News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Lebanon, New Hampshire Road Meet - September 21, 2013

Started by Dougtone, August 03, 2013, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

I'll be there.

Right now, I'm trying to see if I can grab U.S. 7 from the border to Rutland, then take U.S. 4 across Vermont without waking up too early. I'm also looking at shortcuts in case I run late or sleep in. Anyway, I will post a link through which you will be able to track me, provided I have cellphone reception.

The trip back home will be on U.S. 5.

hbelkins

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 04, 2013, 01:46:05 PM
I'll be there.

Right now, I'm trying to see if I can grab U.S. 7 from the border to Rutland, then take U.S. 4 across Vermont without waking up too early. I'm also looking at shortcuts in case I run late or sleep in. Anyway, I will post a link through which you will be able to track me, provided I have cellphone reception.

The trip back home will be on U.S. 5.

I drove across 4 the opposite direction (WRJ to Rutland) a couple of years ago and it was a very easy drive.

Carl, what app will you be using to allow others to track you?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: hbelkins on September 04, 2013, 02:33:57 PMCarl, what app will you be using to allow others to track you?
Waze.

I'll be doing this mostly because I've been known to arrive a little late at the past few meets, and I have no idea exactly how much time my drive is going to take. :)

hbelkins

I didn't know Waze would do that. I've downloaded a free iOS app called Glympse that will track you for up to four hours and will post to your personal Facebook site (but not a Page), as well as tweet or email. I'll have to test that feature in Waze.

Janko Dialnice

I am definitely in for this meet. I will be heading from my place in Merrimack, NH by the most direct route (Everett Turnpike to I-93 to I-89). Visiting the Montréal suburbs for a few days afterwards, so I will be leaving via I-91.
I would have liked to follow Carl's lead and try US 5, but I won't have the time for that. According to Google Maps, the route I have selected to get to my hotel will take 4 hours, border crossing delays and bathroom/food/shopping breaks notwithstanding. I will be taking I-91 to A-55 to A-20 to my hotel.

jpi

I will be staying at Rutland, VT (Rodeway Inn) so that is good to know about US 4 since it looks like I may get a complete clinch of it.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Only question in my mind is whether I do a lite trip and carpool, or head up and explore the Northeast Kingdom the following day.

jpi

I will have to cut out between 3 and 4pm to head back to Harrisburg that night then get up early to do the diecast toy show in Hershey the next day.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

The thing with 4 is that, except for the hill climb between Rutland and Killington and the fairly-flat/fairly-straight stretch in Killington proper, it's easy to get stuck behind someone going slow.  Especially that time of the year when there's a fair chance of fall colors (and the resultant tourists) turning.  During busy tourist times, it can also get congested in both Woodstock and the Quechee Gorge area.

5 is usually pretty empty, though the all-way stops in St. Johnsbury (2 of them) and Lyndonville can be slow spots during busy times...usually during the day during the week, but also occasionally on Saturdays in St. J, especially if the farmers market is going on.

For those who haven't made hotel reservations yet, you might also want to consider looking at either Springfield, VT or St. J.  Both are a straight shot on I-91 to White River Jct and I-89.

Dougtone

Brattleboro could be another lodging option for people, especially those who are coming from points south.

As for me, I could very easily make the Lebanon meet as a day trip, as it is about a 3 hour drive from Albany.  I have thought about making it an overnight trip and staying in Brattleboro as I have been thinking about hiking up Mount Monadnock (in southwestern NH) the day after the meet.

oscar

Count me as a "probable" at this point, to be nailed down next week by the Friday 9/13 RSVP deadline.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Compulov

I'm a maybe.... trying to convince my fiancee to come with. I think she'd actually be interested in seeing what TomTom does, plus she seemed interested in visiting some family in Albany on Sunday (and it's only a few hours from Lebanon, NH). Hopefully I'll have a final decision by tonight.

Dougtone

Quote from: Compulov on September 06, 2013, 12:49:44 PM
I'm a maybe.... trying to convince my fiancee to come with. I think she'd actually be interested in seeing what TomTom does, plus she seemed interested in visiting some family in Albany on Sunday (and it's only a few hours from Lebanon, NH). Hopefully I'll have a final decision by tonight.

It's about three hours between Lebanon and the Albany area, plus it's an easy enough drive either by taking US 4 across into New York or taking VT 9 or VT 11 across (VT 11 seems to be a bit faster, but if you're traveling by night, US 4 may make more sense).

froggie

QuoteIt's about three hours between Lebanon and the Albany area, plus it's an easy enough drive either by taking US 4 across into New York or taking VT 9 or VT 11 across (VT 11 seems to be a bit faster, but if you're traveling by night, US 4 may make more sense).

