Words or phrases you will never say or repeat

Started by hbelkins, August 04, 2022, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

It is what it is.

Basically, it's saying "screw you, I'm not apologizing for being wrong".

index

"Give 110%." I don't know why, I just hate this one.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on August 04, 2022, 07:33:35 PM
That one about Brandon (no, not the forum user) that I won't say both because not saying or repeating it is the point of the thread and to avoid a thread lock.

I don't understand why they don't just say what they mean, which is "fuck [politician's name here]". Either the person they are saying it to will know what they mean and they will come off as too childish and scared to say "fuck", or they won't know what they mean, and they'll come off as completely unhinged ("who is Brandon and why are you rooting for him?").

If I'm opposed enough to a politician to speak up against them in an appropriate forum, I'm opposed enough to not cloak my disapproval behind namby-pamby euphemisms.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

Quote from: index on August 04, 2022, 07:55:11 PM
I knew a soccer coach who didn't like this one. He was always about giving 100%, and added humorously that 110% wasn't possible.

I personally don't think I'll ever introduce myself with pronouns. I couldn't care less if you don't call me by male pronouns. Besides, you shouldn't need to talk to me with the third person if you're actually talking to me.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 04, 2022, 06:56:32 PM
Y'all has gained popularity among some liberal non-Southerners as a gender-neutral term for a group of people, trying to phase "you guys" out of their vocabulary.

I got the word "guys" out of my vocabulary a long time ago after working in the fine dining restaurant industry, but I say y'all occasionally because it's a quicker second person plural.

index

Quote from: CoreySamson on August 04, 2022, 08:12:59 PM
Quote from: index on August 04, 2022, 07:55:11 PM
I knew a soccer coach who didn't like this one. He was always about giving 100%, and added humorously that 110% wasn't possible.

I personally don't think I'll ever introduce myself with pronouns. I couldn't care less if you don't call me by male pronouns. Besides, you shouldn't need to talk to me with the third person if you're actually talking to me.

Maybe I didn't like this one because I heard it so much during the various team sports my parents forced me to play as a kid, all of which I hated. They should've tried to get me into recreation. One of the best parts about activities in the outdoors is that there's not an obese, balding, middle-aged coach with marriage issues who lives vicariously through his kids, handing out cliché motivational phrases like candy.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 04, 2022, 07:26:35 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 04, 2022, 03:20:25 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on August 04, 2022, 02:56:50 PM
"24/7" though I haven't heard it that much lately.

I hate that one.  Won't repeat it!

The Beatles Channel on XM claims to broadcast 24/8.

An in-joke reference to the band's #1 hit "Eight Days a Week".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

"If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean."

Maybe some of us aren't robots and need to take a breather when it's slow? You ever think of that, Dee?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2022, 09:45:00 PM
"If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean."

Maybe some of us aren't robots and need to take a breather when it's slow? You ever think of that, Dee?

The worst is when a manager engaged in their own current task pauses on whatever they're doing and just happens to look at you in the half-second of you appearing to not be engaged in any specific task and immediately chides you for it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2022, 08:02:43 PM
That one about Brandon (no, not the forum user) that I won't say both because not saying or repeating it is the point of the thread and to avoid a thread lock.

I don't understand why they don't just say what they mean, which is "fuck [politician's name here]". Either the person they are saying it to will know what they mean and they will come off as too childish and scared to say "fuck", or they won't know what they mean, and they'll come off as completely unhinged ("who is Brandon and why are you rooting for him?").

If I'm opposed enough to a politician to speak up against them in an appropriate forum, I'm opposed enough to not cloak my disapproval behind namby-pamby euphemisms.
They do.  I have seen the vulgar signs up here and there.

The euphemism is because people tend to frown on direct vulgarity.

I find both expressions childish.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Let's Go Yank...geez, I can't even bring myself so say it.
Build Back Better (at least without a snicker or cringe)

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Takumi on August 04, 2022, 06:31:19 PM
Quote from: skluth on August 04, 2022, 05:59:26 PM
Quote from: Big John on August 04, 2022, 04:48:00 PM
y'all

I find y'all to be one of the most handy expressions. I never used it growing up in Wisconsin but when I lived in Virginia in the mid-aughts I started using it. I say it closer to "you all" and with my Midwest accent but it still comes out as one extended syllable. I hate (file under 'minor things that annoy me') that you is used for both singular and plural second person, and y'all helps avoid the confusion.

