News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

architect77

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 14, 2023, 07:16:20 PM
I really want to see what happens to the signage along Wendover Ave more than anything else.   (My photos from February begin here:  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218355643722954&set=a.10218355707644552)

You should request to the local division of NCDOT for replacement of those deteriorated overhead signs. It makes America look 3rd world.

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on July 12, 2023, 11:46:46 AM
The next letting is on July 18, I suspect the new 12 month list and the August advertisement will be out then. The letting will include the design-build contract for constructing the rest of Toll NC 540 to the Knightdale Bypass/I-87.

Meanwhile, to keep everyone busy, the new 2023-2024 State Transportation Map has been released:
https://www.ncdot.gov/travel-maps/maps/Pages/state-transportation-map.aspx

A quick look shows the typical mix of new, wrong and out of date information. Examples: Both I-885 and I-587 are shown on the state map and appropriate inset maps, but both contain old exit numbers along those routes, or, for the Durham Freeway whose numbers were changed due to I-885. I-74 shields appear on both the US 74 Rockingham Bypass and Maxton Bypass. A 'Toll I-885' shield appears at the northerly end of Toll NC 885 at I-40 on the Raleigh inset map. The Greensboro inset has the NC 74 Winston-Salem Bypass ending at NC 66 (though, due to its dimensions, it looks complete to US 52 on the state map). US 70 is shown on its new route through Greensboro and Business 85 shields have been removed from both US 29 between I-85 and I-40 and along its original route between Lexington and Greensboro. The NC 540 roadway between Bypass NC 55 and I-87 is shown under construction on the state map as is the Hampstead Bypass but other projects such as the Rockingham Bypass for I-73/I-74, I-295 to connect to I-95 and the Havelock Bypass are not.
The August letting, though not officially advertised as of yet, has the plans available as of this morning. The new 12 month tentative letting list (August 2023-July 2024) has also been posted. Turns out the NC 540 project letting has been delayed. The part from Rock Quarry Road to I-87/US 64/264 will now be let next month. The part from I-40 to Rock Quarry Road will be let in October. The new 12 month list: https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/12%20MONTH%20LET%20LIST%20(AUGUST%202023%20-%20JULY%202024).pdf

Strider

Quote from: architect77 on July 14, 2023, 11:55:18 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 14, 2023, 07:16:20 PM
I really want to see what happens to the signage along Wendover Ave more than anything else.   (My photos from February begin here:  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218355643722954&set=a.10218355707644552)

You should request to the local division of NCDOT for replacement of those deteriorated overhead signs. It makes America look 3rd world.

It will eventually be replaced as US 70 is now using Wendover through Greensboro.

wdcrft63

NCDOT reports that repairs to the NC 86 bridge over I-85 should be complete by next week, ending the detour up the off ramp and down the on ramp for southbound I-85 traffic.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-07-20-nc-86-bridge-repairs-update.aspx

wdcrft63

NCDOT has $450K allocated to change signs in the Fayetteville area from" Fort Bragg"  to "Fort Liberty."  Signs are on order and a contractor will be hired soon to complete the change by the end of the year.
https://abc11.com/ncdot-fort-bragg-road-boulevard-name-change/13503668/

WashuOtaku

NCDOT is proposing renumbering a section of NC 42 to NC 36 in Johnston County. The article says it will avoid confusion when I-42 is established in the area. The 10-mile renumbered section will only be in Johnston County and everything east of it and west of it will remain NC 42, effectively creating a gap in the 222-mile route.

A public meeting is scheduled for July 25, but you can also leave comments here: https://publicinput.com/US70-NC42-Clayton

Mapmikey

Quote from: WashuOtaku on July 21, 2023, 08:35:52 AM
NCDOT is proposing renumbering a section of NC 42 to NC 36 in Johnston County. The article says it will avoid confusion when I-42 is established in the area. The 10-mile renumbered section will only be in Johnston County and everything east of it and west of it will remain NC 42, effectively creating a gap in the 222-mile route.

