News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2014 NYC National Road Meet (June 28-29, 2014)

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 08:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: vdeane on December 27, 2013, 12:36:46 PM
Quote from: dgolub on December 26, 2013, 06:32:45 PM
There's nowhere that you have to travel on Manhattan streets, other than places inside Manhattan.  There's one scenario where it may save time to do so, which is going between Long Island and New Jersey via the Midtown Tunnel (I-495) and the Lincoln Tunnel (NJ 495).  In this case, it's just a mile or so across 34 Street.
What about clinching I-78?  Last I checked, it dumps out onto Canal St.

And not too far from the entrance to unsigned I-478.  I clinched I-478 then the east end of I-78 in 2003, with minimum exposure to Manhattan traffic.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NE2

Is 34th Street really a better crosstown route than 36th-37th? 36th is even signed as the route to I-495 east from the Lincoln Tunnel.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

Quote from: NE2 on December 27, 2013, 01:43:52 PM
Is 34th Street really a better crosstown route than 36th-37th?

No. In fact, 34th Street is the fool's route used by everyone who instinctively follows major streets over minor ones. Smart driving in Manhattan (if you don't consider that to be an oxymoron) generally involves avoiding major east-west streets, because they are inevitably more congested (partly on account of them being two-way, meaning there are left turn conflicts).

But as for the broader question of getting from Long Island to New Jersey, it's usually faster (albeit more expensive in tolls) to go via Staten Island or the GWB unless your destination in NJ is somewhere between the two. If you have to go through Manhattan, something else that also works outside of rush hour is take one of the free bridges into Manhattan, go all the way down the FDR, swing under battery park and up the west side highway, and then use the Holland Tunnel. During rush hour, you're fucked no matter what you do.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on December 26, 2013, 10:38:47 AM
QuoteThis signature may or may not contain chemicals known to the State of Alanland to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Fixed your sig line for you.
This is an insult pointed at California's Proposition 65 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_65_%281986%29 - which has polluted many businesses with such signs.  'sides, it's Alanland.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

Quote from: oscar on December 27, 2013, 12:55:07 PM
There's nowhere that you have to travel on Manhattan streets, other than places inside Manhattan.  There's one scenario where it may save time to do so, which is going between Long Island and New Jersey via the Midtown Tunnel (I-495) and the Lincoln Tunnel (NJ 495).  In this case, it's just a mile or so across 34 Street.

And not too far from the entrance to unsigned I-478.  I clinched I-478 then the east end of I-78 in 2003, with minimum exposure to Manhattan traffic.
Don't you have to get off early at the NY 9A exit?  Or is there a good way to swing over from Canal St?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: vdeane on December 28, 2013, 03:31:01 PM
Quote from: oscar on December 27, 2013, 12:55:07 PM

Don't you have to get off early at the NY 9A exit?  Or is there a good way to swing over from Canal St?

I don't remember (more than a decade later) exactly how I made my way from the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel exit to the Holland Tunnel entrance.  I did make a point of driving past Ground Zero, in keeping with that summer's subtheme of driving to/past aviation disaster sites, including Flight 93 in Pennsylvania, Flight 111 near Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, and the Arrow Air crash site near Gander, Newfoundland.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

Ah, you went the other direction.  CHM doesn't really care, but it would feel weird to me to claim to clinch I-78 without going through the circle.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on September 23, 2013, 01:05:14 PM
Quote from: Steve on September 23, 2013, 12:18:41 AM
Everyone's going to want route X and Y to be on the meet. It's a two day meet, with the expectation that you can stay in the area an extra couple of days. So if it's not on the meet... get it yerself ;)
That's the plan, I'm just really hoping I can minimize/avoid driving on Manhattan streets, since breaking traffic laws and aggressively asserting right of way are both mandatory for driving there, and I do neither.

Fair enough, although I'd personally recommend just clinching I-78 in New York from the sidewalk.  It's tiny.

SSOWorld

Oh you would.  I for one don't want to walk into the tunnel.  No sidewalk and too much exhaust.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Alps

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 29, 2013, 09:56:49 PM
Oh you would.  I for one don't want to walk into the tunnel.  No sidewalk and too much exhaust.
I think the previous poster meant, "If you took the first exit already, just go back and walk the rest." It would be awesome if the tunnel sidewalks were ever open, but they're configured for maintenance/police only, let alone security concerns.

Duke87

Quote from: Steve on December 29, 2013, 11:58:03 PM
It would be awesome if the tunnel sidewalks were ever open, but they're configured for maintenance/police only, let alone security concerns.

I remember when I was little seeing the label "PATH TUBES" on our Hagstrom NYC 5 Borough atlas and thinking that those were pedestrian tunnels. Because, y'know, it's a path! What else would a 5 year old think that meant? :-D
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 29, 2013, 09:56:49 PM
I think the previous poster meant, "If you took the first exit already, just go back and walk the rest." It would be awesome if the tunnel sidewalks were ever open, but they're configured for maintenance/police only, let alone security concerns.

I was talking about the very short expressway section of I-78 in New York, not the tunnel itself.  If you want to clinch the tunnel, then, yes, you'll certainly need some sort of vehicle.

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on December 30, 2013, 01:19:10 AM
It would be awesome if the tunnel sidewalks were ever open, but they're configured for maintenance/police only, let alone security concerns.

