News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Businesses with secret hours of operation

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 26, 2022, 12:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

This is the case with In'n'Out Burger opening secretly at 10 AM instead of the advertised 10:30 AM.  Les Schwab Tire allows you to check in at 7:30 AM at some locations unadvertised despite their garage bays opening at 8 AM. 

hotdogPi

The place I go to play Magic: the Gathering (they advertise themselves as a computer repair shop) keeps changing their official hours, but currently, they say they close at 7 on Fridays. It used to be 5 PM. As anyone familiar with Magic knows, this cannot be the case. Friday Night Magic runs past that.

They also claim a closing time of 3 PM on Saturdays; the actual closing time is typically half an hour to an hour and a half later, but it depends on how long the games last.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on July 26, 2022, 12:45:10 PM
The place I go to play Magic: the Gathering (they advertise themselves as a computer repair shop) keeps changing their official hours, but currently, they say they close at 7 on Fridays. It used to be 5 PM. As anyone familiar with Magic knows, this cannot be the case. Friday Night Magic runs past that.

They also claim a closing time of 3 PM on Saturdays; the actual closing time is typically half an hour to an hour and a half later, but it depends on how long the games last.

I used to be friends with some guys that ran a game store here in Norman. I'd think that closing at 3 PM on a Saturday or 5 PM on a Friday would be an awful business decision–the store that they ran usually didn't even have their first customer of the day until 3 PM. It was usually busiest from 6 PM to 9 PM or so because people would get off work and decide to spend their evening at the store. Their hours were something like 1 PM to midnight, if I remember correctly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 26, 2022, 01:16:05 PM

I used to be friends with some guys that ran a game store here in Norman. I'd think that closing at 3 PM on a Saturday or 5 PM on a Friday would be an awful business decision–the store that they ran usually didn't even have their first customer of the day until 3 PM. It was usually busiest from 6 PM to 9 PM or so because people would get off work and decide to spend their evening at the store. Their hours were something like 1 PM to midnight, if I remember correctly.

This is a place that advertises themselves as a computer repair shop. The people who play Magic here know that it doesn't follow posted hours.

They also only do Magic (and computer repair, obviously); it's not a variety of games.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

That sounds it goes beyond merely secret hours of operation–it sounds like they have an entire secret business model. :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

None specifically to share with the thread, but I've been friends with enough bartenders/bar owners that they would lock the doors at closing time and let regulars stay and hang out.

GCrites

Quote from: 1 on July 26, 2022, 01:29:26 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 26, 2022, 01:16:05 PM

This is a place that advertises themselves as a computer repair shop. The people who play Magic here know that it doesn't follow posted hours.

They also only do Magic (and computer repair, obviously); it's not a variety of games.

They probably don't want computer repair customers showing up at 1AM. I know of Magic stores that go until 3AM sometimes.

ilpt4u

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 26, 2022, 02:35:18 PM
None specifically to share with the thread, but I've been friends with enough bartenders/bar owners that they would lock the doors at closing time and let regulars stay and hang out.
Same. It is always a good time after closing

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.