News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Plano TX US 75 Historic Photo Interesting Guide Signs

Started by Brian556, December 24, 2018, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This is US 75 in Plano TX. Lots of interesting stuff here. The FM 544 Plano sign is two separate panels. The exit number sign is round. The EXIT gore sign is on the wrong side of the road, and has an Oklahoma-style advisory speed panel under it.

Also, this looks 70's by the cars. Anybody know what year TxDOT started switched to green guide signs?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213916399410023&set=gm.2307370382825095&type=3&theater

txstateends

Definitely the look used during my childhood years there.

Never understood why US 75 kept this format so long, when the other freeways/interstates already had the BGSes and exit tabs we know today. 

It was definitely after 1980 when US 75 finally got rid of these, because a scene from "Dallas" that aired in the fall that year (during the season premiere ep) which was filmed at US 75/Parker Road still had this style of signage then.

As for green guide signs, my first sighting of them off-freeways/interstates was in the mid-late 1970s.  Quite the WTH moment for me, I couldn't believe it.  I had no idea that the black-on-white style was about to go away.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Road Hog

Looks like a southbound view from the west shoulder. I'd love to get down there and get a modern-day shot from the same spot, but I might be standing on the frontage road!

txstateends

Quote from: Road Hog on December 25, 2018, 10:47:37 AM
Looks like a southbound view from the west shoulder. I'd love to get down there and get a modern-day shot from the same spot, but I might be standing on the frontage road!

Nope, the other way around.  The Enco was at the NE corner of 15th, the Mobil was on the SE corner.
Not sure how well you'll do with that shot, unless the work along there got done recently. 

MaxConcrete

Here is a 1968 view in Richardson, a few miles south of the Plano view, from the Dallas-Fort Worth Freeways book http://dfwfreeways.com/

This sign also featured the circular exit number.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

txstateends

My parents both worked for Collins, my dad was a radio field engineer, while my mother worked the PBX/switchboard.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.