News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSR_317

Also interesting to note, the state line does not follow the MIDDLE of the river, as is does in many river-border situations, but is at the North Bank (as it was back when IN became a state in 1816). I believe that is the case with KY's border with OH and IL as well. Because KY was a state before their neighbors to the north, they claimed the ENTIRE River (greedy bastards!  :pan: ) as it existed back then. As noted by abqtraveler above, the river has shifted course in several places since those times. Ellis Park (Horse) Racing & Gaming actually lies north of the Ohio River, along the east side of US 41, but is nonetheless still in the Bluegrass State. So the entire I-69 bridge will be in KY, with the IN approach sited north of Waterworks Road (which approximates the border in this area).

BTW, further to the east there exists a point where you can actually stand in Indiana and look due north into Kentucky!

abqtraveler

Quote from: SSR_317 on March 07, 2021, 07:00:59 PM
Also interesting to note, the state line does not follow the MIDDLE of the river, as is does in many river-border situations, but is at the North Bank (as it was back when IN became a state in 1816). I believe that is the case with KY's border with OH and IL as well. Because KY was a state before their neighbors to the north, they claimed the ENTIRE River (greedy bastards!  :pan: ) as it existed back then. As noted by abqtraveler above, the river has shifted course in several places since those times. Ellis Park (Horse) Racing & Gaming actually lies north of the Ohio River, along the east side of US 41, but is nonetheless still in the Bluegrass State. So the entire I-69 bridge will be in KY, with the IN approach sited north of Waterworks Road (which approximates the border in this area).

BTW, further to the east there exists a point where you can actually stand in Indiana and look due north into Kentucky!

It's a similar situation to the border between New Hampshire and Vermont, where the actual border between those two states lies along the west bank of the Connecticut River, not in the middle of the river.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Avalanchez71

I have never encountered problems crossing over on US 41.  Can they not just add another segment like the way it is now?  No need for another set of bridges.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 08, 2021, 01:28:30 PM
I have never encountered problems crossing over on US 41.  Can they not just add another segment like the way it is now?  No need for another set of bridges.
it's the age of the bridges that is a concern.  The newest of the bridges is over 50 years old, and the other is about 80.  They also were not built with current earthquake protocols.  If we have one of the "big ones", those bridges are most likely doomed.

seicer

I am still surprised at the decision to keep the nearly 90-year-old bridge over the 55-year-old one.

silverback1065

Quote from: seicer on March 08, 2021, 03:05:29 PM
I am still surprised at the decision to keep the nearly 90-year-old bridge over the 55-year-old one.

both bridges will stay, one will be turned into a ped bridge though. also they need to keep 1 bridge for 41 because they need a free alt. I think that's a requirement.  :hmmm:

RoadWarrior56

I lived in Evansville for many years in my youth.  Without knowing the details of the study or the reasoning behind the decision, I can speculate on 2 reasons that the original bridge (NB) was kept for vehicular traffic.  The first reason the old bridge was likely selected is because it is wider than the SB bridge.  I think that bridge was originally operated with 3 lanes (although those lanes would had been narrow), although that was before my time, having been born in '56.  The other reason is that I think there are utilities on the original bridge, and probably not on the SB bridge that was opened in 1966.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Life in Paradise on March 08, 2021, 02:30:00 PM
it's the age of the bridges that is a concern.  The newest of the bridges is over 50 years old, and the other is about 80.  They also were not built with current earthquake protocols.  If we have one of the "big ones", those bridges are most likely doomed.
There are no plans to retrofit and rehabilitate these old bridges?

abqtraveler

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 08, 2021, 06:43:33 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on March 08, 2021, 02:30:00 PM
There are no plans to retrofit and rehabilitate these old bridges?

Both bridges are too narrow to meet interstate standards: they lack shoulders and the lane widths on the 1932 bridge are less than the standard 12 feet required for interstate designation. Because both spans are cantilever truss designs with the roadway going through the trusses, simply widening the bridge deck is not an option. Both spans would have to be completely demolished and rebuilt to accommodate roadways that meet interstate standards.