I remember when I was little seeing the label "PATH TUBES" on our Hagstrom NYC 5 Borough atlas and thinking that those were pedestrian tunnels. Because, y'know, it's a path! What else would a 5 year old think that meant? :-D

That's absolutely hilarious.

froggie

QuoteIs 34th Street really a better crosstown route than 36th-37th?

No. In fact, 34th Street is the fool's route used by everyone who instinctively follows major streets over minor ones. Smart driving in Manhattan (if you don't consider that to be an oxymoron) generally involves avoiding major east-west streets, because they are inevitably more congested (partly on account of them being two-way, meaning there are left turn conflicts).

Time-of-the-week may play a factor here too.  34th worked better for me than 37th late Saturday evening, though I discovered the hard way that the Lincoln Tunnel entrance via 34th (at Dyer) was blocked.  That said, it wasn't bad looping around via 10th Ave/38th St/9th Ave.

A.J. Bertin

Steve - any idea on when you might announce the date for this meet?
-A.J. from Michigan

codyg1985

I'd really love to come to this. Any date in June, preferably towards the end of June, would work best for me.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Laura

I thought he announced this would be the last weekend of June --28 and 29.

iPhone

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Laura Bianca on January 12, 2014, 11:48:31 AM
I thought he announced this would be the last weekend of June --28 and 29.

I think those are the dates he's leaning towards, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't made it official yet. If he does go with June 28-29, I think there's a decent chance I'll be able to make it. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Official announcement will come as soon as I don't have computers and things breaking on me. X(

(Edit: I can confirm June 28-29 if you want to start planning, but I want to nail down the meet locations for hotel booking in NJ vs. NY, for those who care. That may be waiting until February, though.)

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Steve on January 14, 2014, 12:55:13 AM
Official announcement will come as soon as I don't have computers and things breaking on me. X(

(Edit: I can confirm June 28-29 if you want to start planning, but I want to nail down the meet locations for hotel booking in NJ vs. NY, for those who care. That may be waiting until February, though.)

Awesome... thanks, Steve! Yes - I am definitely going to plan on attending - right now I'm going to say I have about an 80 percent chance of going.
-A.J. from Michigan

kharvey10

This will be unlikely for me - my sister in law is expecting twins around late May-early June timeframe.

jpi

Right now I am 50/50 on this. Hopefully I can make it.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Cannot commit at this time - but I'm definitely planning on attending this one - It is my intent to make this a part of a large vacation of 2 weeks - positioning the meet in the middle of the time out there.

The question I have to ask myself is - do I drive or fly?  Seeing as how I abused my car to death last year (odometer from 59k to 80k), I hesitate at using it.  Yeah it's up to 3000 miles including to-and-fro if I include some 'geeking around Long Island or New Jersey, but am considering the fact that NYC is best enjoyed via transit and hot-footing it - and driving the area (in the city and surrounding areas - Steve Correct me if I'm wrong on surrounding areas ;) ) is a roadgeek's nightmare except for early Sunday Morning due to excessive traffic on substandard infrastructure. (I will try to avoid Fort Lee :P )

I also must also consider finances.  Yes - my car loan will be paid off (in fact - that will happen today :D ), but I need to consider other obligations (house? master's degree? job change and/or relocation?).

If I do end up driving - It will give me the opportunity to pick up I-78 or I-86's future route or fill the I-80 gap (east of I-81).  If I don't and want to geek - I'll just rent a car for the days I want to drive around and use transit to get around otherwise.

---

tl:dr - marked as maybe - will await further plans. :)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

dgolub

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 16, 2014, 08:06:01 AM
Cannot commit at this time - but I'm definitely planning on attending this one - It is my intent to make this a part of a large vacation of 2 weeks - positioning the meet in the middle of the time out there.

The question I have to ask myself is - do I drive or fly?  Seeing as how I abused my car to death last year (odometer from 59k to 80k), I hesitate at using it.  Yeah it's up to 3000 miles including to-and-fro if I include some 'geeking around Long Island or New Jersey, but am considering the fact that NYC is best enjoyed via transit and hot-footing it - and driving the area (in the city and surrounding areas - Steve Correct me if I'm wrong on surrounding areas ;) ) is a roadgeek's nightmare except for early Sunday Morning due to excessive traffic on substandard infrastructure. (I will try to avoid Fort Lee :P )

I also must also consider finances.  Yes - my car loan will be paid off (in fact - that will happen today :D ), but I need to consider other obligations (house? master's degree? job change and/or relocation?).

If I do end up driving - It will give me the opportunity to pick up I-78 or I-86's future route or fill the I-80 gap (east of I-81).  If I don't and want to geek - I'll just rent a car for the days I want to drive around and use transit to get around otherwise.

---

tl:dr - marked as maybe - will await further plans. :)

New York City is best accessed by mass transit.  The subways will get you just about anywhere.  If you're looking to go out to the suburbs and roam around substantially while you're out there, you'll need a car.  The LIRR will get you to various towns on Long Island from the city, but once you're out there you'll need a car to get between places.  Also, if you want to go to some of the most notable places on Long Island, like Jones Beach, Fire Island, and Montauk Point, you'll need a car.

Roadgeek Adam

As crazy as it sounds, living so close to the city, I have to put myself as unable to attend.

I might be going on a road trip to visit colleges for M.A. programs from the 18th to the 23rd and its not in budget depending where we are living in June 2014.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.