News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Future Interstate 587 (Zebulon-Greenville)

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, November 15, 2016, 07:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: LM117 on April 17, 2017, 03:16:13 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on April 17, 2017, 09:58:40 AM
Huh, so NCDOT plans on adding two-more double-3di concurrencies to the system (785/840 and 587/795) in addition to Ohio's 271/480 concurrency.

Yep. It's the only way I-785 and I-795 can connect with their parents.

I suppose for 785 they could upgrade things in Greensboro and route 785 directly down 29 and Business 85.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LM117

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 17, 2017, 09:46:16 PM
Quote from: LM117 on April 17, 2017, 03:16:13 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on April 17, 2017, 09:58:40 AM
Huh, so NCDOT plans on adding two-more double-3di concurrencies to the system (785/840 and 587/795) in addition to Ohio's 271/480 concurrency.

Yep. It's the only way I-785 and I-795 can connect with their parents.

I suppose for 785 they could upgrade things in Greensboro and route 785 directly down 29 and Business 85.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that was the original plan in the 1990's (I-85 was concurrent with I-40 then) but that changed when upgrading US-29 through Greensboro to interstate standards was deemed not feasible due to the expense and impact of such an upgrade. So, the decision was made to throw I-785 onto the Greensboro Urban Loop instead.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

epzik8

None of you would happen to be responsible for this, would you?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Henry

Quote from: epzik8 on April 21, 2017, 01:01:08 AM

It wasn't me! LOL
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LM117

Quote from: epzik8 on April 21, 2017, 01:01:08 AM

Nah, it's fake news.

ARMOURERERIC

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sparker

Jordanes

I was inside the Greenville AAA yesterday and overheard a conversation between an AAA employee and a woman who visited looking for a TripTik. The employee said that "you need to take Interstate 587/US 264..." and the women interrupted by saying "why did they change the number?" The employee responded "I don't know and I don't understand why they did...it has been 264 for as long as I remember".
Clinched 2di:
4, 5, 12, 16, 22, 24, 26, 35, 39, 40, 44, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70, 72, 73, 74 (both), 75, 76 (both), 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84 (both), 85, 86 (both), 87, 88 (both), 89, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99

Almost clinched (less than 100 miles):
20, 30, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 71, 77, 80, 90, 91

sparker

Quote from: Jordanes on May 12, 2017, 09:12:56 PM
I was inside the Greenville AAA yesterday and overheard a conversation between an AAA employee and a woman who visited looking for a TripTik. The employee said that "you need to take Interstate 587/US 264..." and the women interrupted by saying "why did they change the number?" The employee responded "I don't know and I don't understand why they did...it has been 264 for as long as I remember".

Question:  since 587 has yet to be actually posted (apparently there's quite a few "future" roadside signs), WTF is an AAA employee doing referring to the route?  It shouldn't be on AAA maps at this point; maybe it's showing up on Google and this person's just using that as reference (?!?!?).  Doubtful that the AAA person is a Greensboro enthusiast who's jumping the gun a bit for the sake of pride! 

To the AAA customer: 264's still there; it's probably not going to go away for some time.  Drive it, use it, abuse it, it'll be around.  The AAA person's just being a bit premature; the new Interstate number is (for the time being) an add-on, not a replacement. 

LM117

Quote from: sparker on May 12, 2017, 10:27:21 PM
Quote from: Jordanes on May 12, 2017, 09:12:56 PM

Question:  since 587 has yet to be actually posted (apparently there's quite a few "future" roadside signs), WTF is an AAA employee doing referring to the route?  It shouldn't be on AAA maps at this point; maybe it's showing up on Google and this person's just using that as reference (?!?!?).  Doubtful that the AAA person is a Greensboro enthusiast who's jumping the gun a bit for the sake of pride!