Even at night, I'd take 11.  Only reason to take 4 would be to get gas/food in Rutland, but gas is typically cheaper in Springfield or West Lebanon anyway.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: froggie on September 05, 2013, 01:46:15 AM
The thing with 4 is that, except for the hill climb between Rutland and Killington and the fairly-flat/fairly-straight stretch in Killington proper, it's easy to get stuck behind someone going slow.  Especially that time of the year when there's a fair chance of fall colors (and the resultant tourists) turning.  During busy tourist times, it can also get congested in both Woodstock and the Quechee Gorge area.

5 is usually pretty empty, though the all-way stops in St. Johnsbury (2 of them) and Lyndonville can be slow spots during busy times...usually during the day during the week, but also occasionally on Saturdays in St. J, especially if the farmers market is going on.

For those who haven't made hotel reservations yet, you might also want to consider looking at either Springfield, VT or St. J.  Both are a straight shot on I-91 to White River Jct and I-89.

I think folks surprised at room rates must not realize this time is the beginning of leaf-peeping season.  There's a whole lot of draw around that time.

Also, if 4 isn't congested, heed the speed limits carefully.  They go up and down unpredictably, and (particularly in Woodstock) cops love to nail you for trying to zoom across their otherwise peaceful little town on your way to and from other places.  4 is not a quick through route, but from around Lebanon to Rutland, it's pretty much *the* through route.

Dougtone

True about the leaf peepers.  It would be wise to shop around for hotel rates that suit your budget and also to nail down a room reservation sooner rather than later if need be.  Currently, I am looking to head up that Saturday morning from Albany for the meet, but I will plan to stay in Brattleboro on Saturday night unless I decide to make it a day trip.

vdeane

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 07, 2013, 09:00:26 AM
4 is not a quick through route, but from around Lebanon to Rutland, it's pretty much *the* through route.
I'm pretty sure Vermont has no quick through routes aside from the interstates.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Won't Sept. 21 be too early, and Nov. 9 too late, for leaf-peepers?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: hbelkins on September 07, 2013, 08:10:45 PM
Won't Sept. 21 be too early, and Nov. 9 too late, for leaf-peepers?

November 9 is too late.  September 21 depends on the year, but it all happens earlier up there:

http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/fallfoliage/index_large.html

hbelkins

Third week of October is typically peak for here. I figured first week of October would be about right for New England.

froggie

QuoteI'm pretty sure Vermont has no quick through routes aside from the interstates.

There are a few besides the Interstates.

QuoteThird week of October is typically peak for here. I figured first week of October would be about right for New England.

As a general rule, northern New England peaks in late September.

adamjackson

Yep, 9/13 is the deadline for RSVPs thanks everyone.

The drive from here to Albany is a lot of fun but you're often on single lane areas where a large RV can keep you pretty frustrated. It's a shame there's no interstates that cross NY, VT, NH and ME. It would make things a lot easier up here.

Interestingly enough, no signs of leaves changing yet. This time last year we had a few trees spotting nicely up in Greensboro VT. I was there yesterday and still green as can be. I'm guessing an October 1st peak this year.
I'm a project manager for North America and other regions for TomTom!

Tell us about map changes you observe on Map Share Reporter
http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Dr Frankenstein

Odd. Québec's Eastern Townships region, which is essentially the same mountains and climate as in Vermont and New Hampshire, has already started changing colours.

adamjackson

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 11, 2013, 09:51:59 AM
Odd. Québec's Eastern Townships region, which is essentially the same mountains and climate as in Vermont and New Hampshire, has already started changing colours.

Yes, it's weird because we had 2 days last week where there was frost at night, wind chill down to freezing temps. Greensboro is about 30 or so minutes south of Canadian border, fairly high elevation so I've always enjoyed going up there to buy beer 1st week of September and seeing some trees changing. Was surprised to not see any.

I'm sure we'll have something worth staring at in 2-3 weeks.
I'm a project manager for North America and other regions for TomTom!

Tell us about map changes you observe on Map Share Reporter
http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

froggie

QuoteInterestingly enough, no signs of leaves changing yet.  This time last year we had a few trees spotting nicely up in Greensboro VT.

Coincidentally where I'll be living once the Navy spits me out.  And strange you didn't see any...my other half says there are definitely trees starting to turn.

QuoteGreensboro is about 30 or so minutes south of Canadian border, fairly high elevation so I've always enjoyed going up there to buy beer 1st week of September and seeing some trees changing.

Hill Farmstead, by chance?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.