Of all the languages I've learned even a little bit of basic vocabulary in, English is the only one that uses the same word for the singular and plural second person. I believe "ye"  was once second-person plural but I don't know when or why it fell out of use.

The singular was thou and thee, and the plural was ye and you, subjective and objective respectively. Of those, only you remains for the most part.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Rothman on August 04, 2022, 10:45:05 PM

Actually the chant is derived from the media blatantly lying that the group was chanting "Let's Go Brandon" when they weren't saying that at all.  It has more to do with the media covering up stuff and not so much the vulgar sentence.  Both CNN and Fox news will only give you the news they want you to hear.

formulanone

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 05, 2022, 08:36:58 AM

Actually the chant is derived from the media blatantly lying that the group was chanting "Let's Go Brandon" when they weren't saying that at all.  It has more to do with the media covering up stuff and not so much the vulgar sentence.  Both CNN and Fox news will only give you the news they want you to hear.

It all started with unruly fans at a second-tier NASCAR event...you know, the ones who would get offended at anyone else using sporting events to denigrate authority.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 05, 2022, 08:36:58 AM

It wasn't a lie so much as a misunderstanding. A guy named Brandon had just won a NASCAR race and the reporter interviewing him misheard what the fans were saying.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Another sports-related one you'll never hear pass my lips: "HTTR." Or is it "HTTC" now?

And there's a phrase popularized by a forum member that lots of other people have adopted to describe weather conditions. "About the sky; it cracked a roo," often shortened to just "About the sky..."

As I type this, it's thundering outside.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2022, 02:34:47 PM
Another sports-related one you'll never hear pass my lips: "HTTR." Or is it "HTTC" now?

And there's a phrase popularized by a forum member that lots of other people have adopted to describe weather conditions. "About the sky; it cracked a roo," often shortened to just "About the sky..."

As I type this, it's thundering outside.

They're bringing back "Hail to the Redskins" with slight rewrites as "Hail to the Commanders," and they have a poll going asking fans about which of two sets of lyrics they should adopt. We'll find out next week which they chose, though I wonder what happens if they fail to score during their first preseason game.

I sent in a suggestion that it should be "Hail the Commanders" to fit the meter properly. "Hail to the Redskins" is five syllables; "Hail to the Commanders" is six. In the recordings they released, they finessed it by somewhat eliding "to the" so that it's almost one word–sort of "Hail tothe Commanders."

Both sets of proposed lyrics are sort of dumb:

Hail to the Commanders!
Hail victory!
Fight for our Commanders!
Fight for old DC!

versus

Hail to the Commanders!
Hail victory!
Leaders on a mission!
Fight for old DC!

I think the first of those is preferable to the second because "leaders on a mission" makes me think of the much-maligned division names the Big Ten used to use (the "Legends" and "Leaders" Divisions). I did see something where someone posted a parody version in which the third line was, "Should be the Redskins."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2022, 02:34:47 PM

They should have made it HTTP to mess with people.

As for more things I won't say:
"PC Master Race", despite agreeing that computers are superior to consoles
"SMH"
"ATM machine" and other ones like that
"fancy like" (I can't even find a definition; searching only gives me the song with that name)
"beg the question" unless actually used correctly (hint: you're probably misusing it)
"million and a half" (in the context of 1.5 million)
"baby killer"
"Willis Tower"
"any other number"
"plox"
"c0v1d" with digits embedded in the word
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

ran4sh

The main reason to spell COVID with special characters or numerals is to evade the censorship that some social media websites apply to posts that are about covid. That, imo, is a reasonable usage
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

JayhawkCO

I don't ever type "lol". It just screams immaturity in my brain.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 05, 2022, 03:37:53 PM

I normally use all caps. It looks more like an adult version for some reason.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on August 05, 2022, 03:47:21 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 05, 2022, 03:37:53 PM

I normally use all caps. It looks more like an adult version for some reason.

Not that either. Nor LMAO, ROFL, or things of that nature. I either use an emoji or just put "Ha".

webny99

zachary_amaryllis

Cue video clip from American Dad:
Stan "I'm really getting fed up with this orgasm"
(you know you've seen the episode I'm talking about)

a few others I'll repeat, but will never say:
"Please stop scratching my back"
"I don't have room for pie"
"Your smile is tip enough for me"
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.