News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 20, 2017, 03:45:06 PM
I-269 is only approved to I-40.

I assume the signing contract goes to US 70 because of the advance signage needed on southbound TN385 between I-40 and US 70, and perhaps because they'll want to sign the ramps for US70 » SB TN385 as "SOUTH 385 TO I-269"

FYI the signing plans are still online as linked previously in this thread; here's the link again: https://www.tdot.tn.gov/PublicDocuments//Construction/Design_CADD_Files/October%206,%202017%20Letting/Region%204/125391-00-RoadwayInfoOnly.pdf

I-269 will end for now just north of I-40, although from US 70 there will be at least one I-269 shield without a "TO" qualification on a BGS.

Interestingly enough neither Mississippi control city ("Tunica Miss" - which really doesn't need the state qualifier - or "Jackson Miss" - which does for rather obvious reasons) will actually be accessible until the complete road is open, so I wonder if TDOT will have them hold off on doing the signage changes until MDOT opens the section west of I-22. I'm also a little surprised neither Hernando nor Byhalia is being used for the more "local" destination signs instead of Tunica.

jamierazorback

Quote from: lordsutch on November 20, 2017, 09:37:38 PM

I assume the signing contract goes to US 70 because of the advance signage needed on southbound TN385 between I-40 and US 70, and perhaps because they'll want to sign the ramps for US70 » SB TN385 as "SOUTH 385 TO I-269"

FYI the signing plans are still online as linked previously in this thread; here's the link again: https://www.tdot.tn.gov/PublicDocuments//Construction/Design_CADD_Files/October%206,%202017%20Letting/Region%204/125391-00-RoadwayInfoOnly.pdf

Interesting enough I emailed Rachael Webb at TDOT back today about this issue. (the lady who responded to my last email). I asked her exactly what the plans are with the official end of I-269 and plans for US 70. She emailed back saying I-269 will end as of now between I-40 and Arlington US70 exit. She said there will be an end I-269 sign and Start 385 North. However, on US 70 there will be a sign for the entrance ramp heading south that says 269 Tunica Miss. I'm not sure if that means they will start 269 South right at the exit ramp, or right past that. Even thought I-269 is ending past the I-40/I-269 junction, there will only be a 385 north sign on I 40. That's not much of a surprise.

I-269 will end for now just north of I-40, although from US 70 there will be at least one I-269 shield without a "TO" qualification on a BGS.

Interestingly enough neither Mississippi control city ("Tunica Miss" - which really doesn't need the state qualifier - or "Jackson Miss" - which does for rather obvious reasons) will actually be accessible until the complete road is open, so I wonder if TDOT will have them hold off on doing the signage changes until MDOT opens the section west of I-22. I'm also a little surprised neither Hernando nor Byhalia is being used for the more "local" destination signs instead of Tunica.

jamierazorback

Per Rachael WEbb with TDOT she said the signage will start in a few months.

GreenLanternCorps

That make sense, the exits are close enough together that the Southbound lanes are effectively I-269 and will be signed as such, the Northbound lanes are effectively TN 385 and signed as such.

Henry

So I'm guessing that the northern section of the route will not get any I-269 signs until I-69 itself is constructed north of Memphis?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

codyg1985

Quote from: Henry on November 21, 2017, 09:36:26 AM
So I'm guessing that the northern section of the route will not get any I-269 signs until I-69 itself is constructed north of Memphis?

I would imagine that's the case, so in that case probably not in a million years.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jamierazorback

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 21, 2017, 10:07:52 AM

I would imagine that's the case, so in that case probably not in a million years.
I would say probably not in our lifetime. The only reason Tennessee decided to finish the I -69 from Kentucky to Dyersburg was to give I-69 interstate access to I-55, via I-155. At this point they might as well change the I-69 route to follow I-55 through Arkansas and into Memphis. I seriously doubt Tennessee will ever complete I-69 through west Tennessee.

silverback1065

will 269 ever cross the mississippi?

sparker

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 21, 2017, 04:34:24 PM
will 269 ever cross the mississippi?

