News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on December 09, 2012, 05:48:51 PM
Quote from: apeman33 on December 09, 2012, 02:20:52 AM
Anyone in the area planning on attending?
Tentatively yes.

Star-studded I-49 fete set in Joplin on Wednesday:

official state delegations from Arkansas and Louisiana will take part in the noon event in Joplin's East Middle School Gymnasium at 7501 E. 26th St.

Maybe you can buttonhole the Arkansas delegation and set them straight on the US 49/ I-49 nonsense ...  :pan:

O Tamandua

Cool thing.  Yesterday at the Jane, MO Walmart (which has a Pineville address...Pineville's where as of today Missouri's I-49 section currently ends) I saw at the checkouts the Rand McNally 2013 atlas.  It has I-49 from Kansas City to Pineville in its Missouri map.  As a comparison, from what I saw not even the brand new I-69 sections in Houston were "shielded", so this was cool to see.

Another thing...on the Missouri map right below the state line it showed Bella Vista/Bentonville/Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville with a "box" around them indicating a metro area with its own inset map on the Arkansas page.  What was funny was it had, at the northern end of I-540, a question mark where that route currently ends at south Bella Vista.  I wasn't sure if that "?" meant a visitor info center (there is one in Bella Vista farther north off U.S. 71) but regardless it looks like the mapmakers saw that the Interstate ends at BV for no logical reason with a gap all the way to Pineville, and said "What?..."

bugo

I-540 doesn't end in Bella Vista, it ends at US 62.  I know it doesn't make any sense.

O Tamandua

Quote from: bugo on December 12, 2012, 10:37:30 AM
I-540 doesn't end in Bella Vista, it ends at US 62.  I know it doesn't make any sense.

Indeed.  It just seems like it ends at BV because that's where you're entering when you reach the first stoplight on US 71 at the bottom of the hill when the Interstate signs end driving northbound.

bugo

The reason it ends at US 62 is (according to AHTD) AASHTO said that it had to end at a "major route."  US 71B isn't a "major route?"  Is Route H in Pineville a "major route?"

roadman65

I am still trying to figure out why FHWA will not let AR sign the section of I-49 sough of Texarkana, when it does connect with I-30.   Lots a strange occurrences in the world of roads.

It all depends how an engineer or polititian interprets things.  We are all human, and what one person thinks is different from another.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

It doesn't connect to I-30...yet.  The I-30/AR 245 interchange is a diamond.  A "bypass" is being constructed and I think it's supposed to open next year.

Grzrd

Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2012, 01:09:31 PM
I am still trying to figure out why FHWA will not let AR sign the section of I-49 sough of Texarkana

It's really more about hesitance on the part of AHTD to re-apply to AASHTO for the designation:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3324.msg188629#msg188629

For Arkansas to be able to rename I-540 to I-49 (and Arkansas Highway 549 to I‑49), US 49 will have to be either renumbered or changed from a US Highway to a State Highway.

As noted downthread in the prior discussion, there are plenty of exceptions to the rule about which AHTD expresses concern.

txstateends

Quote from: O Tamandua on December 12, 2012, 09:38:53 AMWhat was funny was it had, at the northern end of I-540, a question mark where that route currently ends at south Bella Vista.  I wasn't sure if that "?" meant a visitor info center (there is one in Bella Vista farther north off U.S. 71)

It does mean a visitor info center, although it might look amusing to put the question mark box at a certain point of what's-supposed-to-be-here or does-this-road-continue, or the like.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

mcdonaat

Quote from: Grzrd on December 12, 2012, 01:21:23 PM
I am still trying to figure out why FHWA will not let AR sign the section of I-49 sough of Texarkana

It's really more about hesitance on the part of AHTD to re-apply to AASHTO for the designation:

For Arkansas to be able to rename I-540 to I-49 (and Arkansas Highway 549 to I‑49), US 49 will have to be either renumbered or changed from a US Highway to a State Highway.

As noted downthread in the prior discussion, there are plenty of exceptions to the rule about which AHTD expresses concern.
Here's a logical idea - renumber US 49 in Arkansas to AR 49. Send US 49 up MS 3 to US 61, then to Memphis. Extend it just far enough into Tennessee to meet that 300-mile mark, then terminate it at the next available US highway.

rte66man

Quote from: mcdonaat on December 12, 2012, 02:13:31 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on December 12, 2012, 01:21:23 PM

Here's a logical idea - renumber US 49 in Arkansas to AR 49. Send US 49 up MS 3 to US 61, then to Memphis. Extend it just far enough into Tennessee to meet that 300-mile mark, then terminate it at the next available US highway.

