News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fixing I-49 South Between Wax Lake Outlet and Berwick -- My Alternate Plan

Started by Anthony_JK, March 06, 2014, 01:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony_JK

OK, as promised.....

I had posted earlier that I had some serious issues with the revised and reduced plan for the upgrade of US 90 into I-49 South between Wax Lake Outlet and Berwick.

Basically, the original plan that was approved by LaDOTD and FHWA through the 2008 Record of Decision would have elevated the mainlanes of US 90 through Patterson and Bayou Vista around the meander of the Atchafalaya River, while rearranging the supporting surface one-way local access roads as a boulevard on the northern half of the ROW. The elevated freeway would have occupied the southern half of the existing US 90 ROW between the boulevard and the BNSF Railway mainline that runs through the corridor. It also would have allowed for a new two-way frontage road bridge across the Calumet Cut/Wax Lake Outlet on the north side of the existing US 90 bridge for a local reconnection of LA 182, and interchanges with the access roads on both sides of the Wax Lake Bridge. It also had an emergency access road on the southern side for emergency entrance/exit for a major gas plant between Calumet and Patterson.

The revised plan released late last year by LaDOTD eliminates the elevated segment nearly entirely, providing cross access only through an elevated interchange with Red Cypress Road just west of Patterson and a localized grade-seperated overpass at Cotten Road in Patterson, and provides a limited two-way frontage road system for local access. It would also add a new frontage road (with a new bridge over Wax Lake Outlet) on the southern side of US 90, paralleling and on the south flank of the BNSF line, for access to the gas plant, utilizing a one-way emergency access ramp to the Red Cypress interchange. The latter would also be upgraded to pass over the BNSF line and get extended into the southern portions of Patterson for access to those areas south of the railroad; otherwise, the northern and southern sections of Patterson would be literally cut off from each other due to the at-grade and controlled access nature of the converted freeway.

I understand that the goal was to reduce the costs and expedite the funding and construction of I-49 South, but I think that LADOTD seriously undermined themselves and essentially gutted a perfectly good proposal into one with serious issues for residents of those communities. Henceforth, I'm putting forth my own proposal that would resolve all those issues of access while as much as possible keeping costs down. I don't have the capacity of drawing my proposals as of now, so please bear with me as I describe them vocally.

Part One: Wax Lake Outlet to Red Cypress Rd. -- Interchange with West LA 182 Access Rd at Ricohoc (as planned); grade seperation with East Access Road in Calumet connecting to existing LA 182 (reconnected using proposed frontage road bridge across Wax Lake Outlet; two-way frontage roads on both sides of US 90 between East Access Rd and Red Cypress Road, south frontage road on south side of BNSF line directly accessing Calumet Gas Plant from both directions. (Option for south frontage road bridge across Wax Lake Outlet to allow access to I-49/US 90 via Ricohoc interchange.) Elevated Red Cypress Rd interchange as proposed in 2013 revision study (elevated SPUI), extended south over BNSF line, then tying into SE extension of south frontage road into southern portions of city of Patterson. Red Cypress Rd connections to north frontage road would be provided as well at grade.

(Addedum: I actually would prefer a second interchange with the eastern access road at Calumet as the original plans had, but that was axed due to the new FHWA regs regarding spacing between interchanges on rural freeways. However, if InDOT could get a waiver to those regs for I-69 through Bloomington, then why shouldn't LaDOTD try to get one for this case, especially since an east interchange would better serve both the gas plant and the local Calumet airport nearby?)

From Red Cypress Road through Patterson/Idlewild: Restoration of general concept of ROD via an elevated freeway w/ surface boulevard/one-way service road couplet: beginning at Red Cypress interchange as flanking roadways, then transitioning into boulevard segment near Catherine St., extending through Patterson to Cotten Road. The north two-way frontage road from Red Cypress would transition into the one-way system at Catherine or Church St. All major existing crossing points (Veterans Dr./Railroad Ave.Enterprise Rd./Bernard St., Tiffany/Lipari Sts., Lassus St./West LA 182, Clausen Rd., Kemper Williams Park entrance road, and Cotten Rd.) would remain open underneath the elevated segments of US 90/I-49, and the surface boulevard section would provide the main local distribution of traffic....in effect, serving as the through route for LA 182 through the "Meander" and also as a virtual "Business Route" for US 90/I-49.

Cotten Rd to Southeast Boulevard: Maintain surface boulevard through East LA 182, then transition back to flanking mainline near Donlon St./entrance to Bayou Vista Walmart in advance of Southeast Blvd. Interchange. Mainline would transition to at-grade freeway after Cotten Rd, then elevate near Donlon St. for frontage road transition & Southeast Blvd overpass/interchange. A two way frontage road would be added from Cotten Rd. eastward just S of BNSF line for accessing adjacent areas and for accessing the sewage treatment plant located on opposite side of Southeast Blvd on eastern fringe of Bayou Vista. Optional extension of Southeast Blvd across BNSF tracks to connect with frontage road and improve access to sewage treatment plant.

Southeast Blvd to Berwick: One-way local frontage road network ends at Southeast Blvd; two way frontage road tying into local street system would be built on north side of US 90 to access levee road on Bayou Vista city limits line. Additional auxilliary lane on US 90 mainline in both directions between Southeast Blvd. and Thorgouson Road/Berwick South Road interchanges. No changes otherwise.

Like I said, if I had the drawing expertise of others, I would gladly give you a visual of what I'm proposing, but since I don't, please trust what I am proposing. Those who know the area will better grok what I'm saying.

Well....the floor is open for comments. Whadayathink??

jbnv

Can you draw some maps of your ideas? I do want to study and understand your proposal but I'm bad with large passages of text.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jbnv

I've started drawing out the idea on Google Maps.

Basically, if it helps get the upgrade built, I'm all for it. Also, I don't see the need for the whole thing to be elevated. The BNSF track pretty much cuts off the north from the south as it is. Perhaps one overpass at Veterans Drive and a new thru street on the southside (which I will show on my map).
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Anthony_JK

Quote from: jbnv on March 07, 2014, 09:57:19 PM
Can you draw some maps of your ideas? I do want to study and understand your proposal but I'm bad with large passages of text.

If I had even minimal expertise in drawing, I'd certainly map it out....but since I don't, and I value my membership in this forum not to embarrass myself, imagination would have to do for now. Though, if you know the area and would like to draw it for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

jbnv

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.