News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Interesting comment re I-49 in metro KC from AASHTO report presented in Little Rock today:

U.S. 71 Improvements From 155th Street to North Cass Parkway ... would contribute to the future upgrade of U.S. 71 to interstate standards to contribute to the I-49 Corridor.
http://expandingcapacity.transportation.org/states/MO_Unlocking_Gridlock_0410.pdf

ShawnP

Hopefully MODOT can come up with the funding to six lane this stretch and build Jersey barriers in the middle. For some reason it is very prone to accidents and with the North Cass Parkway more traffic will come online. The sight lines in this area are pretty good and a reasonable speed limit but for some reason that area just north of MO-58 has had more than it's share of accidents.

ShawnP

Good find and the 155 Street Intersection is definitely in line for a upgrade with the new Intermodal Port at the old Richards Geubar Air Force Base. The Intermodal has added alot of truck traffic and the 155 Street Intersection is in poor shape physically and past it's design time.

I can see this getting done and maybe I-470 but the others are too big for MODOT to tackle with no money at this time.

US71

The 155th Quik Trip is a regular gas stop for me when I visit KC.  It's not too bad exiting NB 71, but trying to get back on 71 is a pain.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ShawnP

I lived within a mile of that area for 2 years and saw the increase in traffic. Exits to the north and south have been reworked so it's time for 155th street. Plus 4 laning it into the old base would really help with the increased tractor trailer traffic out of the KC Southern Smart Port.

Grzrd

Bruce Watkins Drive in KC now carries 2x its designed capacity.  What will "x" factor be when I-49 completed from I-435 to I-44, presumably in 2012?  Is it possible that, with increasing traffic, community leaders may have a change of heart similar to change of heart among community leaders in Shreveport, LA re Shreveport Inner-City Connector of I-49?:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/24/2173385/the-watchdog-the-story-of-the.html

From Aug, 24, 2010 Kansas City Star:

The problem
Benjamin M. Smith of Peculiar works downtown and wants to know why, heading north from Gregory Boulevard, there are three stoplights on Bruce R. Watkins Drive (U.S. 71). They really slow his trip, he says.
"I would personally pay some money to fund a project to put in overpasses in this area. Not only does it add 15 minutes each way to my drive to/from downtown every day, the people trying to cross in the middle of 71 are placing themselves in danger. With overpasses you could put sidewalks in for them to cross.
"This would save many people money in gas, time, and wear and tear on their car."

The answer
The stoplights resulted from a disagreement between the state of Missouri, which wanted to build a freeway along the entire 10-mile corridor, and some residents of the surrounding neighborhoods, who thought a freeway would damage and divide their community.
Litigation held up the project for years, even as the cleared route scarred the East Side.
But in a 1985 court settlement, neighbors won a concession:
The part of Watkins from Gregory Boulevard to 55th Street would be a parkway, with lower speed limits and traffic lights at 55th and 59th streets and at Gregory.
The idea was to give drivers easier access to nearby businesses and residential areas, increasing the likelihood of economic development. Also part of the deal was enhanced landscaping and fancier bridges along Watkins Drive.
Beth Wright, district engineer for the Missouri Department of Transportation, says the parkway portion of the road now carries twice the number of vehicles for which it was designed, which results in the problems Benjamin has experienced.
Later this year, Wright said, the three intersections are to be included in Operation Green Light, which aims to improve traffic flow by coordinating signals. The Watkins signals and their counterparts on Prospect Avenue will be re-timed, which should minimize delays on Watkins.
MoDOT and Operation Green Light will need to collect data and analyze it before looking at alternatives to the present design, Wright said.

ShawnP

My soap box on this road is well documented. The Star however should have used number of deaths that have occured in this corridor. Beyond the delay in traffic is the dangereous intersections. The worst intersection is Gregory Blvd and has had many high speed horrific collisions over the years. The key is to get the community leaders around that area to open the case back up and allow full blown interchanges. MODOT could also smooth the transistion by continuing to add extra asthetic touches and even building sound dampening devices (walls would be kinda a slap to the neighborhood IMHO). Overall I think this area should be the number 1 concern for safety in the Kansas City area. I lived in Belton for 2 years and worked off the Plaza and purposely drove around this stretch to avoid the lights and danger.

Grzrd

Sept. 12 Joplin Globe reports that MoDOT is still targeting Dec., 2012 as completion date for U.S. 71 upgrade to I-49 between Pineville and I-435:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x788124608/MoDOT-completes-four-interchanges-as-part-of-upgrading-U-S-71-to-interstate-status

With the completion of four interchanges in Southwest Missouri, Interstate 49 has moved farther down the road to reality .... there are 12 projects that still need done – interchanges, overpasses and outer roads in Barton, Vernon, Bates and Cass counties.
"We'll be working on those the next two years,"  ... "In the summer of 2011, people will likely see seven locations under construction."
"We could complete it as early as December 2012,"  he said of the 12 projects, which would bring the highway up to interstate standards from Pineville to I-435 in Kansas City ...

