News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions (sports edition)

Started by kenarmy, March 31, 2021, 01:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on June 12, 2021, 12:53:29 PM
In the NFL, the following teams should switch divisions:

Miami Dolphins to the AFC South
Indianapolis Colts to the AFC North
Baltimore Ravens to the AFC East

Dallas Cowboys to the NFC South
Carolina Panthers to the NFC East

This would solve the two biggest issues with the current divisions, which is the Cowboys are too far west/south to be in the NFC East, and the Colts being in the AFC South despite being located north of the Bengals.

This would also mean that all three Florida teams are in a South Division.

:popcorn:

But rivalries.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Alps on June 12, 2021, 01:55:14 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 12, 2021, 12:53:29 PM
In the NFL, the following teams should switch divisions:

Miami Dolphins to the AFC South
Indianapolis Colts to the AFC North
Baltimore Ravens to the AFC East

Dallas Cowboys to the NFC South
Carolina Panthers to the NFC East

This would solve the two biggest issues with the current divisions, which is the Cowboys are too far west/south to be in the NFC East, and the Colts being in the AFC South despite being located north of the Bengals.

This would also mean that all three Florida teams are in a South Division.

:popcorn:

But rivalries.

Rivalries would be biggest obstacle.  Cowboys vs Falcons, Saints, and Bucs doesn't feel quite same as Cowboys vs Washington, NYG, and Eagles.  The Cardinals not so much from the days of old lol
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

1995hoo

TV would be the biggest obstacle as to the NFC realignment. The networks like having Dallas in the same division with three big-market East Coast teams, although one could quite reasonably dispute Washington's relevance in recent years (last year's division title notwithstanding). Arguably, putting Dallas in a division with Tampa Bay and New Orleans might generate more interest, at least until a certain quarterback in Tampa retires, but a rational league doesn't realign over one player.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

The league is never going to give up the Cowboys 2x a year rivalries with the other three NFC East teams, nor the Dolphins rivalries with their old AFL rivals in the Northeast.

Plus, geography doesn't mean as much when you only travel to 8-9 games per year, as opposed to the much more travel heavy NBA, NHL and MLB, where you really need to keep geographical alignment as tight as possible.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

gr8daynegb

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 14, 2021, 05:21:14 PM
TV would be the biggest obstacle as to the NFC realignment. The networks like having Dallas in the same division with three big-market East Coast teams, although one could quite reasonably dispute Washington's relevance in recent years (last year's division title notwithstanding). Arguably, putting Dallas in a division with Tampa Bay and New Orleans might generate more interest, at least until a certain quarterback in Tampa retires, but a rational league doesn't realign over one player.

Think that would depend on how good the Saints, Bucs, and Falcons would have been in this scenario. Those cities fanbases show up good when their teams are winning, but disappear once they are mediocre or worse.  The NFC regardless of years their fanbases are reliable most of the time to show up in thick and thin. 

Big John

Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 11:04:11 AM
Quote from: thspfc on April 07, 2021, 07:43:11 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on April 05, 2021, 03:48:13 PM
I don't cheer for the Browns success.
Also agree. One wild card season and a victory over a slumping team in a game you almost legendarily choked away doesn't elevate them off the bottom of the league. Sure, they have reasons to be optimistic, but the level of disillusionment from their fanbase is off the charts.

They're certainly elevated from the very bottom of the league. This the best season/offseason they've had in several decades. I'd say let the fans enjoy it.

Quote from: kenarmy on April 07, 2021, 10:52:48 AM
- Washington Football Team isn't the bad of a name.

That's not an unpopular take. If it was, they would have found a new name by now.
They plan to change it early next year. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/10/washington-football-team-will-unveil-new-name-and-logo-in-early-2022/

thspfc

Quote from: Big John on July 10, 2021, 05:09:01 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 11:04:11 AM
Quote from: thspfc on April 07, 2021, 07:43:11 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on April 05, 2021, 03:48:13 PM
I don't cheer for the Browns success.
Also agree. One wild card season and a victory over a slumping team in a game you almost legendarily choked away doesn't elevate them off the bottom of the league. Sure, they have reasons to be optimistic, but the level of disillusionment from their fanbase is off the charts.

They're certainly elevated from the very bottom of the league. This the best season/offseason they've had in several decades. I'd say let the fans enjoy it.

Quote from: kenarmy on April 07, 2021, 10:52:48 AM
- Washington Football Team isn't the bad of a name.

That's not an unpopular take. If it was, they would have found a new name by now.
They plan to change it early next year. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/10/washington-football-team-will-unveil-new-name-and-logo-in-early-2022/
Last year they were planning to change it this summer. Not going to happen. I think that keeping "Football Team"  for all eternity would be silly, but I wouldn't mind "Football Club"  or "Football Franchise" .

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on July 10, 2021, 07:43:41 PM
Last year they were planning to change it this summer. Not going to happen. I think that keeping "Football Team"  for all eternity would be silly, but I wouldn't mind "Football Club"  or "Football Franchise" .

Football clubs play association football, not American football.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Takumi on July 26, 2021, 12:32:58 AM
I don't care about the Olympics.
considering was a 5 million viewer drop from previous Olympics this became a somewhat more popular stance lol

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: gr8daynegb on July 26, 2021, 09:05:48 AM
considering was a 5 million viewer drop from previous Olympics this became a somewhat more popular stance lol
No fans at games, covid issues among athletes, the events being at awkward times.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

I haven't watched any of it live. Watched some soccer highlights, but with barely any stars playing it's hard to get into.