A public meeting is scheduled for July 25, but you can also leave comments here: https://publicinput.com/US70-NC42-Clayton

Reasoning has valid points for renumbering, but changing just those 9 miles is silly.  If the 911 argument is valid, wouldn't they have to renumber a larger chunk of it?  They don't even renumber all of Johnston County's portion of NC 42.  Couldn't they just find a few thousand '4' stickers and renumber the whole thing to NC 44?

The bigger news in that article is the fairly imminent signing of I-42.

74/171FAN

Even though I am traveling, I did make the following comment.

"I have no issues with the reroute around Clayton.

I do think that the redesignation of any 10 miles of NC 42 will not prevent much if any confusion.  I recommend extending NC 78 east to take care of NC 42 east of Sanford.  West of Sanford, I would recommend a NC x42 that is available.  I also would not be against multiple designations if practical to eliminate concurrencies."
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

sprjus4

On the plus side, at least NCDOT will shift US-70 off of the Clayton Bypass, making the route solely I-42. A similar move was made when they designated I-587, shifting US-264 back to the old route.

I'd be curious to know if they will ever move US-64 back to its business route between I-440 and Wendell where I-87 is the main interstate routing.

plain

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 21, 2023, 11:58:43 AM
I'd be curious to know if they will ever move US-64 back to its business route between I-440 and Wendell where I-87 is the main interstate routing.

I'm pretty sure it will happen when more of I-87 is completed.
Newark born, Richmond bred

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Dirt Roads

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 20, 2023, 07:45:35 PM
NCDOT reports that repairs to the NC 86 bridge over I-85 should be complete by next week, ending the detour up the off ramp and down the on ramp for southbound I-85 traffic.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-07-20-nc-86-bridge-repairs-update.aspx

Can confirm that the NC-86 over I-85 at Exit 165 is now fully open.  A friend whose brother works for NCDOT District 7 in Greensboro said that the project required a "large specialty machine that picks up the bridge and heat laminates something".  [I'm presuming he means that the machine lifts the stringers off of bearings; I haven't got any idea what gets laminated to what].  That machine was scheduled for nights during the week of June 17.  But it rained all that week, so the machine went on to its next scheduled project.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 21, 2023, 10:58:57 AM

Reasoning has valid points for renumbering, but changing just those 9 miles is silly.  If the 911 argument is valid, wouldn't they have to renumber a larger chunk of it?  They don't even renumber all of Johnston County's portion of NC 42.  Couldn't they just find a few thousand '4' stickers and renumber the whole thing to NC 44?

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 21, 2023, 10:58:57 AM

I personally think they should extend the renumbering further east to Wilson. That would eliminate possible confusion on 95 with the future Interstate 42 not that far south.

LM117

The Ocracoke passenger ferry will extend it's operating season through September 4.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-07-27-passenger-ferry-extension.aspx

LM117

LM117

Dirt Roads

^^^^
Of course, the Ocracoke-Hatteras Ferry (NC-12) is still running and is free (whereas the Ocracoke Express passenger ferry cost $5 each way).  At one time, NCDOT Ferry Division did allow pedestrians to use the car ferries, but it's a long walk from the east end ferry terminal down to the town of Ocracoke.  The passenger ferry takes you straight into Silver Lake (lagoon) a drops you off walking distance to everything.

wdcrft63

The Pope Road bridge over I-95 in Harnett County is closed after being hit by an over height truck. The bridge has substandard clearance of 14 ft 6 in and has been hit before. A new bridge will be built as part of the ongoing reconstruction of I-95.
https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/illegally-over-height-vehicle-struck-damaged-bridge-over-i-95-in-harnett-county-ncdot-say/

LM117

The Knotts Island ferry route schedule will be adjusted for the new school times.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-08-16-currituck-changes.aspx

roadman65

I believed we talked about NC and their alternate routes and I did raise a question about why ALT US 74 in Western NC is signed with a suffix despite between Laurinburg and Lumberton the same route alternate route is signed with a banner.

To me I think it should be consistent in each state and not have different districts do as they please.  I can see one state using a suffix over another state using a banner, but not the same state. Although the A suffix was the norm in NC up until the nineties when US 64 started to get ALT banners upon completion of what now is Future I-87, so Asheville could be a hold out from then, but wouldn't sign replacements have some ALT US 74 shields.