The preferred option being written into the I-69 ORX Environmental Impact Statement is to build a new toll bridge for I-69 about 3 miles east of the US-41 bridges. After the I-69 bridge opens, the 1965 (southbound) span of the US-41 bridges would be closed and demolished. The 1932 (northbound) span would be rehabilitated and reconfigured to carry two lanes of US-41 for local traffic between Henderson and Evansville--toll free.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Plutonic Panda

I understand they can't be used for the I-69 bridges but I meant once the new tolled bridges are built will the state not rehab and retrofit the older ones to be safe and reliable?

GreenLanternCorps

I think it is simply that the 90 year old bridge was built better and is in better condition than it's newer twin.

Georgia

They are keeping the one that they feel is presumably cheaper/easier to maintain and Avalanchez, if you have never had a problem crossing those bridges, you havent been on them much.  Even just going back up to east central Illinois once to 3 times a year, i have had to wait on the Henderson side or on the approaches at least a half dozen times in 10 years.   

roadman65

I think it's what is on the south side of the bridges as well. Too much development for upgrade to freeway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abqtraveler

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on March 09, 2021, 07:12:34 AM

I think it is simply that the 90 year old bridge was built better and is in better condition than it's newer twin.

Also, the 1932 bridge is considered "historical" whereas the 1965 span is not.

hbelkins

If I was in charge, both bridges would be kept in use until one of them became in need of costly and substantive maintenance, such as painting or a complete redecking. Then I would close that bridge but leave it standing as a pedestrian walkway. I would keep the southbound bridge open to traffic, as it has wider lanes. I've driven both of them a few times.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

What pedestrian traffic?

silverback1065

I think they dropped the ped bridge idea. that was the original plan for the other bridge. maybe the cost caused them to change.

BrianP

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 09, 2021, 12:23:34 AM
The preferred option being written into the I-69 ORX Environmental Impact Statement is to build a new toll bridge for I-69 about 3 miles east of the US-41 bridges. After the I-69 bridge opens, the 1965 (southbound) span of the US-41 bridges would be closed and demolished. The 1932 (northbound) span would be rehabilitated and reconfigured to carry two lanes of US-41 for local traffic between Henderson and Evansville--toll free.
I'm no engineer but I'd guess that the southbound bridge will be demolished because it uses eyebar joints which the northbound bridge does not.

For an example see here.

QuoteSince  the  collapse  of  the  Silver  Bridge,  there  has  been  considerable  public  and  professional   concern   over   the   safety   of   existing   bridges,   especially   those   containing  eyebars.    Many  of  these  structures  have  been  inspected  and  analyzed  (see  Figure  8.7.6).    As  a  result,  costly  structural  modifications  and  retrofits were  made  to  many  of  these  bridges  (see  Figure  8.7.7),  while  some  others  have  been  demolished.    Eyebars  are  rarely  used  in  new  bridge  designs  but  are  present  on  many existing bridges.

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Engineering/Structures/bridge%20operations%20and%20maintenance/Bridge%20Inspectors%20Reference%20Manual/Section8b-%20Inspection%20and%20Evaluation%20of%20Common%20Steel%20Superstructures.pdf

So the northbound bridge uses a safer design. 

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 09, 2021, 01:51:23 PM
What pedestrian traffic?
A trail between Evensberg and Henderson would be a great asset for the area and a dedicated pedestrian/bike bridge over the river should be part of it.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 09, 2021, 06:59:15 PM
What pedestrian traffic?
A trail between Evensberg and Henderson would be a great asset for the area and a dedicated pedestrian/bike bridge over the river should be part of it.
They actually could incorporate it into the I-69 bridge like they did the I-265 bridge near Louisville.  They have trails going up to it and then away on the other side of the bridge.  That also could link into the trail system that the greater Evansville area has been building.

hbelkins

Quote from: Life in Paradise on March 10, 2021, 01:06:44 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 09, 2021, 06:59:15 PM
What pedestrian traffic?
They actually could incorporate it into the I-69 bridge like they did the I-265 bridge near Louisville.  They have trails going up to it and then away on the other side of the bridge.  That also could link into the trail system that the greater Evansville area has been building.

