News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Quote from: Road Hog on August 24, 2021, 07:15:09 PM
I'm still amazed at how rural McDonald County still is, being so close to a metro area of half a million people. The fact that it's so rural in itself should be an attraction. Is the cost of living just higher in Missouri?

It's one of the more inexpensive states to live in and is currently #9 according to the Council for Community & Economic Research (C2ER). St Louis is probably the most expensive city in the state, and having lived there until three years ago I can say it's still fairly cheap to live there. The Hancock Amendment keeps taxes lower than they would otherwise be.

MikieTimT

Quote from: skluth on August 25, 2021, 06:19:01 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on August 24, 2021, 07:15:09 PM
I'm still amazed at how rural McDonald County still is, being so close to a metro area of half a million people. The fact that it's so rural in itself should be an attraction. Is the cost of living just higher in Missouri?

It's one of the more inexpensive states to live in and is currently #9 according to the Council for Community & Economic Research (C2ER). St Louis is probably the most expensive city in the state, and having lived there until three years ago I can say it's still fairly cheap to live there. The Hancock Amendment keeps taxes lower than they would otherwise be.

I think it is primed to shoot up along MO-90, which they just resurfaced completely between US-71 and Noel, MO, other than the I-49 overpass, which is about to get worked on this week with ramp paving.  Pineville and Anderson are likely to undergo a doubling in population over the next 20 years as well with the convenient access to NWA next month.

ChimpOnTheWheel

Is it scheduled to open on time? My trip to NW Arkansas got pushed forward to the (first or second? I'm terrible with counting) weekend of October, and I'm slightly worried that it may not be done before I go. (I'm going by October 8, I believe.)
Just a casual.

US71

Quote from: ChimpOnTheWheel on September 13, 2021, 05:00:27 PM
Is it scheduled to open on time? My trip to NW Arkansas got pushed forward to the (first or second? I'm terrible with counting) weekend of October, and I'm slightly worried that it may not be done before I go. (I'm going by October 8, I believe.)

ARDOT is waffling a little. The Ribbon Cutting will be Sept 30,  It MAY be another week or two before it officially opens.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

It's official!

I-49 Ribbon Cutting
September 30  2021
Arkansas/Missouri State Line.

Road is expected to open October 1.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ChimpOnTheWheel

I was ecstatic to see the article confirming that ARDOT and MoDOT plan on opening the BVB (I-49) exactly one week before my trip! Still am ecstatic...

EDIT:

Should probably mention overhead signs are going up on I-49 in Pineville tonight, according to the MoDOT website.
Just a casual.

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on September 16, 2021, 12:42:59 PM
It's official!

I-49 Ribbon Cutting
September 30  2021
Arkansas/Missouri State Line.

Road is expected to open October 1.

That's great to hear. I might not make it down there till later in October but glad to see it's finally close to being done.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Bobby5280

Hopefully once the BVB is fully opened it will create added pressure to get I-49 projects moving along in the Fort Smith area.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 20, 2021, 10:31:36 PM
Hopefully once the BVB is fully opened it will create added pressure to get I-49 projects moving along in the Fort Smith area.

It'll be Super-2 for a while for any of the rest of Arkansas' portion without significant federal help.

sprjus4

^ At the very least, at least a high quality super 2 65 mph highway will still be a significant improvement over the current condition. Add in alternating passing lanes, maintain a limited access design, and build in eventual parallel widening to meet full interstate standards in the future.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 21, 2021, 12:42:16 AM
^ At the very least, at least a high quality super 2 65 mph highway will still be a significant improvement over the current condition. Add in alternating passing lanes, maintain a limited access design, and build in eventual parallel widening to meet full interstate standards in the future.

It's the Arkansas' way!  :bigass:

roadman65

https://katv.com/news/local/bella-vista-bypass-to-open-oct-1-as-part-of-interstate-49

They actually finished it in a year and a half? Considering other projects take longer this is a accomplishment in the construction industry.