That would mean a long co-signing with US61. The next available highway would be I-55 at the Nonconnah Yards in Memphis.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

mcdonaat

Quote from: rte66man on December 12, 2012, 02:30:36 PM

That would mean a long co-signing with US61. The next available highway would be I-55 at the Nonconnah Yards in Memphis.

rte66man
Alas, send it along some TN state roads. Maybe even extend it north into Illinois :P

agentsteel53

how did Illinois get its I-24/US-24 exemption?

or, to use an example which seems much more likely attributable to Illinois politics... US-74/I-74 anyone!?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

txstateends

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

ShawnP

Hate to rain on the parade.

But those damn lights just need to be brought out.

http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/road-rage/Content?oid=2177879

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ShawnP on December 12, 2012, 04:57:26 PM

and how about that non-sequitur comment left in reply?

jake@aaroads.com

apeman33

Pictures from Joplin:

The first sign I saw on Range Line when I arrived. This is down at 32nd and Range Line (facing south). All the other shields were still covered when I arrived.

Stuck in the right-hand lane at this point, I looped around via 32nd, Connecticut and 20th back to Range Line and saw this:

It's mounted on a light post just south of 20th. I didn't see it the first time around, so I don't know if it was covered or not initially.
From there, I went down to 32nd/Route FF and headed to its junction with I-49.

I had to stay in the car for this, so it's not a good view. If you look carefully, you'll see that not only is the I-49 shield neutered, so is the new I-44 shield.

Drove down to the next road, turned around and got this shot:

A clear shot of an I-49 shield without a state name.

Also in the general area:
* - No I-49 shields were mounted on BGSes yet except one, which was on the sign for the southbound ramp facing westbound traffic on FF (directing cars to Fort Smith). It would have put me in an unsafe position to take a picture.
* - No I-49 shields on the BGSes on I-44 that I could see from the 32nd St. overpass of I-44.
* - The yellow sign telling "ALL TRUCKS USE..." in the Flying J parking lot still had its I-49 shield covered.

At this point, I needed to get back to Fort Scott for work, so I went back up via Duquesne Road, Zora St., and Range Line and saw that the I-49 shields that were covered at Madison and MacArthur in Webb City when I arrived....

...had been uncovered as had the first reassurance shield east of the intersection.

agentsteel53

bleh.  Missouri had been one of the better states at consistently using the state name. 

jake@aaroads.com

O Tamandua

Fascinating that Joplin is now a "two-interstate" town...and really poised to be a key crossroads.

Someone elsewhere has been talking about interstates paralleling major railroad corridors.  Part of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe "transcon" route parallels I-44 (St. Louis to Tulsa stretch) and I-44 (also paralleling Route 66) is really part of the shortest interstate route between New York and Los Angeles.  Meanwhile, I-49 is going to be, eventually, the shortest route between the Canadian heartland, Mexico and the Gulf of Mexico, it paralleling the Kansas City Southern railroad, the shortest route between KC and the Gulf.

Even with the horrible tornado of last year, I'm still amazed at some of the development (much of it transportation related) I've seen in far south Joplin.  It will be interesting to see what that city does as this new interstate gets further toward completion.

bugo

AHTD is clueless.  This is nothing new.

US71

I found a named shield: half a dozen were handed out as "thank you's" to various MoDOT folks. It was really hard not to mug the gentleman since he had two shields ;)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ShawnP

I know that I bang the drum frequently. But if you have ever experienced those lights you understand. A death trap in the waiting.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ShawnP on December 13, 2012, 11:22:07 AM
I know that I bang the drum frequently. But if you have ever experienced those lights you understand. A death trap in the waiting.

especially with the autonomous roving guncars.

QuoteBland was in the car that killed my brother, William McCon. Both Bland brother,s were in the car that called my brother to the car that shot and killed my brother William McCon. On 62 nd College. They Wouldn't tell the truth But God knows Everything !

(emphasis mine)

I can't get over that dude; he's an unintentional riot.

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: ShawnP on December 12, 2012, 04:57:26 PM

It will likely take a lawsuit to remedy the problem as much as a lawsuit helped create the problem.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.