News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Songs that you thought were a lot older

Started by roadman65, August 29, 2018, 09:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 28, 2019, 09:28:38 PM
Quote from: bing101 on January 28, 2019, 08:46:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1whm9gc0hmk

Wow This song from Japan Resembles something Carlos Santana would have done in the 2000s though.
Secret code?

No, just the formatting needs to confirm to the rules of this forum, that's all.

mrsman

Heard the song "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse.  Definitely has the feel of an early 1960's song.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 28, 2019, 09:28:38 PM
Quote from: bing101 on January 28, 2019, 08:46:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1whm9gc0hmk

Wow This song from Japan Resembles something Carlos Santana would have done in the 2000s though.
Secret code?

There you go.  The [.size=2px] code tag is what did it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6SyTbifErc

Dang I heard the remix from the Weeknd at first and I thought that cut was from the late 1980's and an unreleased Al B Sure song.

bing101

Rob Thomas just released a new song but one of his  new songs "Timeless" resembles the late 1980's early 1990's  though.

Verlanka

I keep thinking that Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" was from the 1960s, but it was actually from 1980.

Rothman

Quote from: Verlanka on April 29, 2019, 08:55:57 AM
I keep thinking that Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" was from the 1960s, but it was actually from 1980.
Heh.  Some of us remember when it came out. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

"I Love You Always Forever", Donna Lewis.  Honestly thought this song came out in the late 1980s, but it was actually 1996.  The album it came off of is also very good.

Buck87

The 1812 Overture.

Would have thought it was form 1812 or soon after based on the name, but it actually debuted in 1882.
Would have helped if I knew it was by Tchaikovsky, or when he lived.

roadman65

I thought that Steal Away by Robbie Dupree was from the 70's as it has the sound similar to songs like Laughter In The Rain by Neil Sedaka or any song by Neil Diamond of that era.

Then Union Of The Snake by Duran Duran was one I thought came out in the early 90's as that was the first time I ever heard it then.  It was not until a few years back I heard a rebroadcast of an old American Top 40 with Casey Casum that I learned that it came out in the early 80's.  In fact I thought at first Sam Becket from Quantum Leap, the NBC drama from the late 80's and early 90's about a man trapped in time changing history who changed history in front of my eyes it seemed so weird that I felt that it was a 90's song.

I guess it might of been when living in NJ in the 80's I listened to WNEW and did not hear the song when it did come out, and when I moved to FL in 1990 they must of decided on one station to replay stuff from the past.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

Quote from: mrsman on March 22, 2019, 03:29:36 PM
Heard the song "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse.  Definitely has the feel of an early 1960's song.

The would have never sung about that back then. Not only was it probably taboo, they probably didn't abbreviate back them. Would have probably said "Gonna get me some rehabilitation, for that alcoholism"

kurumi

In 1977 Fleetwood Mac's Rumours came out, selling more than 40 million copies. On it were pop songs like "Dreams", which we've all heard 1000 times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ywicffOj4

They've written better stuff, though, including the blues-oriented "The Chain": another example of a rock band's earlier stuff being better than the newer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBYHwH1Vb-c

Too bad they had to sell out and go soft, huh.

However, "The Chain" and "Dreams" are on the same album.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm So Afraid on the Buckingham/Nicks debut Fleetwood Mac album is a great bass/guitar driven track.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

amroad17

"You Get What You Give" by New Radicals came out in 1998.  It sounds mid 1980's to me--the song kind of sounded like something the Electric Light Orchestra would have done in the 1980's.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jon daly

This isn't much newer than I thought, but "Groove Tonight" by Earth, Wind, and Fire is in a pharmaceutical ad. I thought that it was from the 1970s. It's from 1981. I think it's a cover in the ad because it doesn't sound as synth-heavy as the EWF version.

Quote from: jon daly on May 10, 2019, 02:51:36 AM
This isn't much newer than I thought, but "Groove Tonight" by Earth, Wind, and Fire is in a pharmaceutical ad. I thought that it was from the 1970s. It's from 1981. I think it's a cover in the ad because it doesn't sound as synth-heavy as the EWF version.
I too thought that song was from the 70s until I looked it up last summer; it was one of the last disco songs to make the charts around here.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2019, 12:08:03 AM
I thought that Steal Away by Robbie Dupree was from the 70's as it has the sound similar to songs like Laughter In The Rain by Neil Sedaka or any song by Neil Diamond of that era.

Steal Away came out in 1980, the year after another song that sounds a lot like it, What a Fool Believes by the Doobie Brothers.

Another one that would seem a lot older is Theme From New York, New York.  Considering most of Sinatra's hits came out in the 40's and 50's, this one came out in 1979 (the original Liza Minelli version came out two years prior).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

For a time, the Yankees played Sinatra's version after a win and Minelli's version after a loss. Not surprisingly Minelli did not appreciate this and told the team to knock it off, so since then they just play the Sinatra version win or lose.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

KEVIN_224

I think Frank Sinatra's version was from around 1980. It was also the last time he appeared in the Top 40.

jon daly

I eventually found out that "NY, NY" was actually younger than me. But I did, for a long time, think it was a song from Sinatra's prime like "Strangers in the Night." (Please don't tell me that that one is actually from 1973 or thereabouts.)

jon daly

1966? That's newer than I thought, but not by a lot.

Rothman

Nah.  That's my parents' song and they met in 1972 (on a road trip between Provo, UT and Phoenix, AZ).

Connections to the songs help date them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on May 21, 2019, 12:31:51 AM
Nah.  That's my parents' song and they met in 1972 (on a road trip between Provo, UT and Phoenix, AZ).

Connections to the songs help date them.

Wait a minute. I was 11 years old in 1972. You weren't even born then. Yet some of the comments you make about your Kentucky roots and visits sound like they're straight out of the 1950s or 1960s. I had you pegged as being well into your 60s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Heh.  I guess I'm just an "old soul." :D

Still, the stuff I talk about mostly isn't from way back in the 1950s or 1960s.  I mean, I talk about remembering "New 80" being completed (and my grandfather driving us on it before it was) or the tolls being removed from the Mountain Parkway or, even more recently, the "Four Lane" bypass of Prestonsburg (US 23/US 460) -- those things are more recent than the 1950s and 1960s.  Other than that, I do pass along what my mother's or other relatives' experiences were growing up in eastern Kentucky (e.g., driving along KY 122 when portions of it was still the creek bed -- that was before my time...although the completion of KY 680 into Minnie certainly was not and cut a lot of time off of the drive from Martin to Wheelwright for us).  Thought I was pretty good about prefacing whatever I said as coming from what my mother told me when that was the case; sorry for the confusion.

Then again, some more cynical people might claim that some parts of Floyd County were a decade or so behind as is! :D

kphoger

I still haven't figured out what order the Beatles albums were released in, so I'm frequently wrong about whether one of their songs is "newer" or "older".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.