News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SWPA25 Road Enthusiast Meet

Started by PAHighways, February 15, 2024, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

As much as I want to make the meet, I must decline due to several circumstances out of my control.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Alps on April 19, 2024, 12:39:29 PMThere's a Pirates game the Friday night before that I would happily attend. I've heard the park is a wonderful experience. If anyone wants to join me please text, email or otherwise drop me a line so we can get tickets together!

There's also Kennywood

PAHighways

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 22, 2024, 07:59:21 PMThere's also Kennywood

If we had celebrated the 15th anniversary of the first SWPA, I would have gotten in for free, and I could have gotten up to 10 additional people free of charge.

Rothman

The bigger question is if Steel Curtain would be running.  There has to be Vegas odds on that bet nowadays...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PAHighways

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2024, 07:00:46 AMThe bigger question is if Steel Curtain would be running.  There has to be Vegas odds on that bet nowadays...

It won't be running at all this season, and there is now a lawsuit over the closure.

Rothman

Quote from: PAHighways on April 23, 2024, 10:15:29 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2024, 07:00:46 AMThe bigger question is if Steel Curtain would be running.  There has to be Vegas odds on that bet nowadays...

It won't be running at all this season, and there is now a lawsuit over the closure.

An interesting lawsuit.  Probably will just be settled out of court with most money going to the lawyers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Laura

As of now Rainey and I will not be attending the meet. She was invited to two birthday parties next weekend (one at Great Wolf Lodge!) and as much as I really wanted to be at this meet, her social life takes priority this weekend.

Mike's attendance is TBD.

PAHighways

The tour itinerary has now been posted at https://www.pahighways.com/meets/ with addresses of the stops as well as Google Map links.  It is in PDF format, so it may be printed out for those with in-car or stand-alone GPS systems, or downloaded to a smartphone for easy access while on the road.

Since the tour is far from the restaurant, I felt it would be safer to put that information on the itinerary so we don't end up with a long caravan of vehicles.  This way, drivers can take their time, and choose the route they'd like to take to get to the first stop, such as clinching Truck PA 148.  Also, I would like to avoid a repeat of the 2009 State College Meet where there was a fender bender because a driver was not paying attention to the vehicle in front of them.

Rothman

And $%*#.  Have to pull out of going to this meet because I just learned of a passing of a friend and will need to be attending his funeral instead.

oscar

I'm out as well. I'm limping home from the Bakersfield meet, and other western adventures, dog-tired with not enough time to recover for another meet.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

PAHighways

I am sorry to hear you folks won't be attending, but I understand.

Rothman

Quote from: oscar on April 30, 2024, 09:45:02 AMI'm out as well. I'm limping home from the Bakersfield meet, and other western adventures, dog-tired with not enough time to recover for another meet.

Hope you're doing okay health-wise.

oscar

Quote from: Rothman on April 30, 2024, 01:33:52 PMHope you're doing okay health-wise.

For one data point on that, see the group photo of the Bakersfield meet last month. I'm wearing a white shirt, holding the three-wheel walker I use to get around quickly without falling, and help support me when standing. I still have balance problems, but can manage well enough to do three solo cross-country road trips in the past year (including the one I'm wrapping up today).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/53652704960/in/album-72177720316194217/

The other appearance change shown in that photo is my white beard. Got tired of shaving, and was pleased to find my beard was less patchy than I had expected.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: oscar on May 01, 2024, 10:20:36 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 30, 2024, 01:33:52 PMHope you're doing okay health-wise.

For one data point on that, see the group photo of the Bakersfield meet last month. I'm wearing a white shirt, holding the three-wheel walker I use to get around quickly without falling, and help support me when standing. I still have balance problems, but can manage well enough to do three solo cross-country road trips in the past year (including the one I'm wrapping up today).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/53652704960/in/album-72177720316194217/

The other appearance change shown in that photo is my white beard. Got tired of shaving, and was pleased to find my beard was less patchy than I had expected.

I don't know what Max did, but the photo you linked to, Oscar, doesn't exist for the rest of us to see.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

PAHighways

Since we're less than 24 hours from SWPA25, I figured I would post a round-up of important information for tomorrow.

Details about lunch and the itinerary can be found at my site.  Lunch will be $17.50/person, so if you bring $21, the change plus the dollar (which equals 20%) can be gratuity for the servers since that is not included on the bill.

The weather is not looking great as showers will be in the area with possible thunderstorms after 2 PM, and the high temperature will be in the upper 60s as per the National Weather Service.

Attendees will receive a copy of the 2024 official state road map, which has one partially erroneous update since the 2023 edition.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.