Plus wasn't ALT US 74 applied when the current US 74 freeway got completed and realigned and old 74 being 74A?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Dirt Roads

^^^
I've wondered the same thing.  However, NCDOT is showing the advantage of bannered Alternate U.S. Routes when the new main route gets upgraded to Interstate status.  When the US-70 Super Two got upgraded to I-85 back in 1960, the (then) North Carolina Highway Commission had to take down all of the almost new US-70A between (then) Hillsboro' and Greensboro and replace them with US-70 shields (just like they were a few years before).

While it looks doubtful that Alt US-74 will ever return to US-74 (because of the parallel I-74 corridor), it now appears likely that US-70 and US-64 will return to their previous routings in many areas when the I-42 and I-87 signage gets installed.  I even wonder if Business US-64/Business US-264 between Raleigh and Zebulon will get their banners ripped off when I-87 is completely upgraded all the way between the Knightdale Bypass and I-95.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 21, 2023, 02:37:34 PM
^^^
I've wondered the same thing.  However, NCDOT is showing the advantage of bannered Alternate U.S. Routes when the new main route gets upgraded to Interstate status.  When the US-70 Super Two got upgraded to I-85 back in 1960, the (then) North Carolina Highway Commission had to take down all of the almost new US-70A between (then) Hillsboro' and Greensboro and replace them with US-70 shields (just like they were a few years before).

While it looks doubtful that Alt US-74 will ever return to US-74 (because of the parallel I-74 corridor), it now appears likely that US-70 and US-64 will return to their previous routings in many areas when the I-42 and I-87 signage gets installed.  I even wonder if Business US-64/Business US-264 between Raleigh and Zebulon will get their banners ripped off when I-87 is completely upgraded all the way between the Knightdale Bypass and I-95.

The Knightdale US 64 BUS is not concurrent with a US 264 BUS.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Strider

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 21, 2023, 02:37:34 PM
^^^

I could see US 74 returning back to its original route where US 74 ALT is now, leaving I-74 on the freeway (because signing both I-74/US 74 while you have US 74 ALT paralleling it is just silly, IMO). I highly doubt that will happen, but with NCDOT currently and SLOWLY moving US 70 out of I-85/US 29 to follow NC 68 and Wendover Ave through High Point and Greensboro, and US 264 is being put back to its original route replacing US 264 ALT between Saratoga and Greenville, I could see it happening with any other routes.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: roadman65 on August 20, 2023, 08:03:55 PM
I believed we talked about NC and their alternate routes and I did raise a question about why ALT US 74 in Western NC is signed with a suffix despite between Laurinburg and Lumberton the same route alternate route is signed with a banner.

To me I think it should be consistent in each state and not have different districts do as they please.  I can see one state using a suffix over another state using a banner, but not the same state. Although the A suffix was the norm in NC up until the nineties when US 64 started to get ALT banners upon completion of what now is Future I-87, so Asheville could be a hold out from then, but wouldn't sign replacements have some ALT US 74 shields.

Plus wasn't ALT US 74 applied when the current US 74 freeway got completed and realigned and old 74 being 74A?

It is signed as ALT US 74 where it exits US 74 at Forest City, but from there to Asheville everything is signed as 74A or 74-A.

The signing plans for the US 221 bypass of Rutherfordton keeps it as US 74A.

I would not be surprised if 74A is eliminated between Asheville and Forest City and becomes OG 74 if and when 74 receives an interstate designation from I-26 to I-85. Would that require a US 74 Truck designation on I-26/future interstate between Asheville and Forest City? Does that improve anything or just complicate things for no good reason?

Speaking of 74 and truck routes, I haven't been able to figure out this isolated US 74 Truck sign on I-26 just east of I-40 and Brevard Rd. I think it's a typo and supposed to be US 64 Truck.

roadman65

Also in Asheville on I-240 WB and US 19/23/74A where they split for I-240 to head south at Patton Ave, the US 74 A shield is not present along with US 19 & 23 for Patton Avenue.  Wondering if US 74A is on its way out as it's redundant to have it follow closely its parent Route while concurrent with two other mainline US designations.
https://www.aaroads.com/nc/240/i-240-w-exit-003-5.jpg

Courtesy AA Roads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.