News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: sparker on July 21, 2021, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 21, 2021, 07:54:40 PM
Whoopie another Super Two.

.........but infinitely better than a Super Zero!

As a Super-2 with a 65 MPH speed limit, it'd still trim 7-8 minutes off my trips to Charleston to visit family and friends.  Drives me nuts to drive 5 miles west then swing back southeast across the river at Barling.  Should also jumpstart development of Chaffee Crossing once it's seen as actually progressing towards connectivity.

Just went for a drive after work today along AR-549 (BVB).  They have lane closure signs on the new northbound carriageway closing off the left lane with several miles of barrels.  Likely just about ready to close off the southbound carriageway's inner lane for re-striping and finally do away with opposing traffic.  Could be tough to pass slow moving vehicles for the next several weeks, though.  They still have a little bit of inner shoulder work closer to the split from just past the jersey barrier for the overpass at the SPUI, but other than cable barrier, which is likely the main reason for closing off the left lane northbound, they only have a bit of striping work to do where the asphalt transitions to and from the concrete stretches that were done under the overpasses previously and closed off.  Starting to get real up to Rocky Dell Hollow Rd.

Afterwards, drove MO-90 to see the I-49 crossing there.  No pavement either north or south from there within sight yet, but putting rebar down on the roadbed to prepare for concrete, so late Sept./early Oct. will be here before we know it.  I'll have to do some picture editing and then will post in a couple of days when work slacks up.

Bobby5280

Yeah, a Super 2 is better than nothing. It will at least get the corridor established and the ROW blocked off from any developers trying to build on it. That's the key thing.

I think it won't be all that long after they get the initial 2 lanes built that the second set of lanes will go into construction. The project could go a little like the Bella Vista bypass.

msunat97

Quote from: MikieTimT on July 21, 2021, 11:51:04 PM

As a Super-2 with a 65 MPH speed limit, it'd still trim 7-8 minutes off my trips to Charleston to visit family and friends.  Drives me nuts to drive 5 miles west then swing back southeast across the river at Barling.  Should also jumpstart development of Chaffee Crossing once it's seen as actually progressing towards connectivity.

Just went for a drive after work today along AR-549 (BVB).  They have lane closure signs on the new northbound carriageway closing off the left lane with several miles of barrels.  Likely just about ready to close off the southbound carriageway's inner lane for re-striping and finally do away with opposing traffic.  Could be tough to pass slow moving vehicles for the next several weeks, though.  They still have a little bit of inner shoulder work closer to the split from just past the jersey barrier for the overpass at the SPUI, but other than cable barrier, which is likely the main reason for closing off the left lane northbound, they only have a bit of striping work to do where the asphalt transitions to and from the concrete stretches that were done under the overpasses previously and closed off.  Starting to get real up to Rocky Dell Hollow Rd.

Afterwards, drove MO-90 to see the I-49 crossing there.  No pavement either north or south from there within sight yet, but putting rebar down on the roadbed to prepare for concrete, so late Sept./early Oct. will be here before we know it.  I'll have to do some picture editing and then will post in a couple of days when work slacks up.

Thanks for the update MikieTimT.  I hope I'm still able to drive (I'm 47 now...hopefully not too old) by the time this river crossing gets done.

Henry

Something tells me that the intermediate section from Texarkana to Ft. Smith will also be a temporary Super-2, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abqtraveler

Quote from: Henry on July 22, 2021, 11:47:04 AM
Something tells me that the intermediate section from Texarkana to Ft. Smith will also be a temporary Super-2, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least.
Likely all signed as AR-549 until they get the second carriageway built. For the initial segment between I-40 and AR-22, everyone seems to think the bridge over the Arkansas River will be the most expensive part, but let's not forget about tying the new road into the existing I-40/I-49 North interchange. I think there will be a lot of money spent there too.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

edwaleni

The question for me is there a need to build a tunnel somewhere between Mansfield and Mena?

If so, shouldn't they build that first, or build everything else with a diversion to US-71 until a tunnel is done last.

It is one of the few places I have not driven, so I don't have personal experience with the legacy route.

Hence why I am asking.

Tomahawkin

I think that 50 percent if not more of 49 south of Ft. Smith to Texarkana will be built as elevated viaduct like the ones that were built between Alma and Fayetteville. That could take 10-15 years???

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on July 22, 2021, 02:26:52 PM
The question for me is there a need to build a tunnel somewhere between Mansfield and Mena?

If so, shouldn't they build that first, or build everything else with a diversion to US-71 until a tunnel is done last.

It is one of the few places I have not driven, so I don't have personal experience with the legacy route.

Hence why I am asking.

No plans for tunnels.  From what I've seen, I-49 will also go through the Foran Gap north of Acorn just like US-71.  If they were to tunnel anywhere, it would be through that mountain that goes up to 2000 Ft.

sparker

Quote from: edwaleni on July 22, 2021, 02:26:52 PM

Hence why I am asking.

IIRC, most of the summit area around Y City as well as the 71/270 multiplex calls for the freeway to be located directly atop the current facility; as there are no tunnels on the current route, it's not likely that one or more would be planned unless ARDOT planners figure to drastically "cut the corner" on one or another curve.  I'd guess that in this area, which would likely entail the most difficult construction, the freeway will be of minimal width -- just enough to satisfy I-standards -- and with terrain-matching curvature.  Tunneling, while capable of producing a straighter and faster alignment, drives the construction costs up considerably; with the difficulty of obtaining financing for the project in general, it's not likely to feature much in the way of structural cost than is absolutely necessary.

