News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Boston roadmeet?

Started by noelbotevera, October 20, 2016, 09:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

I decided to scrutinize this board if there was any interest in meets for the Boston area. I'm just wondering if meets are planned this year since I have a trip in the works to head up to Boston, because of family (long story short, my brother who is in his senior year of high school is applying for universities, and MIT is his first choice). I haven't found anything that mentions this, but it was a quick and dirty look. As far as I know, nothing has been planned.

If push comes to shove, I have some ideas of the meet:
-The black button copy "RIGHT TURN AHEAD" sign
-Remnants of US 1 going through Boston instead of I-93
-I-95 stub in Lynn
-"REVERSE THE CURSE" (not sure if it exists anymore)
-The "C1 C9" signs, haven't heard any recent news of it still up
-MDC idiotic signs

I'll let the locals here decide, but those are my 2 cents.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 20, 2016, 09:40:45 PM

Wait, this phrase does not just refer to the Red Sox between 1918 and 2004?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Right Turn Ahead - Still there, to my knowledge
Remnants of US 1 - Drying up. Bob Malme would be the best source as to what's left.
I-95 in Lynn - A lot less there than there used to be. Still worth the trip, especially for the long grown-over segment northeast of the circle.
REVERSE THE CURSE - dead, dude. Long dead.
C1/C9... I think that one is actually still there, but the blue signs by the Commons are gone.
MDC signs: Always there, always idiotic.

Memorial Drive has a signal showing red ball and green arrow simultaneously - and green ball at the same time on the next signal... first light west of Mass Ave bridge.
Longfellow Bridge remains under perpetual construction and is worth a visit.
Storrow Drive is worth a drive, the last old-school freeway in the city.
There are trails along the Charles River under the Zake and the US 1/I-93 interchange, perfect for the meet photo.

Restaurants: Several could be recommended in Cambridge. I like the Central Square area, parking isn't too hard to find but you'll have to walk 2-4 blocks. Question is whether a restaurant there is willing to seat a reasonably sized party.

MIT: You want the insider's tour?

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2016, 11:40:55 PM
MIT: You want the insider's tour?
I thought they banned you for being too smart for your own good :awesomeface:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

dgolub

I'm definitely game for a Boston meet.  I haven't been up in that direction in too long, and I've always found it kind of weird how we've never had any meets in Massachusetts in the time that I've been coming.

Also, I believe that the Mass Pike is going AET, so that's a reason to head up that way, too.

Pete from Boston

If you decide to check out the Longfellow, here is a very belabored animation of the work going on there.

http://youtu.be/VQsyPClwVj8

If it feels like the animation takes a really long time, it's just to give you a real sense of how the actual project feels as well.

vdeane

I like the idea of a Boston meet; it's just a couple hours away, so it's an easy daytrip, and there are some interstates in MA that I could clinch on the way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tckma

I haven't lived in Massachusetts since early 2008, but I'm pretty sure the "REVERSE THE CURSE" sign on Storrow Drive was replaced with the original "REVERSE CURVE" (what does that even MEAN?) shortly after the Sox won the Series in '04.

I lived in MA from mid '00 to early '08 including the year I went to grad school in Boston proper.  It would be nice to go back; I miss it.  Also, I was a roadgeek back then but I was not part of this forum and didn't have many ways to connect with other roadgeeks.

bob7374

Quote from: tckma on October 21, 2016, 01:14:04 PM

I haven't lived in Massachusetts since early 2008, but I'm pretty sure the "REVERSE THE CURSE" sign on Storrow Drive was replaced with the original "REVERSE CURVE" (what does that even MEAN?) shortly after the Sox won the Series in '04.
Yes, then Gov. Romney held a public event shortly after the 2004 World Series where the original sign was officially taken down and replaced.

There are a lot of roadgeek related sites in the area for a meet, though, probably much of it discussed here (Zakim Bridge and surrounding parks, old signage,  remnants of old US 1, etc.) would probably best be seen on foot, instead of by car. On street parking in the city is hard to come by, and off street is rather expensive plus the challenges of driving the local road system for the unfamiliar. There are small construction projects going on in the surrounding areas, plus the Longfellow Bridge and AET related toll plaza demolitions that will be going on through next year that could be checked on. A time in the spring, between Patriot's Day and Memorial Day, might be the best time for it.

hbelkins

I'm pretty sure there's been a Boston-area meet sometime in the past, although I'm not certain and it was back during a time when I basically only attended meets that were day trips. I'd be up to attending a Boston meet. All I need to clinch Massachusetts' interstates are the portions of I-90 and I-95 inside I-495, plus most of I-195.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

noelbotevera

I lived in MA from mid '00 to early '08 including the year I went to grad school in Boston proper.  It would be nice to go back; I miss it.  Also, I was a roadgeek back then but I was not part of this forum and didn't have many ways to connect with other roadgeeks.
Reverse curve is basically like an S curve. You curve around in one direction, then in the other.