Not unless Arkansas elects to contribute $$ to their portion of a Memphis bypass (something that's held up the longstanding "3rd Bridge" concept); which means likely never. 

wdcrft63

Quote from: jamierazorback on November 21, 2017, 02:57:53 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on November 21, 2017, 10:07:52 AM

I would say probably not in our lifetime. The only reason Tennessee decided to finish the I -69 from Kentucky to Dyersburg was to give I-69 interstate access to I-55, via I-155. At this point they might as well change the I-69 route to follow I-55 through Arkansas and into Memphis. I seriously doubt Tennessee will ever complete I-69 through west Tennessee.
More likely there will just be a gap. I doubt the AASHTO will buy taking I-69 over to I-55.

Life in Paradise

I can't see Arkansas ever having enough money to put another bridge over the Mississippi.  They have I-57 to finish to the Missouri line (the least costly of their projects), I-69 from Mississippi (with bridge contrib) through Southern Arkansas, and I-49 through hilly Western Arkansas.  They also have the I-530 extender from Pine Bluff to I-69.

lordsutch

Quote from: jamierazorback on November 21, 2017, 02:57:53 PM

TDOT would seem to disagree, since several projects on I-69 between Millington and Dyersburg are in line for funding due to the IMPROVE Act.

lordsutch

Quote from: lordsutch on November 17, 2017, 10:19:38 PM
While most of the small signs are in place it looks like there's still substantial work to be done at I-22 as of tonight: no overhead signs or advance BGSes are in place, the mainline striping is incomplete, etc.

Nothing that couldn't be knocked out in a few days (unless the posts for BGSes still need to be installed, since it'll take longer to cure the concrete - it was too dark to tell) but since it's likely MDOT told them not to do any work that might disrupt traffic Thanksgiving week I doubt it will open by the end of the month unless they plan to post some temporary signs.

Just to follow up, as of Sunday morning the process of installing BGSes was apparently interrupted by the holiday; a crane and a trailer with signs on it was parked on the I-269 eastbound C/D road over I-22. None of the guide signs seemed to be in place yet east/north of there, including the MS 309 interchange, but some of the overhead signs were in place west of the interchange already. The posts on the mainline I-22 for overhead signs were in place but the cross-beams and signs themselves weren't installed yet either. At MS 302 the striping wasn't yet in place either, so I guess the paint crew hadn't made it that far yet.

As far as timing is concerned, I don't know what MDOT's policy on flashing signals before they're activated is, but all of the new signals I saw (MS 302 at the northbound ramp, MS 309 at both ramps) were still covered and not in flash mode.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: lordsutch on November 27, 2017, 05:29:53 PM
While most of the small signs are in place it looks like there's still substantial work to be done at I-22 as of tonight: no overhead signs or advance BGSes are in place, the mainline striping is incomplete, etc.

Nothing that couldn't be knocked out in a few days (unless the posts for BGSes still need to be installed, since it'll take longer to cure the concrete - it was too dark to tell) but since it's likely MDOT told them not to do any work that might disrupt traffic Thanksgiving week I doubt it will open by the end of the month unless they plan to post some temporary signs.

Just to follow up, as of Sunday morning the process of installing BGSes was apparently interrupted by the holiday; a crane and a trailer with signs on it was parked on the I-269 eastbound C/D road over I-22. None of the guide signs seemed to be in place yet east/north of there, including the MS 309 interchange, but some of the overhead signs were in place west of the interchange already. The posts on the mainline I-22 for overhead signs were in place but the cross-beams and signs themselves weren't installed yet either. At MS 302 the striping wasn't yet in place either, so I guess the paint crew hadn't made it that far yet.

As far as timing is concerned, I don't know what MDOT's policy on flashing signals before they're activated is, but all of the new signals I saw (MS 302 at the northbound ramp, MS 309 at both ramps) were still covered and not in flash mode.

So, I'm guessing a November opening is too optimistic.   Given the number of signs probably involved and the painting that has to be done, I'm guessing early to mid-December.  Unless I am wrong, and they can accomplish more in three days than I think they can.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 28, 2017, 09:39:00 AM
So, I'm guessing a November opening is too optimistic.   Given the number of signs probably involved and the painting that has to be done, I'm guessing early to mid-December.  Unless I am wrong, and they can accomplish more in three days than I think they can.

