News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most recognizable accent?

Started by webny99, August 01, 2022, 04:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

The obvious answer for accents here in the US would be east coast ("use yah blinkah") and southern drawl.

However, one underrated one is the Detroit area. I can pick it up instantly, example here starting at 58:00.

With zero previous knowledge of the podcast guest, I recognized the accent and sure enough, it turns out he's a Detroit native.
The most notable features include o sounding like ah (not → naht; confidence → cahn-fi-dence) and a very drawly-sounding a, almost like ay (draft → drayft; tackle → tayck-le)

skluth

I'd say Pittsburgh. It not only sounds strange to most folk (listen to Cowboys' coach Mike McCarthy sometime, especially when talking about "Stillers" football), but it also has a bunch of strange words like yinz for the plural you.

JayhawkCO

I nominate Smith Island, MD for the most recognizable accent.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on August 01, 2022, 04:26:23 PM
The obvious answer for accents here in the US would be east coast ("use yah blinkah")...

That's specific to the greater Boston area, not the entire east coast.

That said, I agree it is very distinctive.

Bruce

Valley Girl is also very recognizable.

On the other end of the spectrum, Cascadian English can be hard to distinguish for outsiders, apparently.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bruce on August 01, 2022, 05:26:56 PM

On the other end of the spectrum, Cascadian English can be hard to distinguish for outsiders, apparently.

Living in Seattle for a year (and I get that cities are different than rural areas), nothing ever stood out to me.

andrepoiy

Quebec French (and Acadian French too) in comparison to other varieties of French

Bruce

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 01, 2022, 05:33:47 PM
Quote from: Bruce on August 01, 2022, 05:26:56 PM

Living in Seattle for a year (and I get that cities are different than rural areas), nothing ever stood out to me.

Exactly, it's not all that different from "General American". We pronounce bag weirdly and have some other words adopted from Chinook Jargon, but other than that it's very subtle.

TheHighwayMan3561

When (almost always) an older person has a Minnesota accent so thick that even the rest of us go "I had no idea someone that Minnesotan could exist".

It's kind of a shame that language homogenization has mostly rendered these differences to be subtleties mostly seen in exaggerated parody form.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 01, 2022, 05:05:45 PM
The obvious answer for accents here in the US would be east coast ("use yah blinkah")...

The NYC area has a strong variant of this accent too - no, it's not identical, but certainly similar.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on August 01, 2022, 10:43:58 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 01, 2022, 05:05:45 PM

The NYC area has a strong variant of this accent too - no, it's not identical, but certainly similar.
I'd call it weaker, actually.

Worcester's the harshest of the three.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MATraveler128

I've always liked Philly's accent. Growing up traveling down that way, it's very unique. For example, water is pronounced "wooder"  sandwiches are called "hoagies"  , and you go "down the shore" .
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Rothman

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 02, 2022, 07:31:38 AM
I've always liked Philly's accent. Growing up traveling down that way, it's very unique. For example, water is pronounced "wooder"  sandwiches are called "hoagies"  , and you go "down the shore" .
Hoagies are not unique to Philly.  You can find the term all through the Northeast inconsistently.

And then you have the wacky Intermountain West slight variant with the now defunct chain Hogi Yogi.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Sandwiches; those with 2 slices of bread, are still sandwiches. Hoagies are termed subs in other parts of the country.

The Philly accent tends to make T's silent or modified, especially in the middle of the word.

MATraveler128

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 02, 2022, 08:53:01 AM

Sandwiches; those with 2 slices of bread, are still sandwiches. Hoagies are termed subs in other parts of the country.

The Philly accent tends to make T's silent or modified, especially in the middle of the word.

I meant sub sandwiches yes. And I've heard plenty of people there pronounce salty as "saldy" .
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

CapeCodder

My accent has been described as "New England meets St. Louis." Which is funny because I'm originally from New England. I moved to St. Louis in 1996 and moved back to New England in 2012.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CapeCodder on August 03, 2022, 08:16:55 AM
My accent has been described as "New England meets St. Louis." Which is funny because I'm originally from New England. I moved to St. Louis in 1996 and moved back to New England in 2012.

What exactly is a St. Louis accent? Is it like Chingy where you say "right thurr"? Or is it just when you talk with Imo's pizza in your mouth? :)

CapeCodder

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 03, 2022, 09:16:46 AM

What exactly is a St. Louis accent? Is it like Chingy where you say "right thurr"? Or is it just when you talk with Imo's pizza in your mouth? :)

It's more like "Traffic on Hi-Way Farty-Far is backed up to Kingshigh-way." "Make sure th'terlet don't back up, and before ye leave, WARSH yer hands!" It's like a mix of Chicago, generic upper Midwest, and the south engaged in menage-trois and the STL accent is the result.

SkyPesos

"Highway Farty"

ethanhopkin14

I say the Chicago accent is very distinct.  Different from general Mid-west and a lot different from Wisconsin. 

1995hoo

I've always found the New York City accent, particularly Brooklyn, to be fairly distinctive. It has what I would call a "honking" sound to it. I can usually tell when someone's from New York when I hear someone talk, although I did know one guy from Philadelphia who sounded like a New Yorker (and he admitted that lots of people figured he was from New York from his voice).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

I blame 20 years of watching Family Guy and my halfway decent Peter Griffin impersonation for inserting New England pronunciations of certain words into my speech sometimes.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bwana39

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 03, 2022, 11:32:50 AM
I've always found the New York City accent, particularly Brooklyn, to be fairly distinctive. It has what I would call a "honking" sound to it. I can usually tell when someone's from New York when I hear someone talk, although I did know one guy from Philadelphia who sounded like a New Yorker (and he admitted that lots of people figured he was from New York from his voice).

You know, the right south Louisiana Accent sounds almost like Brooklyn.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

mgk920

Classic 'Yoopertalk' is pretty distinctive, even to us here in NE Wisconsin.

:nod:

Mike

Scott5114

It's when you drive home on Highway Farty, then warsh your hands in the zink cause they're greezy.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.