. And if it hasn't been posted in for awhile, there is no harm in a new topic being started up.  I certainly will do a short search to see if something has been addressed, but if I can't quickly find something will just start something new.

Rothman

The issue for me is when we have a thread where someone asks for examples of some phenomenon and we go through the rigamarole of doing so...and then a short time later, someone comes along and asks the same thing.

I can see topics repeating on other forums more easily, since they're usually not about coming up with a list or grouping of items.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

boilerup25

bwana39

Wondering if the increase in duplicate threads we're seeing recently is due to some weird incentives for attention.

Might have to do with the red banner at the top of each topic that hasn't had a post in 4 months:

4 months does seem like a short time to deem a topic expired, given how threads evolve here.

It's unfortunate.  Keeping information in one thread rather than regurgitating old discussions is just better organization.

Yeah and some folks get really discourteous about you reviving a "zombie thread" even when it is the same topic.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Rothman

Quote from: bwana39 on March 15, 2024, 11:04:45 PM

Yeah and some folks get really discourteous about you reviving a "zombie thread" even when it is the same topic.
The examples that come to my mind on that are when someone bumps a very old thread just to add a mundane comment or something that was already said in the thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

amroad17

OH 32 has four full service rest areas (west to east)...

1.  Just west of Sardinia on the EB side.
     2.  13 miles east of Peebles on the EB side.
     3.  2 miles east of Albany on the WB side.
     4.  3 miles east of Coolville on the EB side.

I would consider the Eastern Shore Welcome Center on US 13 just north of the end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel a full service rest area along with the Welcome Center just south of the VA/MD line on US 13 in New Church.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

rhen_var

There's one along the Seney Stretch on M-28 in Michigan's UP.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: boilerup25 on March 15, 2024, 10:12:22 PM
Here another arguable one I found along I-90 in Montana (yes, it's I-90. But this rest area is directly accessible from the surface street, and you have to use a block of the surface street to get there). This may be closed, though.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+19Th+Ave+Parking/@45.7118979,-111.0649084,204m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x53454683410e1fb5:0xd710769fc3402f9f!8m2!3d45.7115159!4d-111.0637306!16s%2Fg%2F11tjbv96ms?entry=ttu

Fun fact: I've been to this one.

Funner fact: Colorado has a whole bunch that you exit the interstate for. I believe it's the standard there. Also, there's a rest area west of Del Norte on US-160:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2024, 07:56:38 PM
I can see topics repeating on other forums more easily, since they're usually not about coming up with a list or grouping of items.

If you want the absolute best way of managing a list like that, it would be putting one together in the Annex section of the wiki. But that would make the social aspect of putting together a list less prominent.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Robinsml

Three in Kansas: US-400/US-196 north of Cherryvale, US-400 just east of Beaumont, and US-75 north of Yates Center.

One in Broadus, Montana on US-212.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.