I just want to be able to drive a brand-spanking new interstate when I check in on my father just before Christmas.  :)

Brooks

Quote from: lordsutch on November 27, 2017, 05:29:53 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. I'll be heading out to that area tomorrow to see if their statement is accurate or not. I did notice some large signs in place; however, not all of them were complete (i.e. signs on a trailer, masts only, etc.) Realistically, I'll probably expect a mid-December completion.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 28, 2017, 12:29:40 PM

I just want to be able to drive a brand-spanking new interstate when I check in on my father just before Christmas.  :)

"Hey Dad, I'm going to be in Memphis just before Christmas to drive on I-269, will you be home?  I might stop by to say hi."

lordsutch

Cue the "IT'S HAPPENING" GIF. Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were:

QuoteWHO:          Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert.   

WHAT:        Ribbon cutting ceremony for second completed section of Interstate 269 in DeSoto and Marshall counties.

WHEN:        Tuesday, December 5, at 11 a.m.                                                             

WHERE:      North end of the I-269 bridge one and one-half miles south of State Route 302 in Marshall County.

WHY:         The ceremony will officially open the section of I-269 from State Route 302 to State Route 305 to traffic.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: lordsutch on November 30, 2017, 12:59:45 PM

WHAT:        Ribbon cutting ceremony for second completed section of Interstate 269 in DeSoto and Marshall counties.

WHERE:      North end of the I-269 bridge one and one-half miles south of State Route 302 in Marshall County.

WHY:         The ceremony will officially open the section of I-269 from State Route 302 to State Route 305 to traffic.

Yay...?
Edit: oh it’s past 22. I don’t like that cloverleaf - clover leaves are known for accidents.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

jamierazorback

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 30, 2017, 02:10:45 PM

Yay...?
Edit: oh it's past 22. I don't like that cloverleaf - clover leaves are known for accidents.
I 269 Will have cloverleaves at all three interstate junctions. At I55, I22, and I40. The bad news is I believe rain is in the forecast for that day.

sparker

Quote from: jamierazorback on November 30, 2017, 03:10:57 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 30, 2017, 02:10:45 PM

Yay...?
Edit: oh it's past 22. I don't like that cloverleaf - clover leaves are known for accidents.
I 269 Will have cloverleaves at all three interstate junctions. At I55, I22, and I40. The bad news is I believe rain is in the forecast for that day.

At least the cloverleaf with I-22 will have full C/D lanes; that should somewhat mitigate major safety issues for the time being.

silverback1065

I think the usefulness of this road is dubious at best.  especially in mississippi

wriddle082

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 30, 2017, 06:11:34 PM
I think the usefulness of this road is dubious at best.  especially in mississippi

It will allow Tunica-bound casino traffic coming from Nashville and points east to bypass pretty much all of Memphis.  Despite TDOT's best efforts in recent years, I-240 is a slog and has a pretty high accident rate.

jamierazorback

I-269 between I-55 and I-22 once complete will be heavily traveled. It will connect Birmingham, Atlanta, the southeast US with the midwest and mid America. I'm sure I-269 between I-22 and I-40 wont see as much traffic. Yet there could be a lot of industrial traffic coming into Memphis that goes that route and connects with SR 385

sparker

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 30, 2017, 07:36:20 PM

It will allow Tunica-bound casino traffic coming from Nashville and points east to bypass pretty much all of Memphis.  Despite TDOT's best efforts in recent years, I-240 is a slog and has a pretty high accident rate.
Quote from: jamierazorback on December 01, 2017, 12:34:54 AM
I-269 between I-55 and I-22 once complete will be heavily traveled. It will connect Birmingham, Atlanta, the southeast US with the midwest and mid America. I'm sure I-269 between I-22 and I-40 wont see as much traffic. Yet there could be a lot of industrial traffic coming into Memphis that goes that route and connects with SR 385

I-240 is one of those "original" bypasses that has been absorbed or inundated by the suburban areas of the metro region it serves; I-269, when fully connected to its parent and fully signed, will in fact be the de facto Memphis bypass route -- in fact, it will, if only partially, serve as such once completed west to I-55/69 in MS.  For the time being, the "northern tier" of the bypass solely signed as TN 385 won't fulfill much of its bypass role but simply be a local connection until such time as I-69 finally extends along or parallel to US 51.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.