Heck, the Wittpenn Bridge in NJ took ten years and it's still pending completion.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

I know everybody is happy that the project is finally coming to an end, and a badly needed one too.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

edwaleni

Quote from: roadman65 on September 22, 2021, 08:20:24 PM
https://katv.com/news/local/bella-vista-bypass-to-open-oct-1-as-part-of-interstate-49

They actually finished it in a year and a half? Considering other projects take longer this is a accomplishment in the construction industry.

Heck, the Wittpenn Bridge in NJ took ten years and it's still pending completion.

Wittpenn is a complex draw bridge in a urban/port district whereas the I-49 Missouri segment is a very rural area of the country, where MoDOT owned the ROW and had the subs lined up to respond to the bids very quickly.

MoDOT had been spending the money to update the EIS and construction plan continuously.

i don't want to speak negatively about NJDOT, but even the new Tappan Zee took NY a long time to get through the system.

If the Wittpenn was say, crossing the Arkansas River at Fort Smith, that might be a better comparison.

SkyPesos

MoDOT seem to get some projects done pretty quickly, at least when compared to some other states. Like MO 364 Phase 3 was done in a year and a half too.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 23, 2021, 11:00:41 AM

MoDOT seem to get some projects done pretty quickly, at least when compared to some other states. Like MO 364 Phase 3 was done in a year and a half too.
That they do, but not to be a hater, but I have also seen where the quality (or lack of) shows. For instance, on MO 364, you can tell that they took a lot of shortcuts and cost cutting measures. The I-64/MO 364 interchange in particular shows this. Hopefully, I-49 connection will be built to the full quality needed.

Either way, from an interstate travel perspective, it is much welcome and needed. As one who sees a potential route from Chicago to Texas via a stop in St. Louis, this does create a viable corridor to consider, especially to skip tolls in OK and that worst part of US 69 North of I-40 with way too many stoplights. Here's hoping the AR does eventually extend this to Texarkana so that there is another viable alternative to get to Dallas... I'm not holding my breath on any extension of I-45 or Interstate overlay of US 69 in OK, though desperately needed it is.

mvak36

They've posted an invitation for the ribbon cutting and directions to the location at https://www.modot.org/i-49-missouriarkansas-connector.

SkyPesos

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 23, 2021, 01:02:42 PM
As one who sees a potential route from Chicago to Texas via a stop in St. Louis, this does create a viable corridor to consider, especially to skip tolls in OK and that worst part of US 69 North of I-40 with way too many stoplights. Here's hoping the AR does eventually extend this to Texarkana so that there is another viable alternative to get to Dallas... I'm not holding my breath on any extension of I-45 or Interstate overlay of US 69 in OK, though desperately needed it is.
From St Louis, from what I heard, US 67 is a faster routing to Dallas than I-49 or US 69.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 23, 2021, 03:20:02 PM
As one who sees a potential route from Chicago to Texas via a stop in St. Louis, this does create a viable corridor to consider, especially to skip tolls in OK and that worst part of US 69 North of I-40 with way too many stoplights. Here's hoping the AR does eventually extend this to Texarkana so that there is another viable alternative to get to Dallas... I'm not holding my breath on any extension of I-45 or Interstate overlay of US 69 in OK, though desperately needed it is.
From St Louis, from what I heard, US 67 is a faster routing to Dallas than I-49 or US 69.
Looking at the map, that may be. Of course, that route would benefit from the upgrade/extension of I-57... and even more so for any Chicago to Texas route, for that matter. That said, and to keep in topic, at the very least, it does give one more Western alterative that avoids any current two lane sections and provides a way to avoid Muskogee and its seemingly dozen stoplights or so. US 69 South of I-40 generally is more open with less stops than the section North (plus, avoids a few of the more notorious speed traps). Nonetheless, this is a good alternate route to have open, and thinking longer term, once AR finishes the Central portion (which may be a while), will provide a better alternative from MO to TX.

MikieTimT

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 23, 2021, 03:31:00 PM
Looking at the map, that may be. Of course, that route would benefit from the upgrade/extension of I-57... and even more so for any Chicago to Texas route, for that matter. That said, and to keep in topic, at the very least, it does give one more Western alterative that avoids any current two lane sections and provides a way to avoid Muskogee and its seemingly dozen stoplights or so. US 69 South of I-40 generally is more open with less stops than the section North (plus, avoids a few of the more notorious speed traps). Nonetheless, this is a good alternate route to have open, and thinking longer term, once AR finishes the Central portion (which may be a while), will provide a better alternative from MO to TX.