That person likely looked at Google Maps, since Google has been labeling US-264 as I-587 for nearly a month now. It probably didn't occur to the employee the possibility that Google could've (and did) jump the gun with I-587. Hell, I-587 is labeled on US-264's northern bypass of Greenville between Exit 73 and Exit 80 (US-13) and that's not even part of Future I-587's corridor!

But even at that, it shouldn't take much effort for most locals (especially someone who works for AAA of all places :pan:) in Greenville to venture onto US-264 to verify whether or not I-587 shields have been posted. The first reassurance sign past Exit 73 heading East should be all it takes, if not the overhead BGS at that interchange.

The Ghostbuster

The AAA employee probably should have said "future Interstate 587," or just called it US 264.

Mapmikey

Quote from: LM117 on November 16, 2016, 10:51:18 AM
Quote from: compdude787 on November 16, 2016, 02:08:53 AMThe real question is: Why the heck does NC need so many interstates? I guess they want every freeway to be an interstate; if that's so, I can completely understand.

Not every freeway in NC is planned to become an interstate. There are plenty of freeways in the state without I-shields.

NCDOT usually doesn't seek an interstate designation unless there is strong support for it at the local level. Greenville & Pitt County have been practically screaming for US-264's upgrade since 2012. They didn't get anywhere then because they had virtually no support from the surrounding counties, who were more focused on upgrading US-70 to a freeway between I-40 near Garner and Morehead City, though an interstate designation for US-70 was not planned at the time. Most of the counties along the US-70 corridor also carried a lot of political weight in the state legislature.

So, Greenville mayor Allen Thomas met with Kinston mayor BJ Murphy in early 2013 and came up with the "Quad East" interstate(s) idea. It was a "I scratch your back, you scratch my back" kinda deal. Fast forward to 2016 and I-42, I-87, and now I-587 are born. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

http://wnct.com/2016/08/09/how-quad-east-could-connect-four-of-eastern-carolinas-metro-areas/

There's also another possible future interstate in the works, which would make up the last part of the Quad East interstate system. It was originally planned to run from US-70/Future I-42 in Kinston to Greenville using the CF Harvey Parkway and NC-11, but that has now been expanded to include a connection to US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel by following US-13 north of Greenville, which would give Greenville and the Global TransPark in Kinston interstate access to the Hampton Roads metro in Virginia. The Eastern North Carolina Gateway Act was introduced in Congress in September that would make it federal law if passed. I expect they'll re-introduce the bill next year. If it passes, it'll probably be attached to a much larger transportation bill, similar to how I-42, I-87 and I-795's extension got tacked onto the FAST Act.

https://www.tillis.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?id=2DBB05EF-83DE-4581-AF64-392AC9547DB9

NC 11 upgrade to interstate from future NC 148 and SW Greenville Bypass is on the 2018 STIP...

construction to start 2027...

LM117

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 29, 2017, 04:25:09 PMNC 11 upgrade to interstate from future NC 148 and SW Greenville Bypass is on the 2018 STIP...

construction to start 2027...

Looks like Kinston and Greenville are getting their wish. That leaves upgrading the remainder of NC-148, US-264 between Exit 73 and US-13, and US-13 between US-264 and US-64. The NC-148 extension will be built to interstate standards, as will the Greenville SW Bypass.

As far as I know, the idea is still alive and well among Kinston and Greenville officials, but there hasn't been much talk about it lately, nor has there been mention of having the Eastern NC Gateway Act re-introduced in Congress. Half of the Gateway Act has been rendered useless anyway since US-264 was included and has already become Future I-587 without the bill's passage. The only part of the bill that would have any effect is the NC-11/US-13 "Gateway Corridor".

LM117

I forgot to mention earlier, but other than the section that is concurrent with I-795 in Wilson (listed as Interstate maintenance), none of US-264 was included in NCDOT's final 2018-2027 STIP.

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on August 18, 2017, 02:06:31 PM
I forgot to mention earlier, but other than the section that is concurrent with I-795 in Wilson (listed as Interstate maintenance), none of US-264 was included in NCDOT's final 2018-2027 STIP.

