News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Most irritating emoji
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 02:05:28 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 12:56:25 AMor maybe one of the weird (i.e. not solid color) heart emojis I've never seen anyone but bots use

want some fun? 💗💓💖

In all seriousness, my answer goes to 👏. It always gets used between words in the most patronizing posts on the entire Internet.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 01:31:24 AM
I love when you encounter a group of cars driving slow in the right lane, so you move into the left lane to pass the line when suddenly the car at the end of the line decides at that precise moment that he don't want to be part of the party and then pulls into the left lane to also start passing those in front of him.

It happens a lot and it's annoying when your clear road gets blocked in both lanes  constantly as either the bozo is micro passing the others, or he is delayed in accelerating as when you slow down to their speed they speed up to a faster speed than you were originally. Meanwhile you almost stopped for the three seconds the drivers brain is figuring out that he can go faster too.

What gets me is why do they spend minutes behind slow drivers and suddenly realize that they don't want to drive slowly.
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by cl94 - Today at 01:23:12 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 07, 2024, 09:50:07 PMI've been driving past that project for several months.  I thought it was a shoulder widening and barrier reinforcement the first couple times I looked at it.

From what I can tell, it's a bunch of relatively minor stuff. Barrier/ guiderail replacement, resurfacing, drainage. Every cross street between Salinas and San Francisco has been removed (with one exception near San Juan Bautista) and a full freeway is officially off the table right now for various reasons, so I don't think the value add of something else in Prunedale would be worth the cost.

I'll be down that way to meet with one of the agencies having jurisdiction next month, so I can try and remember to ask them if we don't have an answer.
Off-Topic / Re: Most irritating emoji
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 12:56:25 AM
I don't find any of these particularly annoying. I would have voted for 💅🏻, or maybe one of the weird (i.e. not solid color) heart emojis I've never seen anyone but bots use.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use 🚱. What context would that be used in that it's annoying?
Off-Topic / Most irritating emoji
Last post by kurumi - Today at 12:46:19 AM
Back in the day, all we had was ":-)"

(some of the Japanese character emojis are explained here: http://www.kurumi.com/jp/2016/06/11/k-emoji.html)

Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 12:46:02 AM
Quote from: jgb191 on Today at 12:02:16 AMI was connecting at Hobby Airport yesterday and at the gate next to where I was boarding for my onward flight back home, I overheard this:

Southwest Airlines gate agent (calmly): "Good Evening sir, what airport are you flying to tonight?"
Southwest Airlines Passenger (upset):  "I'm going to California ma'am."
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calm):  "Okay, do you know which airport?"
Southwest Airlines passenger (irate):  "I just told you, California!"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calmly): "I understand sir, but which airport exactly?"
Southwest Airlines passenger (angrily):  "What part of 'California' do you not understand ma'am?!"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calm):  "There are a lot of airports in California, I just need to know which one."
Southwest Airlines passenger (blows fuse):  "I need to speak to your manager, NOW!!!"

I felt really terrible; it seems that airline agents are kicked in the head way more than any other customer service profession.  I wish airlines would provide trauma assistance every week for their employees.

They're lucky they didn't get me. I would have just picked one at random at that point.

Hope y'all have a good trip to Daggett!
Northwest / Re: Washington
Last post by Bruce - Today at 12:29:10 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 07, 2024, 10:52:13 PMHow common are roundabouts in the state of Washington?

We've got a few hundred now apparently. Many intersections have been converted, but they're still somewhat rare in interchanges.

Multilane, high-traffic ones are very rare. Lake Stevens opened one months ago that is still having frequent collisions.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by jgb191 - Today at 12:02:16 AM
I was connecting at Hobby Airport yesterday and at the gate next to where I was boarding for my onward flight back home, I overheard this:

Southwest Airlines gate agent (calmly): "Good Evening sir, what airport are you flying to tonight?"
Southwest Airlines Passenger (upset):  "I'm going to California ma'am."
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calm):  "Okay, do you know which airport?"
Southwest Airlines passenger (irate):  "I just told you, California!"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calmly): "I understand sir, but which airport exactly?"
Southwest Airlines passenger (angrily):  "What part of 'California' do you not understand ma'am?!"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calm):  "There are a lot of airports in California, I just need to know which one."
Southwest Airlines passenger (blows fuse):  "I need to speak to your manager, NOW!!!"

I felt really terrible; it seems that airline agents are kicked in the head way more than any other customer service profession.  I wish airlines would provide trauma assistance every week for their employees.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: New US 51 - Cairo Bridge
Last post by brad2971 - May 07, 2024, 11:57:19 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on May 07, 2024, 12:36:09 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 07, 2024, 11:49:42 AMKYDOT planning to take over Illinois...

The problem with rational highway planning in this region is that Illinois is trying to keep the City of Cairo relevant.

They are still trying to get an intermodal center built there, but the local port authority spent all of the money on things they weren't supposed to, so the state stopped the money.

and I quote....

"Osman also said in that letter that the administration had become deeply concerned that more than half of the funds spent by the state up to that point had been used for "consulting, project and grant management, and development expertise services."

"In the future, state funds should be used for the engineering, site readiness, and environmental work necessary to complete the development of the port terminal," he wrote. "Minimal funds may be used for consultation services."

Illinois has replaced the local port authority director, so hopefully the nearly $4 million in new funds can be used properly.

I say this as respectfully as possible. If the state of Illinois wanted to keep the city of Cairo relevant, it would work with the federal government in buying EVERYONE out in Cairo, tearing down every structure except the most historic ones (Magnolia Manor, the federal post office, some of the old churches, etc), and turning the city into a state or national historic park. Specifically, one that tells the incredibly nasty racial and social history of the city.

And frankly, considering the $382.5 million cost for the US 51 bridge replacement, and the $1.2 billion cost for a US60 corridor buildup, buying out Cairo may be more cost effective. When you look at Cairo's Wikipedia page, you realize that the median age of its citizens rose by 10.5 years from 2010-2020. That...takes some doing. In this case, it was from emptying out and destroying dilapidated public housing in the city, which took away a large chunk of the city's young people. When one starts doing that....
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by tchafe1978 - May 07, 2024, 11:55:31 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 06, 2024, 10:27:48 PMWhen I was a kid, we never had mail delivery to our whole block being one number off.  OTOH, it was not unusual for us to get mail for '(our number) EAST Our St' instead of '(our number) WEST Our St', and vice versa.  I assume that that was no longer a problem after the USPS split the 54911 ZIP Code, giving our part of the city '54914' (about 1980).

Mike

My address is 308 W. Wisconsin Ave. We used to regularly get mail addressed to 308 E. Wisconsin Ave. I went to the post office a number of times to tell them about it and return the wrongly delivered mail, but it still kept happening. It finally stopped after the elderly person who lived at 308 E. Wisconsin Ave. passed away.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.