Yeah, I see I-57 getting done before I-49 in Arkansas due to cost, mileage, and terrain.  Here's hoping that Missouri turns its attention to their portion now that I-49 is functionally complete there (Bruce Watkins Dr.)

skluth

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 23, 2021, 04:05:52 PM

Yeah, I see I-57 getting done before I-49 in Arkansas due to cost, mileage, and terrain.  Here's hoping that Missouri turns its attention to their portion now that I-49 is functionally complete there (Bruce Watkins Dr.)

While a full interstate would be best, this corridor would be served just fine with an expressway from Poplar Bluff to Walnut Ridge. US 60 between Poplar Bluff and Sikeston is an expressway and there's little push to upgrade it beyond a few more interchanges. I drove US 67/I-30 from St Louis to Dallas a few years ago and there was little traffic from US 160 to Pocahontas both ways. ADT from Arkansas's web site is 5-7K. I don't care whether Arkansas's portion should continue along US 67 or closer to AR 34/90.

I don't know if it's any shorter, but I-44 in Missouri is hilly, has a lot of truck traffic, and it's not unusual to get caught behind trucks because one is passing the other going 1 mph faster up a hill. US 67 through Park Hills is just as hilly, but has almost no truck traffic and moves pretty fast. Once south of Poplar Bluff, it's Mississippi Delta-flat until Little Rock. I'd recommend the US 67/I-30 corridor STL-Dallas over other routes.

MikieTimT

Quote from: skluth on September 23, 2021, 06:20:37 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on September 23, 2021, 04:05:52 PM

While a full interstate would be best, this corridor would be served just fine with an expressway from Poplar Bluff to Walnut Ridge. US 60 between Poplar Bluff and Sikeston is an expressway and there's little push to upgrade it beyond a few more interchanges. I drove US 67/I-30 from St Louis to Dallas a few years ago and there was little traffic from US 160 to Pocahontas both ways. ADT from Arkansas's web site is 5-7K. I don't care whether Arkansas's portion should continue along US 67 or closer to AR 34/90.

I don't know if it's any shorter, but I-44 in Missouri is hilly, has a lot of truck traffic, and it's not unusual to get caught behind trucks because one is passing the other going 1 mph faster up a hill. US 67 through Park Hills is just as hilly, but has almost no truck traffic and moves pretty fast. Once south of Poplar Bluff, it's Mississippi Delta-flat until Little Rock. I'd recommend the US 67/I-30 corridor STL-Dallas over other routes.

Looking at the AADT counts for the 2 lane section, looks like it's climbing 250-300 per year already, even before getting the eventual upgrade.  Methinks the word has been slowly getting out anyway.

MikieTimT

Quote from: mvak36 on September 23, 2021, 03:17:13 PM
They've posted an invitation for the ribbon cutting and directions to the location at https://www.modot.org/i-49-missouriarkansas-connector.

So, are they opening the segment between Exit 4 and MO-90 on Oct. 1 after the ribbon cutting the previous day?  The directions from Missouri indicate that segment will still be closed.

https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Site%20Map%20MO.pdf

mvak36

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 23, 2021, 08:42:10 PM

So, are they opening the segment between Exit 4 and MO-90 on Oct. 1 after the ribbon cutting the previous day?  The directions from Missouri indicate that segment will still be closed.

I'm not sure to be honest. I saw that they're planning on opening on Oct 1 so I would hope they're done by that date.

MikieTimT

Quote from: mvak36 on September 23, 2021, 10:24:38 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on September 23, 2021, 08:42:10 PM

I'm not sure to be honest. I saw that they're planning on opening on Oct 1 so I would hope they're done by that date.

Otherwise, MO-90's 2 newly resurfaced lanes will be getting a chunk of the traffic that grinds through Bella Vista's 4 lanes and numerous signals until it does open.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.