US71

From what I have read and heard, there are NO plans for another tunnel along I-49 or any other Interstate in Arkansas.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bobby5280

If this project was being built 30 years ago tunnels would have been a realistic option. But not now. The United States has quickly priced itself out of being able to do things like that.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 23, 2021, 12:17:46 AM
If this project was being built 30 years ago tunnels would have been a realistic option. But not now. The United States has quickly priced itself out of being able to do things like that.

The type of inflation associated with massive projects like this has certainly taken its toll.  It looks like the only tunnel on I-49 will be the existing Bobby Hopper tunnel, opened 22 years ago (I drove through it shortly afterward).  Nevertheless, since ADOT is planning on utilizing as much of the existing US 71 ROW as possible between Mansfield and Mena, tunnels just wouldn't be in the cards anyway. 

MikieTimT

Quote from: msunat97 on July 22, 2021, 07:55:29 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on July 21, 2021, 11:51:04 PM

Thanks for the update MikieTimT.  I hope I'm still able to drive (I'm 47 now...hopefully not too old) by the time this river crossing gets done.

You're welcome.  As I'm a year older than you, we both share that concern.  By that time, most people may not be driving at all, but merely passengers in Tesla shuttles that thankfully should be better looking than the Johnny Cabs from Total Recall.  Might even be settlements on Mars by then too!

MikieTimT

Bella Vista Bypass just north of the US-71 interchange northbound.  Note the left lane closure construction sign and barrels shifting traffic to the outer lane.  Likely going to open before completing the cable barrier in my estimation, so imminently shifting northbound traffic off of the southbound carriageway for restriping as there are barrels all along the southbound carriageway too.

MikieTimT

Bella Vista Bypass south end southbound onto what will be the US-71 exit ramp eventually.  They are shifting everything over to the left as they have rocks falling onto the ramp, so will have to do more blasting to widen the cut apparently.

MikieTimT

Sorry for the serial posting.  Woke up early and did some photo edits and uploads.  For those that care, I also posted pics from the middle section in MO from the MO-90 crossing in the I-49 in Missouri thread. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3239.msg2640531#msg2640531

MikieTimT

With the imminent opening of the Bella Vista Bypass portion of I-49, I wonder how long it will take Google to update Maps to reflect the new reality?  To say nothing of Street View or satellite imagery.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on July 25, 2021, 08:33:58 AM
With the imminent opening of the Bella Vista Bypass portion of I-49, I wonder how long it will take Google to update Maps to reflect the new reality?  To say nothing of Street View or satellite imagery.

Depends how important it is to them.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bobby5280

It looks like Google has deprecated any further map updates from with the standalone Google Earth Pro application. The layers Borders & Labels, Places and Roads all have "outdated" listed next to them. I'm not a big fan of the web-based version of Google Earth. It doesn't work as smoothly.

Scott5114

Hell, OKC has multiple major public works projects that have been open for over a year and still aren't shown on satellite imagery. I feel like Google straight-up doesn't care about providing quality data for non-coastal cities.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 25, 2021, 02:33:32 PM
It looks like Google has deprecated any further map updates from with the standalone Google Earth Pro application. The layers Borders & Labels, Places and Roads all have "outdated" listed next to them. I'm not a big fan of the web-based version of Google Earth. It doesn't work as smoothly.
The web-based Google Earth feels like a gimmick to me.  Too bad that they seem to have deprecated the standalone, as that one is actually useful and something I use for work whenever I need to see city/town/village boundaries (via our KML file) or reference markers (ditto), or when I need to make maps for our railroad grade crossing IPP/FDRs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 05:48:16 PM

Hell, OKC has multiple major public works projects that have been open for over a year and still aren't shown on satellite imagery. I feel like Google straight-up doesn't care about providing quality data for non-coastal cities.
Yeah I've noticed Google satellite imagery shows absolutely no work done on the I-69 flyover in Nacogdoches, despite work commencing in 2019.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Thegeet

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 25, 2021, 11:29:09 PM

Yeah I've noticed Google satellite imagery shows absolutely no work done on the I-69 flyover in Nacogdoches, despite work commencing in 2019.
Google updates it every 3 years apparently. Too bad they can't invest in more satellite cams and street view cars.

edwaleni

Quote from: Thegeet on July 26, 2021, 12:17:08 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on July 25, 2021, 11:29:09 PM

Google updates it every 3 years apparently. Too bad they can't invest in more satellite cams and street view cars.

Google's work has slowed down considerably on their mapping efforts.  They have been pushing more of the work to third parties and using more stringent rules on where and what they map.

If their database shows a large number of phones traversing a route that has no counterpart in Maps, then they usually will have a vehicle dispatched to record it.

But there are still very large swaths of the country with low res imagery as far back as 2009 and much more with none.

They have a site where you can make "suggestions" for Maps to go but they say they don't respond to them directly.

Just like high speed internet, there are still many, many places in the USA that are only on paper maps and government proposals.

GenExpwy

Quote from: vdeane on July 25, 2021, 10:09:12 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 25, 2021, 02:33:32 PM
The web-based Google Earth feels like a gimmick to me.  Too bad that they seem to have deprecated the standalone, as that one is actually useful and something I use for work whenever I need to see city/town/village boundaries (via our KML file) or reference markers (ditto), or when I need to make maps for our railroad grade crossing IPP/FDRs.

Google has just announced that they are replacing the Labels, Places, Roads, and Borders layers in Google Earth Pro "over the next few months" . It might be necessary to use the new 7.3.4 version of Google Earth Pro to see them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.