The existing bridges are adjacent to a Kentucky recreational state park. The new I-69 span would be a couple of miles upstream from there. I'd think a pedestrian walkway over the Ohio River would be well-received, like the Big Four in Louisville or the Purple People in Cincinnati.

hbelkins

Quote from: BrianP on March 09, 2021, 05:50:24 PM
I'm no engineer but I'd guess that the southbound bridge will be demolished because it uses eyebar joints which the northbound bridge does not.

For an example see here.

QuoteSince  the  collapse  of  the  Silver  Bridge,  there  has  been  considerable  public  and  professional   concern   over   the   safety   of   existing   bridges,   especially   those   containing  eyebars.    Many  of  these  structures  have  been  inspected  and  analyzed  (see  Figure  8.7.6).    As  a  result,  costly  structural  modifications  and  retrofits were  made  to  many  of  these  bridges  (see  Figure  8.7.7),  while  some  others  have  been  demolished.    Eyebars  are  rarely  used  in  new  bridge  designs  but  are  present  on  many existing bridges.

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Engineering/Structures/bridge%20operations%20and%20maintenance/Bridge%20Inspectors%20Reference%20Manual/Section8b-%20Inspection%20and%20Evaluation%20of%20Common%20Steel%20Superstructures.pdf

OK, I"m confused now. The image posted here shows the beams on the older bridge. You can tell the 1960s-era bridge by the style of edge rail that's used. That type of edge railing was commonly used by Kentucky when bridges were built in the 60s. The older (northbound) bridge is the one with the design similar to the Silver Bridge.

BrianP

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2021, 01:41:38 PM

For an example see here.

OK, I"m confused now. The image posted here shows the beams on the older bridge. You can tell the 1960s-era bridge by the style of edge rail that's used. That type of edge railing was commonly used by Kentucky when bridges were built in the 60s. The older (northbound) bridge is the one with the design similar to the Silver Bridge.
I got my directions mixed.  The northbound bridge has the eyebars. 

But it's unclear which is the older bridge and which is being kept.

abqtraveler

Quote from: BrianP on March 10, 2021, 01:58:18 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2021, 01:41:38 PM

For an example see here.

I got my directions mixed.  The northbound bridge has the eyebars. 

But it's unclear which is the older bridge and which is being kept.

Looking at the Street View in Google Maps, I see the northbound bridge has eyebar assemblies near the top of each span. IMO, and given the history of recent bridge disasters, eyebars belong in the same category as pin-and-hanger assemblies.  Don't use them, and if you have eyebars, find a way to get rid of them ASAP.

mvak36

https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/i-69-ohio-river-crossing-virtual-public-meeting-scheduled/

QuoteA virtual public meeting is scheduled for April 1 to provide an update on the proposed I-69 Ohio River Crossing (I-69 ORX). The meeting is an opportunity to learn more about the preferred alternative, how the Project Team reached its decision, refinements made and next steps for the project.

Central Alternative 1B Modified has been identified as the single preferred alternative. It includes a four-lane I-69 bridge and retains one US 41 bridge for local traffic. Only the I-69 bridge will be tolled. It includes 11.2 miles of new interstate, including 8.4 miles on new terrain and 2.8 miles of upgrades to US 41.

The alignment is unchanged from the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) published in December 2018. The preferred alternative is "modified"  because additional design work has resulted in modifications to each of the interchanges to improve operations and reduce project costs.

Next Steps

The combined Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) and Record of Decision (ROD) are expected this fall. The Project Team will publish the FEIS identifying the selected alternative and receive a ROD from the Federal Highway Administration. The ROD signifies final approval of the selected alternative. The initial financial plan and project management plan will then be developed. Construction of I-69 ORX Section 1 is expected to begin in 2022.

ORX Sections 1 and 2

I-69 ORX is divided into two sections for construction. The project study area remains the same. I-69 ORX Section 1 focuses on improvements in Henderson and extends from KY 425 to US 60. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is overseeing the project.

I-69 ORX Section 2 is a bistate project between Indiana and Kentucky that will complete the I-69 connection from US 60 in Henderson to I-69 in Evansville. It includes the new 4-lane river crossing.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.