News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Posting long URLs

Started by empirestate, March 09, 2019, 01:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 09, 2019, 02:05:04 PM
And please, for the love of god, don't use third-party link shorteners like bit.ly. Generally you people are good, and it can be assumed that those links on this forum aren't redirects to malicious websites, but they certainly can be elsewhere. Just as a good policy, don't use them or click on them at all.

I'm not worried about them on here unless I see "Posts: 1" under their handle.  I would doubt anyone here would intentionally try to screw the rest of us with an evil link.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2019, 01:19:19 PM
And please, for the love of god, don't use third-party link shorteners like bit.ly. Generally you people are good, and it can be assumed that those links on this forum aren't redirects to malicious websites, but they certainly can be elsewhere. Just as a good policy, don't use them or click on them at all.

I'm not worried about them on here unless I see "Posts: 1" under their handle.  I would doubt anyone here would intentionally try to screw the rest of us with an evil link.

That's what I've been thinking. I can understand being wary outside of this website, but here, it's just a way (well, my way) of keeping posts cleaner and shorter.

empirestate

Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2019, 01:06:48 PM
Quote from: empirestate on March 15, 2019, 12:53:44 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 14, 2019, 02:48:13 PM
I don't mind long links as long as they're operable.

Neither do I; that's why I brought it up (because they're not operable).
*shrug*

I've never had a problem clicking on one and getting somewhere.

However, I have; the OP explains how. So, the issue does exist, regardless of whether every individual user has encountered it.

hotdogPi

Sometimes, stuff after the question mark in the URL is unnecessary. Not always, though.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 10, 2019, 12:49:59 AM
I agree. Better to be safe than sorry. There are evil, albeit knowledgeable and clever, people (if only they could use their intelligence for good - if they did, the world would be a much, much better place) out there who will try anything to steal something from you or act malicious in any other way. A preview feature is definitely a good safety net, but it is still best to stray away from sketchy, risky, and unprotected endeavors whenever possible, so long as it is not absolutely necessary.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2019, 01:43:22 PM

That's what I've been thinking. I can understand being wary outside of this website, but here, it's just a way (well, my way) of keeping posts cleaner and shorter.

To clarify my original post regarding this, I am definitely just referring to when browsing the internet outside of this forum. I concur that I don't think anyone on here would try to do that to us. But away from here, wariness can definitely be very reasonable.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jakeroot

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 18, 2019, 02:50:16 PM

To clarify my original post regarding this, I am definitely just referring to when browsing the internet outside of this forum. I concur that I don't think anyone on here would try to do that to us. But away from here, wariness can definitely be very reasonable.

Well, it wasn't just you. The first reply was instructing people to A) never use third-party link shorteners, nor B) click on any third-party link shorteners. Which is fine advice on websites you've never been to, but is needlessly vigilant here.

empirestate

Another easy fix, if link shortening is burdensome, is to simply add a blank space after the long URL–this way, it won't get hidden behind the scroll bar that appears.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 18, 2019, 02:50:16 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 10, 2019, 12:49:59 AM
I agree. Better to be safe than sorry. There are evil, albeit knowledgeable and clever, people (if only they could use their intelligence for good - if they did, the world would be a much, much better place) out there who will try anything to steal something from you or act malicious in any other way. A preview feature is definitely a good safety net, but it is still best to stray away from sketchy, risky, and unprotected endeavors whenever possible, so long as it is not absolutely necessary.

If you're concerned about where the link goes, there's a handy website for that too. https://wheregoes.com/

jakeroot

^^
Thank you for bringing that up. I was looking for a website that verified shortlinks, but couldn't find one.

I'll be putting this in my signature.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.