CNGL-Leudimin

Sports events should be labelled the year they actually take place. Looking at you, Euro 202(1) and Tokyo 202(1).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

wanderer2575

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 26, 2021, 02:55:39 PM
Sports events should be labelled the year they actually take place. Looking at you, Euro 202(1) and Tokyo 202(1).

Next you'll say that a vehicle's model year should be the year it's first sold, and that a magazine's publication month should be the month the magazine is actually published.   

Seriously, I'll give your two examples a pass.  They probably have a zillion dollars of 2020-branded merchandise to unload.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on July 26, 2021, 12:23:39 PM
I haven't watched any of it live. Watched some soccer highlights, but with barely any stars playing it's hard to get into.

The men's soccer tournament is not for senior national teams. It's a U-23 tournament with up to 3 overage players allowed. Europe, South America and North America had/have continental championships this summer that took priority over the Olympics.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 26, 2021, 03:43:09 PM

Next you'll say that a vehicle's model year should be the year it's first sold, and that a magazine's publication month should be the month the magazine is actually published.   

Seriously, I'll give your two examples a pass.  They probably have a zillion dollars of 2020-branded merchandise to unload.

I like your examples also.

Takumi

Not all countries do “model year”. Japan is one of them. In Japan you can buy a 1999 Honda S2000, for example, but in the US the earliest model year for the S2000 is 2000 even though the cars started production for both markets simultaneously.

And that poster is pedantic enough that yes, he probably does think both those things.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CNGL-Leudimin

LOL, why I would say that? As long as something labelled with a certain time frame happens or is sold within that same frame I'm fine. So I don't mind product released ahead of time. But if something is delayed so that would miss the time frame intended, then it should be changed. Thus, I consider no Euro 2020 or 2020 Summer Olympics to have ever taken place, instead they are Euro 2021 and 2021 Summer Olympics respectively.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

wanderer2575

^^  I was making a joke, folks.  Guess I wasn't clear.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on July 26, 2021, 11:46:00 PM

Not all countries do “model year”. Japan is one of them. In Japan you can buy a 1999 Honda S2000, for example, but in the US the earliest model year for the S2000 is 2000 even though the cars started production for both markets simultaneously.

And that poster is pedantic enough that yes, he probably does think both those things.

Sometimes the Japanese-market vehicles get a year or so in their own market before importing them overseas, but I think that's become less common, especially as so many more are home-grown in the States. Maybe if the vehicle wasn't originally intended for the North American market, then that occurs nowadays.

I think the shift in model year expectation occurred in some Madison Avenue boardroom, probably post-WWII. Apocryphally, I've heard that years ago, most new vehicle sales in the Midwest (the hub of auto manufacturing) were just after the fall harvest. The farmers and the local economy had more money and to entice sales late in the year, the model year was advertised for the upcoming year. There's usually an exception for an all-new vehicle design or model; if they start production as early as January, they can get away with selling it as the next model year in that case.

A common example of that was the 1982 Corvette was the 3rd-generation model and the all-new 1984 Corvette was produced in 1983...there were no 1983 model-year Corvettes manufactured. Dealerships probably didn't want batches of vehicles that appeared "old" so they decided that June 30th was the last production date for that model year, and subsequent production starting on July 1st was the next model year, since it might take a 2-3 months from assembly to sale (add a month for import sales).

...and now back to you in the booth!

kphoger

I used to think that was rare, but I'm becoming more and more aware of people who don't watch the Olympics at all.

For my wife and me, the Olympics are one of only two times we ever watch live TV (the other being tornado warnings).  In fact, we just subscribed to Peacock right before the Olympics started this year, and I'm sure we'll ditch it after they're over.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 27, 2021, 04:28:16 AM
LOL, why I would say that? As long as something labelled with a certain time frame happens or is sold within that same frame I'm fine. So I don't mind product released ahead of time. But if something is delayed so that would miss the time frame intended, then it should be changed. Thus, I consider no Euro 2020 or 2020 Summer Olympics to have ever taken place, instead they are Euro 2021 and 2021 Summer Olympics respectively.

That works for a vehicle's model year, because it is produced throughout the year.  But what about, say, the Rand McNally road atlas?  The 2021 RMN road atlas was published on 23-APR-2020.  That's a one-time event, and at least some of the information will be out of date by the time 2021 rolls around.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Last weekend, I returned from leading VBS (Vacation Bible School) in Mexico.  As part of the first day's lesson, I was teaching about how each one of us has unique interests that isn't necessarily like the rest of our peers.  I asked a few of them to share something they like but no one else does, or something they don't like but everyone else does.  In that vein, I said in front of about 60 Mexican kids (plus adults) that soccer and baseball are both boring.

Holy cow, you should have seen the reaction!   :wow:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2023, 01:02:24 PM
Last weekend, I returned from leading VBS (Vacation Bible School) in Mexico.  As part of the first day's lesson, I was teaching about how each one of us has unique interests that isn't necessarily like the rest of our peers.  I asked a few of them to share something they like but no one else does, or something they don't like but everyone else does.  In that vein, I said in front of about 60 Mexican kids (plus adults) that soccer and baseball are both boring.

Next time tell them tacos really aren't that good.

kurumi

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2023, 01:02:24 PM

You could follow up by quoting Galatians 4:16 :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.