ShawnP

It will be nice to add more Interstate miles in Missouri and soon the BVB will be back on the front burner IMHO.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on September 12, 2010, 03:30:04 PM
Sept. 12 Joplin Globe reports that MoDOT is still targeting Dec., 2012 as completion date for U.S. 71 upgrade to I-49 between Pineville and I-435:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x788124608/MoDOT-completes-four-interchanges-as-part-of-upgrading-U-S-71-to-interstate-status

"With the completion of four interchanges in Southwest Missouri, Interstate 49 has moved farther down the road to reality .... there are 12 projects that still need done – interchanges, overpasses and outer roads in Barton, Vernon, Bates and Cass counties.

"We'll be working on those the next two years,"  ... "In the summer of 2011, people will likely see seven locations under construction."

"We could complete it as early as December 2012,"  he said of the 12 projects, which would bring the highway up to interstate standards from Pineville to I-435 in Kansas City ..."

The article makes it sound like when the 12 projects are done, all of 71 north of Pineville will be I-49.  While it may be remotely possible (have 49 end at Route H), I truly have my doubts.

Revive 755

I'm seeing it as meaning the highway would meet standards to be signed as an interstate, not that it will be signed.  It's possible MoDOT could openly defy AASHTO and the FHWA again and sign I-49 whenever they feel like it, as MoDOT has done with I-64 (not that such an act for I-49 would be that bad, given how obstinate AASHTO likes to be anymore to good highway signage -I-49 ought to already be signed on US 71 south of I-44 and on I-540 north of I-40 in Arkansas IMHO).

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on September 13, 2010, 10:32:31 PM
The article makes it sound like when the 12 projects are done, all of 71 north of Pineville will be I-49.  While it may be remotely possible (have 49 end at Route H), I truly have my doubts.
Quote from: Revive 755 on September 13, 2010, 10:46:34 PM
I'm seeing it as meaning the highway would meet standards to be signed as an interstate, not that it will be signed.
Is Route H roughly where BVB was supposed to connect with US 71 before money got shifted to interchange projects?

EDIT - AT THE RISK OF REPEATING MYSELF

Go ahead and commit the $60 million - $65 million for MOBVB, build MOBVB, finish MOBVB and then sign entire Missouri section from AR state line to I-435 as I-49, whether AASHTO likes it or not.  Arkansas, although moving slowly, is working on their part of BVB.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on September 13, 2010, 10:54:07 PM

Is Route H roughly where BVB was supposed to connect with US 71 before money got shifted to interchange projects?

Yes. It's the next exit north.

Grzrd

Quote from: ShawnP on September 12, 2010, 12:49:44 PM
My soap box on this road is well documented. The Star however should have used number of deaths that have occured in this corridor. Beyond the delay in traffic is the dangereous intersections. The worst intersection is Gregory Blvd and has had many high speed horrific collisions over the years. The key is to get the community leaders around that area to open the case back up and allow full blown interchanges.
I checked "Missouri Expressways" thread and could not find discussion about this June 15 info; apologies if it has already been discussed elsewhere.  Recent "Bloody I-30" thread made me recall above comment and I started wondering if Bruce Watkins Drive was a "death zone".  In an approximate 10-minute "KC Currents" broadcast, the interviewed MoDOT representative acknowledges that Watkins Drive has a much higher average number of "rear-enders" than other highways in Missouri, BUT, in terms of fatalities, the freeway north of 55th has the highest fatality rate.  For this reason, it seems like MoDOT cannot approach the court for a "safety" exception to the court order:

KCUR FM Audio - "No Change In Store For Controversial Bruce R. Watkins Drive"

KANSAS CITY, MO (kcur) - Tune in to the radio traffic reports any rush hour, and you're likely to hear one road name mentioned again and again. Highway 71, also known as Bruce R Watkins Drive, is known to cross-town commuters as one of the city's most accident-prone stretches of road. According to the Missouri Department of Transportation, the stretch between 55th Street and Gregory averages 277 accidents per hundred million vehicle miles, higher than the state average of 170 accidents for similar roadway types.

To paraphrase the representative from the community when questioned about the "rear-ender" statisitcs, "If you don't want an accident; don't drive the road".

EDIT - EMAIL RESPONSE FROM KCSTAR WATCHDOG

Watchdog says she has been monitoring Watkins Drive and would like to know specifics of crashes.  Her response:

Thank you for your interest in Watkins Drive. Over the years, we have monitored accidents there precisely because of the stop lights, but we have not developed an ironclad case that it is a death zone. The issue with the stop lights, of course, is that drivers on Watkins Drive are prone to rear-end crashes because they expect the freeway to continue and it doesn't. The highway department did install warning lights to let people know of a red light ahead.
There was a recent horrific crash on Gregory Boulevard at Watkins Drive that killed a little boy. I suppose a case could be made that there would be no stoplight there on Gregory if it passed over Watkins Drive, but what happened could have happened at any intersection. The offending driver had PCP in his system.
However, I would appreciate a heads-up on what other accidents you found. I also will share your email with our transportation writer. The death zone idea is intriguing, whether it applies to Watkins or other stretches of roadway.
ARF!

