News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Missed this article last week that showed parts of the BVB on the Missouri side (I think some of the video was taken before they added the median and guardrails).
https://www.fourstateshomepage.com/news/joplin-news-first/see-the-i-49-connector-before-it-opens-the-missouri-arkansas-commute-just-got-faster-bella-vista-bypass/
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ChiMilNet

Found this video online of a virtual drive through the new connector. Quite interesting, and I noticed that there are a number of sections with only a concrete divider in the middle (in Missouri especially). However, this will be a welcome connection.

https://youtu.be/mysWvyhX6hQ

SkyPesos

Now the bypass is complete, does Arkansas have plans to move US 71 off I-49, and onto what is now US 71 BUS? Would eliminate both a bannered route and a concurrency this way.

US71

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 30, 2021, 03:53:02 PM
Now the bypass is complete, does Arkansas have plans to move US 71 off I-49, and onto what is now US 71 BUS? Would eliminate both a bannered route and a concurrency this way.

No.

ARDOT is eliminating Business Routes, Bentonville north of AR 12, has been dropped from the state highway system as has Business 71 in Fayetteville.

Bus 71 in Fort Smith is scheduled to be dropped once ARDOT does some work on the road.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sprjus4

^ That's exactly what he was proposing. Eliminating Business US-71.

US71

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 30, 2021, 06:58:34 PM
^ That's exactly what he was proposing. Eliminating Business US-71.

but NOT replacing it.

US71

Breaking News (as opposed to breaking wind)

TRAFFIC ALERT: I-49 Missouri/Arkansas Connector in McDonald County OPEN to Traffic Sept. 30

Where: I-49 Missouri/Arkansas Connector in McDonald County between Pineville and Missouri/Arkansas state line

When: as of 9:30 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 30

What: Final five (5) miles of I-49 in McDonald County between Pineville and Missouri/Arkansas state line is OPEN to traffic. With completion of the project, drivers can now travel the 290 miles between Kansas City and Fort Smith, Arkansas on a new four-lane divided interstate highway.

Project Information: A project to build the final five (5) miles of I-49 in Missouri began in April 2020 after the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission approved the project.

The transformation of U.S. Route 71 to I-49 in Missouri has taken decades to accomplish. Planning for the final series of projects was begun in the late 1980s, with construction beginning in the early 1990s and continuing through 2012 when construction ended near Pineville.

Work on the final leg of I-49 began when MoDOT's regional partner, Northwest Arkansas Planning Commission (NWARPC), received a $25 million Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) federal grant. Those funds were added to approximately $45 million from MoDOT to complete the project.

A celebration to mark the completion of the I-49 Missouri-Arkansas Connector was held Thursday, September 30 hosted by Missouri Gov. Mike Parson and Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchens on the Missouri/Arkansas state line near Jane.

MikieTimT

Took a trip from Bentonville after a job to Pineville, and then along the Elk River to Noel.  Amazing how much quicker getting around is now that Bella Vista can go back to being a retirement village overrun with Wal-Mart transplants and younger folks.  Good BBQ in Noel at Smokin on the River, and the truck from Maximum Overdrive was at the Sparks at the Ozarks festival they have across the big bridge.  Beautiful, smooth, new Interstate unspoiled by billboards (so far), and saves 10-20 minutes each way, depending on time of day.  McDonald County can now begin their re-entry into the NWA metro.

The Ghostbuster

I don't like that the new Exit 4 is a left-handed exit. I would have preferred that it was a right-handed exit, though I do not consider myself an "authority" on the matter.

MikieTimT

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 04, 2021, 09:45:26 PM
I don't like that the new Exit 4 is a left-handed exit. I would have preferred that it was a right-handed exit, though I do not consider myself an "authority" on the matter.

Given the finances/timeframe, it wasn't in the cards.  It might be a problem in a decade or so, but it's not really an issue with weaving given the current traffic counts.  In 20 years or so, they'll have a Fulbright Expressway type reconfiguration when the area grows into the new infrastructure.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 04, 2021, 10:46:22 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 04, 2021, 09:45:26 PM

Given the finances/timeframe, it wasn't in the cards.  It might be a problem in a decade or so, but it's not really an issue with weaving given the current traffic counts.  In 20 years or so, they'll have a Fulbright Expressway type reconfiguration when the area grows into the new infrastructure.

If they do that, I hope they get it right the first tme.

-- US 175 --

I'm surprised the thread title hasn't been updated by now, since I-49 has fully arrived in MO (with the possible future exception of the Bruce Watkins at-grades being converted in Kansas City)

MikieTimT

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on October 05, 2021, 03:10:03 PM
I'm surprised the thread title hasn't been updated by now, since I-49 has fully arrived in MO (with the possible future exception of the Bruce Watkins at-grades being converted in Kansas City)

Should be quite a while before/if that occurs.

bugo

HAHAHA Google Maps shows the newly opened road in Missouri as MO 549.

SkyPesos

Quote from: bugo on October 05, 2021, 11:00:54 PM
Not even that, they called it AR 549 even for the part in MO. From a dummy driving directions I did from Joplin to Springdale:

msunat97

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 06, 2021, 12:07:32 AM
Not even that, they called it AR 549 even for the part in MO. From a dummy driving directions I did from Joplin to Springdale:

Looks like it's signed for I-49 now

Henry

Quote from: msunat97 on October 06, 2021, 09:02:25 AM

Just checked Google Maps, and it is indeed I-49! I figured it would be a matter of time before the correct shields were put in for the new bypass.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Looks like Google finally got the message,

SkyPesos

Quote from: Henry on October 06, 2021, 10:31:21 AM
Quote from: msunat97 on October 06, 2021, 09:02:25 AM

Just checked Google Maps, and it is indeed I-49! I figured it would be a matter of time before the correct shields were put in for the new bypass.
Looks like my first time using the report an error button actually worked!

sprjus4

^ The only thing missing now, is being properly designated as a freeway as opposed to a surface route.

vdeane

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 06, 2021, 07:36:34 PM
^ The only thing missing now, is being properly designated as a freeway as opposed to a surface route.
It's been showing as a freeway for me all day.  Google will even allow routing on it, though not always by default due to the lack of traffic data.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

Looks like GPS's haven't caught up with I-49. being finished.

sprjus4

Quote from: vdeane on October 06, 2021, 08:35:16 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on October 06, 2021, 07:36:34 PM
It's been showing as a freeway for me all day.  Google will even allow routing on it, though not always by default due to the lack of traffic data.
It's showing properly for me now. For some reason, it didn't earlier.

MikieTimT

I wonder if the decrease of 10,000 VPD from the project completion 2 months ago is seen as much as a positive for Jane, MO as it has been for Bella Vista, AR.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/bella-vista-bypass-benefits-those-in-the-area/

dvferyance

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 05, 2021, 03:27:55 PM
Quote from: -- US 175 -- on October 05, 2021, 03:10:03 PM

Should be quite a while before/if that occurs.
Does anyone know the reason why US 71 in KC was not built to a full freeway?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.