News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2013 Brick/Wall, NJ meet

Started by Alps, May 03, 2013, 04:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

On a related note, I'm now asking you you'uns all y'all to please RSVP by June 26 so that I can let QSL know what's what! We have 9 so far on FB.

Duke87

Magic words you guys are saying: "5 AM". "11 PM".  ;-) Valerie's trip will have her doing it at noon-1 PM. Not a pleasant hour for it on the weekend.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on June 09, 2013, 10:18:16 PM
For the time being I would avoid driving any roads in The Bronx towards the GWB like the plague. With the current state of construction at the 87/95 interchange, expect to sit in traffic for an hour or more on the Cross Bronx westbound and for a good half hour at least on the Deegan northbound (or southbound, but that's not on your route). If you want to clinch the Cross Bronx, do it going east (won't be nearly as bad) and don't head back.

In that case, I'll save the I-87 clinch for another time.

Quote from: Duke87 on June 10, 2013, 07:12:30 PM
Magic words you guys are saying: "5 AM". "11 PM".  ;-) Valerie's trip will have her doing it at noon-1 PM. Not a pleasant hour for it on the weekend.
Ditching the I-87 clinch, leaving just the one eastbound trip down the Cross-Bronx, yields a projected time of 2h 11m to the toll barrier for the George Washington Bridge. http://goo.gl/maps/KkThc

Leaving at 8, I should get there around 10 assuming no delays in NJ.  I figure getting up an hour earlier is worth it to save a good chunk of the bridge toll.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

At this point, I guess I should officially confirm that I will not be in attendance.

A combination of finances, a dwindling number of vacation days, the fact that I recently traveled to the Northeast, the fact that I will be most likely be back in that general direction for a certain August wedding, my plans to go to Chattanooga and Kansas next month and other factors will preclude my attendance.

I'd hoped to get out to Suffolk and Nassau counties in New York while I was in the general area if I came, but I'll have to save that for another time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

I'll see you at a certain August wedding, HB. Right now, here's who I have (continuing updates):

15 via Facebook +3 = 18
dgolub = 19 (let's finalize coordination)
Anyone else who hasn't confirmed yet?

Baseball I'd just like a general idea - me, Duke87, Adam, PHLBOS - anyone else? Yes, pending weather.

PHLBOS

I just changed my Facebook status to 'Going'. 

As far as the ball game is concerned, while weather forecasts are subject to change between now & then; the current forecast (on http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Lakewood+NJ+USNJ0250:1:US) for the Lakewood, NJ calls for 'scattered' thunderstorms by day and showers by night for this coming Saturday.

Steve, a repeat of my question comment on FB; were you planning to purchase the game tickets in advance or we all just purchase them at the gate on game day I'm assuming that we'll be purchasing the game tickets at the facility that evening?  With the weather being iffy, it might be wise not to hold off purchasing purchase the tickets in advance.  That way we don't get stuck w/tickets for a game that may get postponed due to weather for a later date at a facility that most of us don't live anywhere near.

That said, I am interested in attending the game... weather permitting.

Food for thought.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

oscar

Count me in for the meet.  Not sure yet about the baseball game (might head home instead that evening).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jpi

Have fun guys, I will be working all weekend and getting ready for the BIG trip next month and I will see some of you guys at a certain wedding in August! ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

Looks like I might be driving blind to this one.  My printer keeps spitting out blank pages (but only for this one document, printing from Chrome or a test page is OK), so I can't take my trip notes with me.

EDIT: So apparently you can't just use an ink cartridge from 3 years ago even if it still has ink in it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on June 27, 2013, 07:42:35 PM
Looks like I might be driving blind to this one.  My printer keeps spitting out blank pages (but only for this one document, printing from Chrome or a test page is OK), so I can't take my trip notes with me.

Take a piece of paper. Take a pen. Scribble notes by hand.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Janko Dialnice

To all of you who are attending this meet, I won't be able to attend, but I will be with you in spirit. Drive safely, have a good time, and I look forward to seeing the photos and commentary. :)

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

I'll hopefully get a couple of photos up tomorrow. There were 20 of us at lunch, and the 18 who stayed for the meet had a great time, even though it rained out just a little bit of our NJ 18 stub exploration. 9 of us stayed for a quick but fun BlueClaws game and some more conversation (including interesting tidbits about DC roads) and then parted ways in all directions.

dgolub

Thanks to everyone for a great first road meet, and thanks to Steve for organizing!  I've got a whole batch of photos from yesterday that I'll be uploading to my site over the next month or so.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: vdeane on June 27, 2013, 07:42:35 PM

EDIT: So apparently you can't just use an ink cartridge from 3 years ago even if it still has ink in it.

I drove blind the whole way, too. My phone's charger had trouble working properly, and I didn't get to change my SIM card to my US one until I actually arrived at the hotel, for lack of a paperclip or similar device.

Down: NY 22 -> US 11 -> Northway -> 7/787/90 -> Thruway Berkshire -> Taconic Pkwy -> Saw Mill River Pkwy -> Henry Hudson Pkwy -> West St -> I-78 -> NJTP -> NJ 33.
Up: NJTP (having already done significant parts of 1, 9 and 130 during the weekend) -> Palisades Pkwy -> 6/202 -> Bear Mtn Pkwy -> Taconic -> (trip down reversed)

oscar

While I didn't take a photo of our entire, rather large, meet group (someone else did, but I haven't seen that photo), I did get an impromptu shot of three of the four women in attendance, huddled under an umbrella during a brief shower at the NJ 18/138 interchange:

From left to right:  Laura Bianca (Maryland), Valerie Deane (New York), Jessica Labrie (Ontario).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

dgolub

Photos are up on GNYR.  Enjoy!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.