SECOND EDIT - 2008 MISSOURI TRAFFIC SAFETY COMPENDIUM

Looks like 2009 edition has not hit Web yet. Approx. 300 pages.  Here's link: http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/SAC/pdf/missouri2008TrafficSafetyCompendium.pdf

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on September 13, 2010, 10:32:31 PM
The article makes it sound like when the 12 projects are done, all of 71 north of Pineville will be I-49.  While it may be remotely possible (have 49 end at Route H), I truly have my doubts.
FHA gives MoDOT OK to sign 71 as I-49 after 12 interchange projects are completed: http://www.carthagepress.com/news/x2115303609/I-49-to-bring-economic-opportunities-to-Carthage-Southwest-Missouri

Becky Baltz, district engineer for the Missouri Department of Transportation's District 7, based in Joplin ... said MoDOT's priorities in Southwest Missouri include converting U.S. 71 to I-49 in the next two years ...
She also announced that the Federal Highway Administration had given the state the okay to re-designate U.S. 71 to I-49 all the way to south of Pineville in McDonald County when it finishes the improvements between Carthage and Kansas City.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on October 30, 2010, 12:50:01 AM
She also announced that the Federal Highway Administration had given the state the okay to re-designate U.S. 71 to I-49 all the way to south of Pineville in McDonald County when it finishes the improvements between Carthage and Kansas City."

South of Pineville? If it's not Route H, then it must be at the future 71/49 split.

rickmastfan67

Here's something else they mentioned in the artice:

QuoteBaltz said for now, the new interstate will run south through Carthage to the Fidelity interchange, then west on I-44 to where U.S. 71 now turns south toward Neosho.

Eventually, the department would like to rebuild the interchange between U.S. 71 and Missouri 171 and direct I-49 west then south on Missouri 249, removing that additional interstate traffic from an already-strained I-44.

Grzrd

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 30, 2010, 01:15:54 AM
Eventually, the department would like to rebuild the interchange between U.S. 71 and Missouri 171 and direct I-49 west then south on Missouri 249, removing that additional interstate traffic from an already-strained I-44.
Will MoDOT base I-49 mileage (and related mile markers) on anticipated 71/171 interchange upgrade, or will they probably base mileage on the initial I-44 route?

rickmastfan67

Who knows.  Maybe somebody should e-mail MoDOT and ask them this question.

ShawnP

5 of the 12 projects went to bid this week for the I-49 upgrade. 2 different districts KC and Joplin are doing the upgrade. So I wouldn't be surprised to see two different timetables.

http://www.carthagepress.com/news/x2115303609/I-49-to-bring-economic-opportunities-to-Carthage-Southwest-Missouri

njroadhorse

That will allow the state to change U.S. 71 to I-49 from Kansas City to McDonald County, and with that change will come improved safety and opportunity for economic development.

That makes it sound like MoDOT would jump the gun on AASHTO, but in reality would they?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on October 30, 2010, 01:00:23 AM
She also announced that the Federal Highway Administration had given the state the okay to re-designate U.S. 71 to I-49 all the way to south of Pineville in McDonald County when it finishes the improvements between Carthage and Kansas City."
Quote from: njroadhorse on October 31, 2010, 02:54:43 PM
That makes it sound like MoDOT would jump the gun on AASHTO, but in reality would they?

I thought a waiver from the FHA, which MoDOT now has re signing I-49, supersedes any AASHTO decision to the contrary.  I am surprised MoDOT was given the goahead by the FHA to sign the section from I-44 to south of Pineville (I am assume that is northern end of BVB) because the southern end of this section would not immediately have an intersection with another interstate.

With the I-44 to Pineville section in mind, I now wonder if AHTD will seek a similar waiver from the FHA to resign I-540 to I-49 northward from I-40 to the southern end of BVB either now or concurrently with the Missouri signing of I-49?

ShawnP

US-71/MO-249 would most likely require the interchange to go north of Carthage as that area is already congested with business's and houses's. However go north a bit and there is room to build and without taking too many houses and business's.

Scott5114

Quote from: Grzrd on October 31, 2010, 03:34:58 PM
Quote from: US71 on October 30, 2010, 01:00:23 AM
Quote from: njroadhorse on October 31, 2010, 02:54:43 PM

I thought a waiver from the FHA, which MoDOT now has re signing I-49, supersedes any AASHTO decision to the contrary.  I am surprised MoDOT was given the goahead by the FHA to sign the section from I-44 to south of Pineville (I am assume that is northern end of BVB) because the southern end of this section would not immediately have an intersection with another interstate.

With the I-44 to Pineville section in mind, I now wonder if AHTD will seek a similar waiver from the FHA to resign I-540 to I-49 northward from I-40 to the southern end of BVB either now or concurrently with the Missouri signing of I-49?

Why would MoDOT care in particular what sort of waivers  the Federal Housing Administration was issuing? :hmmm:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Grzrd

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 01, 2010, 12:01:54 PM
Federal Highway Administration ... I thought a waiver from the FHA ...
Why would MoDOT care in particular what sort of waivers  the Federal Housing Administration was issuing? :hmmm:
Good catch.  Wrong federal acronym.  :banghead:   Does FHWA work?    :crazy:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.