My ideas is to do the driving sections such as the Zakim Bridge and Lynn stub, then later on park the cars and use the T into the city, then walk around for the rest of the meet. The only problem with this is timing, because of traffic issues. Maybe turn this into a 2 day meet?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

tckma

Quote from: hbelkins on October 21, 2016, 04:03:58 PM
All I need to clinch Massachusetts' interstates are the portions of I-90 and I-95 inside I-495, plus most of I-195.

Despite living in MA for 8 years, I still need I-195 from MA-140 to MA-25/I-495, a very small portion of I-91 (a single exit span between MA-116 and MA-2), all of I-391, and a small bit of I-291 from the Turnpike down to US-20.

Let's just say I never got to the Cape or to Western Mass very much.

dgolub

Quote from: tckma on October 21, 2016, 04:39:27 PM
All I need to clinch Massachusetts' interstates are the portions of I-90 and I-95 inside I-495, plus most of I-195.

Despite living in MA for 8 years, I still need I-195 from MA-140 to MA-25/I-495, a very small portion of I-91 (a single exit span between MA-116 and MA-2), all of I-391, and a small bit of I-291 from the Turnpike down to US-20.

I feel like we should get together and do a clinchathon after the meet.

Dougtone

I actually put together a road meet in Boston in 2005. If I had known then what I know now, I'd probably put in more written preparation for the meet, as it isn't the easiest place to drive around. I'm not volunteering to run a future Boston meet, but I've mulled the idea of hosting other meets near Boston over the years.

cl94

If someone wants to do a BAAAAAHSTON meet, I'd be game. A clinchathon would be great as well. I have nada south/southeast of Boston other than I-95.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

I have a lot of knowledge of routing and parking locations to maximize efficiency.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: tckma on October 21, 2016, 04:39:27 PM

I never considered it, but I guess I've been on every mile of Interstate in Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts.  Multiple times, in fact.  I guess the last part for me in Mass was 195 east of Fairhaven, only a couple of years ago. 

I don't feel any different now. 

dgolub

Quote from: Dougtone on October 21, 2016, 08:32:43 PM
I actually put together a road meet in Boston in 2005. If I had known then what I know now, I'd probably put in more written preparation for the meet, as it isn't the easiest place to drive around. I'm not volunteering to run a future Boston meet, but I've mulled the idea of hosting other meets near Boston over the years.

Yeah, I was still in high school back then, so it was before my time coming to meets.

Pete from Boston

It was "Reverse Curve" for many years.  Some folks in the early 2000s modified it, and continued to do so (some publicly declaring that they would continue to do so every time it was "cleaned") until 2004. 

Kind of silly, since there was no curse, just 86 years of failure.

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 22, 2016, 01:01:25 PM

It was "Reverse Curve" for many years.  Some folks in the early 2000s modified it, and continued to do so (some publicly declaring that they would continue to do so every time it was "cleaned") until 2004. 

Bucky Dent begs to differ.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on October 22, 2016, 10:35:52 PM
Bucky Fucking Dent begs to differ.

FTFY. We're talking about Boston, have to use his local nickname.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on October 22, 2016, 10:44:06 PM

FTFY. We're talking about Boston, have to use his local nickname.
I'm in northern NJ. We like him.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 22, 2016, 01:01:25 PM

I would think that Mr. Dent of all people would not want to chalk that one up to some mystical mumbo-jumbo rather than a bona fide win.

PHLBOS

Given that Boston's my old stomping grounds; I'm up for this met.

Quote from: tckma on October 21, 2016, 01:14:04 PMI haven't lived in Massachusetts since early 2008, but I'm pretty sure the "REVERSE THE CURSE" sign on Storrow Drive was replaced with the original "REVERSE CURVE" (what does that even MEAN?) shortly after the Sox won the Series in '04.
Simply put, a reverse curve is the latter part of an S curve.

Nonetheless, there is now no such sign present anymore.  April 2016 GSV of where the old structure-mounted REVERSE CURVE sign once stood; note the mounting brackets on the left
GPS does NOT equal GOD

codyg1985

If this meet is happening, then what is the timeframe?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.