Not particularly surprising; although not fully Interstate standard, it's a functioning freeway, so NCDOT isn't prioritizing it right now just so shields can be erected in the near term.  But they've been known to advance project schedules from time to time, so what's in the STIP may not be the final word re scheduled upgrades. 

LM117

Quote from: sparker on August 18, 2017, 04:48:32 PM
Quote from: LM117 on August 18, 2017, 02:06:31 PM

Not particularly surprising; although not fully Interstate standard, it's a functioning freeway, so NCDOT isn't prioritizing it right now just so shields can be erected in the near term.

I wasn't surprised, either. Other than the lack of wide shoulders outside of Wilson County, there really aren't any safety issues on US-264 to speak of, which makes it very difficult for US-264 to score well against other nearby major corridors such as US-70 and US-117, which have a lot of safety issues and carries more traffic.

I think US-264 will score better once the worst parts of US-70 and US-117 have been taken care of.

The Ghostbuster

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Google Maps has removed the 587 marker from the US 264 freeway. Interstate 87 is still marked along US 64 from Interstate 440 to Interstate 95.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 21, 2017, 03:41:20 PM
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Google Maps has removed the 587 marker from the US 264 freeway. Interstate 87 is still marked along US 64 from Interstate 440 to Interstate 95.

However, just spotted that somebody added it to OSM (I-587 that is).  :banghead:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/49019040

Roadsguy

I fixed it. They also showed it going around the Greenville Bypass (which it doesn't), and there were neither fut_ref tags nor a relation for the future route.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LM117

A contract was awarded for repaving US-264 in Greene and Pitt counties. The project includes shoulder widening, which will bring this stretch up to interstate standards, leaving only the stretch between Sims and Zebulon to contend with. That stretch will need increased bridge clearances in addition to wider shoulders.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-05-30-pavement-rehab-greene-pitt-counties.aspx

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on May 30, 2019, 10:10:06 AM
A contract was awarded for repaving US-264 in Greene and Pitt counties. The project includes shoulder widening, which will bring this stretch up to interstate standards, leaving only the stretch between Sims and Zebulon to contend with. That stretch will need increased bridge clearances in addition to wider shoulders.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-05-30-pavement-rehab-greene-pitt-counties.aspx
This project could be big for Greenville. Once that stretch is completed, US-264 will meet full interstate standards between I-95 and Greenville, and could be getting some I-587 shields as soon as next year as it will link to another interstate (I-95 and I-795).

They'll finally get that blue-and-red shield, and could bring big opportunities for Greenville now having a "direct link to I-95" (granted, it's always been there via the US-264 freeway, but now they'll be able to say they have I-587 linking directly to I-95, and eventually to Raleigh)

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 31, 2019, 04:55:10 PM

This project could be big for Greenville. Once that stretch is completed, US-264 will meet full interstate standards between I-95 and Greenville, and could be getting some I-587 shields as soon as next year as it will link to another interstate (I-95 and I-795).

Would FHWA even allow I-587 to be signed even though it wouldn't connect to it's parent yet? I know I-369 is signed in Texarkana, TX, but I figured that was allowed because it's part of a Congressionally designated HPC. Congress had nothing to do with I-587, so I don't know if it could be signed without connecting to I-87 as well. :hmmm:

Roadsguy

They'll finally get that blue-and-red shield, and could bring big opportunities for Greenville now having a "direct link to I-95" (granted, it's always been there via the US-264 freeway, but now they'll be able to say they have I-587 linking directly to I-95, and eventually to Raleigh)

Yes, but would AASHTO approve an orphaned Interstate route, considering that it wouldn't link to I-87 yet?

wdcrft63

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 31, 2019, 05:15:09 PM

Yes, but would AASHTO approve an orphaned Interstate route, considering that it wouldn't link to I-87 yet?
My guess (it's only a guess, now) is that they would approve it. It's not easy to make a case against approval that appeals to anyone except road nerds like us.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.