Longest State Route You Haven't Been On.

Started by webny99, January 17, 2019, 09:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ce929wax

sparker

In CA, the only state highways I haven't traveled on are 186 and 188, the short border connectors; did 266 "way back when".  Oh -- 207 was established long after the last time I was up at Bear Valley, so I may have driven the actual road at some point in the '60's or '70's, but not as a state route.  Otherwise, I've driven on at least a portion of the remainder at some point.

I'd guess that the longest state highway anywhere that I've not driven on -- and this is sort of pushing it -- is the MSR route of IL 9, IN 26, and OH 119 -- or possibly MI 28.  I'd like to say MSR 200 (really have had little opportunity there) but I have driven it coincidentally with US 89 and I-90 in MT.  Almost used it between US 93 and US 95 several years ago (to check out the parallel MRL rail line), but a very serious storm came up and I just stayed on I-90 over to Spokane.     

oscar

Quote from: sparker on January 17, 2019, 05:18:22 PM
In CA, the only state highways I haven't traveled on are 186 and 188, the short border connectors; did 266 "way back when".  Oh -- 207 was established long after the last time I was up at Bear Valley, so I may have driven the actual road at some point in the '60's or '70's, but not as a state route.  Otherwise, I've driven on at least a portion of the remainder at some point.

I've covered over 98% of the CA state route system, including everything outside of the coastal counties from San Luis Obispo to Los Angeles. The longest route I haven't touched is CA 27, at about 18 miles. Others completely untraveled are CA 34, CA 107, CA 187, CA 213, CA 229, CA 232, and the CA 1 business route in Cambria.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Ohio - Oh 125, 84.6 miles (I have no idea how to find it's length rank)
Pennsylvania - Pa 191, 109.2 miles
Louisiana - US 80, 199 miles/La 2, 190 miles
Indiana - Ind 56, 189 miles
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

I have to go far down the list of OK routes to find one that I haven't touched, but that's because I've both traveled a lot in the state, and Oklahoma is unusually prone to concurrencies for whatever reason. Just about every route will piggyback on another to jump over a few miles at some point.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

In Virginia, I think it's VA-57, which is 86.45 miles long and is a road I wouldn't really have any reason to use nor much opportunity to drive. Last time I was down that way was our Christmas 2016 trip to Primland and I opted for the US highways instead because I had some gaps there that were a higher priority, plus it was more important to get down there in ample time ahead of dinner because we had to have our luggage transferred to a 4WD vehicle to reach the tree house we'd booked.

For other states, I have no clue. Too much trouble to try to figure it out. I assume it would likely be something in Texas, but who knows because I don't know how Texas's state routes compare to Alaska's for length and I don't care enough to try to find out.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 17, 2019, 09:34:52 PM
For other states, I have no clue. Too much trouble to try to figure it out. I assume it would likely be something in Texas, but who knows because I don't know how Texas's state routes compare to Alaska's for length and I don't care enough to try to find out.

Short answer is that both Texas and Alaska have individual state routes topping out around 550 miles. But Texas has more long routes, as well as overall state route mileage.

Other states have individual state routes that are even longer, for example CA 1 and MT 200 each over 700 miles (some Great Plains and Mountain states might have their own contenders).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kurumi

California: CA 96, 146.519 miles (18th longest)
Connecticut: CT 133, 20.05 miles. I've seen this route in Brookfield but don't remember ever driving on it. Longest CT route I've never even seen in real life (even at an intersection) is also the only: CT 182A
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

plain

I don't remember driving any part of VA 16, and it's 77.5 miles long, so that is my answer. I do remember at least crossing it on I-81 though.
Newark born, Richmond bred

SectorZ

Is it weird that I haven't missed a state route in my own state (or neighboring NH)?

CNGL-Leudimin

Every route on this list. The absolute winner is MT 200.

Taking "state" as meaning "subnational division", then the longest Aragon (Spain) regional route I haven't been yet is A-226 (also the longest regional route here) at about 97 miles. It is split into two sections due to its route dipping into the Valencian Community. I've been past both termini of it, though.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on January 17, 2019, 10:09:27 PM

Short answer is that both Texas and Alaska have individual state routes topping out around 550 miles. But Texas has more long routes, as well as overall state route mileage.

Other states have individual state routes that are even longer, for example CA 1 and MT 200 each over 700 miles (some Great Plains and Mountain states might have their own contenders).

I haven't been to California or Montana, which is why I assumed Texas or Alaska–of the 38 states I've visited, they just seemed the most likely to have the longest state routes, recognizing of course Alaska can be odd due to the overall lack of road coverage.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pdx-wanderer

Oregon - OR 19 (120.6 mi - 8th)
California - CA 49 (295.1 - 4th)
Nevada - NV 225 (100.3 - 4th)
Washington -WA 21 (191.3 - 2nd)

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 17, 2019, 09:32:08 PM
I have to go far down the list of OK routes to find one that I haven't touched

Now some of us are dying to know...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

clong

Quote from: formulanone on January 17, 2019, 03:48:11 PM
Alabama: 51 (25th longest)

Same for me at 114 miles. Next longest in AL I haven't been on is AL95 at 63 miles.

paulthemapguy

Probably IL-96.  I've at least crossed every state highway in IL though.  There are probably less than 15 I haven't driven on.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

txstateends

TX 16, the longest primary SH in TX, would have to be mine.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jdb1234

Quote from: clong on January 18, 2019, 02:43:25 PM

Same for me at 114 miles. Next longest in AL I haven't been on is AL95 at 63 miles.

AL 51 is mine as well.  If not for a reroute in Prattville it would be AL 14.

ftballfan

Flint1979

Quote from: oscar on January 17, 2019, 10:09:27 PM

SH-16 is the longest state highway in Texas but it's the 9th longest overall highway in the state.

thspfc

WI-27, though I've crossed it several times. It's the 5th longest I believe, but the next longest I've not been on is WI-55, which is 15th (crossed that one also).

paulthemapguy

Illinois 96, which ranks 17th.  I'm planning to clinch it Thursday, however, if the weather cooperates.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 17, 2019, 11:48:32 AM
MN 92, 72.5 miles. I've crossed it though.

Wisconsin: WIS 49, 126.71
Maine: ME 16, 187 miles
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

formulanone

Drove on the overlap with US 82 last week, so now it's SR 95 (41st longest).

EDIT: Oops, it's SR 63.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 17, 2019, 10:32:54 AM
IN 59, 80 miles long, 30th longest.

Now it's IN 257, 31.35 miles long, 71st longest.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.