News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL Sunday Ticket rights goes to Google

Started by ZLoth, December 22, 2022, 10:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From NFL:

NFL And Google Partner to Bring Fans the Next Generation of NFL Sunday Ticket on YouTube Tv and YouTube Primetime Channels
QuoteThe National Football League today announced a multi-year agreement with Google granting YouTube TV and YouTube Primetime Channels the right to exclusively distribute NFL Sunday Ticket to consumers in the United States starting with the 2023 NFL season. This strategic partnership will provide fans greater access to NFL Sunday Ticket while tapping into the best of YouTube's technology and product innovation.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

I see a batch of DirecTV cancellations starting on Monday, January 9th, followed by the words "I'm free! I'm free!"

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SP Cook

Not so fast, sparky.  Remember that DirecTV lost money on this package from day one.  So why did they carry it.  Because to buy it, you had to first buy its regular TV service. 

And Google will do the same thing.  To buy ST, you will have to first buy its YouTubeTV package, which is an inferior collection of TV channels to DirecTV's or most any cable company's.   It is even inferior to Dish.  Or buy multiple streaming services that it resells at a markup under its YouTube Primetime marketplace.  And not the good streamers, but niche things like Acorn, AllBlk, and Great Courses. 

You ain't free.

ZLoth

Quote from: SP Cook on December 22, 2022, 12:33:33 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on December 22, 2022, 10:31:35 AMI see a batch of DirecTV cancellations starting on Monday, January 9th, followed by the words "I'm free! I'm free!"
Not so fast, sparky.  Remember that DirecTV lost money on this package from day one.  So why did they carry it.  Because to buy it, you had to first buy its regular TV service.

In other words, a "loss leader". I'm well aware of it. The problem is the quality of service that DirecTV has provided over the past several years has declined. When I moved from California to Texas, I also made the decision to drop DirecTV and go all streaming.... until my mother wanted certain channels. Thus DirecTV Stream which did not offer Sunday Ticket. Sorry, but I'm not a big enough 49ers fan to subscribe to that package. I'll stick with the post-game highlights.

From what I read, the NFL laid down some strict restrictions including the minimum price for the package ($300 annually), that the local team cannot be carried, and that the local stations have primary rights to the games. I know that there are multiple fans would would love to subscribe to follow their specific out-of-town team for a lower price, but the NFL won't allow it. Also, DirecTV may still be involved in this package because the bar/restaurant does not have sufficient available Internet bandwidth to carry multiple games, and DirecTV may still be utilized in this situation.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SP Cook

All correct.  The DirecTV game plan was to predicate access to ST to first buying your regular TV from it.  And, to prevent "churn"  which would be signing up for the season and then moving on, they required a two year commitment.  YTTV is going to do the exact same thing.  You will have to get your TV, or buy multiple streamers at a mark up, from YouTube.  The only difference being YTTV is inferior to almost any alternative. 

The NFL requires a $300 minimum price, because it does not want local stations to lose too many viewers.  And whatever games are shown locally, which are 3 games in most cases, are not shown on YTTV.

And, this deal was ONLY for the home rights.  The NFL is now going to sell the public exhibition rights, aka sports bars.  The obvious choice is DirecTV.  The number of bars which could get the type of internet that would support up to 12 HD games at once on multiple screens, is very limited.   Even in places where the internet is really good, that is a lot; and even in places where the internet is really good, the coverage in commercial places like a strip mall, who really only need enough internet to make the credit card machine work, is spotty.

1995hoo

Quote from: SP Cook on December 22, 2022, 12:33:33 PM

And Google will do the same thing.  To buy ST, you will have to first buy its YouTubeTV package, which is an inferior collection of TV channels to DirecTV's or most any cable company's.  ....

That's marketing hype that the cable and satellite providers want you to believe. It's misleading for most people. Do you get fewer channels via YouTube TV? Yes. But the real question is, does that matter? The individual subscriber has to consider what channels he actually watches and whether he'll lose any of those if he switches. For my wife and me, there wasn't a major issue in that respect–the main things we lost by switching were religious channels, some kiddie channels, the "adult" channels, and certain premium sports subscription packages we didn't subscribe to. But we didn't watch any of the channels in those categories. The only two channels we lost that we feel were much of a loss are MASN and MASN2, which carry the Nationals (uh, well, so not so much of a loss this past season)–and there are other ways to get those two. Meanwhile, we pay $75 a month less. Why should I feel that I'm being cheated out of something when I'm simply giving up channels I didn't watch anyway?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ZLoth

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 22, 2022, 06:21:27 PMThat's marketing hype that the cable and satellite providers want you to believe. It's misleading for most people. Do you get fewer channels via YouTube TV? Yes. But the real question is, does that matter? The individual subscriber has to consider what channels he actually watches and whether he'll lose any of those if he switches.

The Streamable has a good selector where you can put in networks, shows, and teams that you like watching, and it will respond with the best match of service.

1995hoo

A similar site to that is http://suppose.tv, though it works best on a desktop or laptop, rather than a phone or tablet, due to the amount of dragging needed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: SP Cook on December 22, 2022, 02:40:42 PMAnd, to prevent "churn"  which would be signing up for the season and then moving on, they required a two year commitment.  YTTV is going to do the exact same thing.  You will have to get your TV, or buy multiple streamers at a mark up, from YouTube.
YouTube and its vMVPD have never required a device purchased from Google or required signing any contract. (Currently watching YT on an old Xbox as I type this.)

QuoteThe NFL requires a $300 minimum price, because it does you want local stations to lose too many viewers.  And whatever games are shown locally, which are 3 games in most cases, are not shown on YTTV.

YTTV service includes local stations in the majority of US markets.

The big takeaway is that one no longer has to commit to a provider and its equipment for multiple years just for the privilege of subscribing to ST...
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SP Cook

The actual big takeaway is that whatever YTTV was, is irrelevant.  It now must conduct itself exactly as DirecTV did, I order to lose an acceptable level of money.

You ain't free

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.