News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Basketball

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, December 07, 2013, 05:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

There is a thread for every other Big Four sport (Hockey, baseball, [American] football), even [association] football has one, but there is no thread about basketball. So here is one. Basketball seems to be the only Big Four sport that is popular in both sides of the pond. Every season I watch a game of my hometown team, but that basketball is different from NBA one, which might dominate this thread.

Some days ago they postponed the game that was going to be played in Mexico City due to smoke. Since this was the Spurs @ Timberwolves, it will be played in Minneapolis at a later date.

Oh, and the Gasol brothers aren't American, they are Spanish, exactly from Barcelona metropolitan area.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Zeffy

Well let's see, I follow Basketball (NBA) as my second sport, with Football (NFL) being the first. That being said...

I think it's interesting to see how Chicago will go on this season without Derrick Rose. (again) Even though this injury wasn't as bad as the ACL injury 2-3 years ago, it still will affect him coming back and being the allstar point guard he was in his rookie year. I wonder how Chicago is going to let this play - still push for the playoffs, or concede and try and rebuild the team?

Now, as a Lakers fan, I'm ecstatic seeing Kobe Bryant coming back to play on Sunday. Granted, it will be a limited appearance, but seeing as he recovered from his Achilles injury on a pace that no-one expected, it will be interesting to see how he contributes to the team. Although, I'll be honest, I'm not sure of what the Lakers are going to be able to do in terms of making it to the playoffs this season. With Kobe back, unless he goes all-out to carry his team to the playoffs (unlikely considering he'll still be recovering from the injury), I can't see us winning him another ring. Sorry Kobe.

Also on my mind is Indy-effing-anna. 17-2. Nice to see a team that isn't the Heat atop the eastern conference.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

Here's a question:

Why are the scores always so close? For example, one game might have the final score be 89 to 91.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

DaBigE

Quote from: 1 on December 07, 2013, 07:31:23 PM
Here's a question:

Why are the scores always so close? For example, one game might have the final score be 89 to 91.

Because you can score points much faster, especially if both teams are making a high percentage of their shots. That's why the last minute of a game seems to take forever. Remember, scoring in basketball is in 1s, 2s, and 3s, and not the 3s and 7s of football.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Alps

Basketball gets briefly exciting in early to mid March.

DaBigE

Quote from: Steve on December 08, 2013, 12:38:36 PM

Agreed. IMO, the NBA season is way too long. The only basketball I come close to following is NCAA.

Alps

Quote from: DaBigE on December 08, 2013, 03:32:52 PM

Agreed. IMO, the NBA season is way too long. The only basketball I come close to following is NCAA.
That, and the NBA isn't remotely interesting to watch. Just check out the top 10 plays on ESPN and you'll get your dunk fix.

Stephane Dumas

What about games of some minors leagues like NBA D-league, ABA, PBL etc...?

hotdogPi

Here's the reason why I think it's not interesting:

In baseball, football, hockey, and soccer, scoring is rare, and everyone cheers when the team scores.

In basketball, points are gained about once per minute, and it's the same thing over and over. No special things happen.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

DaBigE

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 09, 2013, 10:37:29 AM

What about games of some minors leagues like NBA D-league, ABA, PBL etc...?

Since they're not carried on major networks and rarely ever mentioned on the local news, they don't bother me. Also for the fact that many of those players aren't nearly as over-paid and whiny as the NBA show-offs.

tchafe1978

Basketball was always my favorite sport growing up, but that's been overtaken by football. I still love to watch college basketball, especially come tournament time. I can't hardly bear to watch the NBA, however. Maybe it's the whiney players complaining at every call, the boring isolation plays, or the fact that my hometown team, the Bucks, have literally sucked for years. I do remember as a kid though, when the Bucks were one of the best teams during the 80's, and they traded away my favorite player, Terry Cummings, and I started crying like it was the end of the world. Maybe it was because I realized it was the beginning of the end of good Bucks teams. As far as college goes, I'm a huge fan of Wisconsin and Marquette. When they play their annual rivalry game, I don't care who wins as long as it's a good game.

Stephane Dumas

Canada will get another basketball league. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/mike-morreale-q-a-1.5258105 

Some posters on the Skyscraperpage forums talk of this league and the future of the NBLC (National Basketball League of Canada) with ones of these 2 leagues folding or a possible merger of these leagues.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=236703&page=8

Big John

SSOWorld

Quote from: Big John on January 21, 2020, 10:17:58 PM
Then it can get very ugly,  Fight between KU and KSU:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/kansas-basketball-fight-vs-kansas-state-brawl-breaks-out-at-end-of-jayhawks-victory-vs-wildcats/
and they had to bring out players to "finish the game" when there was clearly no time left.  Gambling FTL.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ET21

What's a professional basketball team? Asking as a Bulls fan who hasn't had one since the 2010-11 season
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

bing101

Wow it's interesting to see that Fox Sports uses the Old NBA on NBC theme for College Basketball. I always think of Olympic Basketball playoffs and NBA Finals when I hear this song.

bing101

The original edition of Roundball Rock

CtrlAltDel

I was always partial to the one where the little lasers cut out the NBC logo at the beginning, which starts at 1:13.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Henry

That song's title is Roundball Rock, and it was composed by the great John Tesh. FWIW, I think of the Bulls' two championship runs in the 90s whenever I hear it.

Also, the 2020 All-Star Game is in Chicago, so I'm excited to see the game being played in my hometown after 32 years!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

Quote from: Henry on February 05, 2020, 10:26:53 AM
That song's title is Roundball Rock, and it was composed by the great John Tesh. FWIW, I think of the Bulls' two championship runs in the 90s whenever I hear it.

Also, the 2020 All-Star Game is in Chicago, so I'm excited to see the game being played in my hometown after 32 years!

Same here and I think of the Olympics and the early 2000's Lakers too whenever I hear roundball rock used in both NBA games and Olympic basketball games on NBC.

But then again everyone that's watching college basketball games on Fox  or in the stadium was most likely not even born yet when the NBA finals were on NBC Sports. This current audience associate Roundball Rock for College Basketball playoffs.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Henry on February 05, 2020, 10:26:53 AM

Here's Tesh playing the song in concert. Incidentally, he also mentions the Bulls.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Henry

Personally, the 90s gave us two of the best basketball themes ever recorded, the aforementioned Roundball Rock and this gem from CBS College Basketball:

Of course, being a UCLA alum, my favorite memory from that decade is when the Bruins won the national championship (and this year is the 25th anniversary of that event).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Henry

How would you feel about the NBA shortening its season and adding a midseason tournament? Adam Silver is apparently pushing for it.

bing101

Quote from: Henry on February 20, 2020, 10:26:01 AM
How would you feel about the NBA shortening its season and adding a midseason tournament? Adam Silver is apparently pushing for it.
Sounds interesting on paper but I would like to see that in Practice. Also the NBA has to consider how many of their coaches and players will show up on the Olympic basketball this year though.

hbelkins

College basketball officiating is terrible. Prove me wrong.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.