News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How to still access Classic Google Maps (as of 06/26/15)

Started by Roadrunner75, May 04, 2015, 01:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purgatory On Wheels

ClassyGMap needs to offer more stops and drag-to-reroute in order to be fully useful to me.

Rothman

Quote from: Purgatory On Wheels on July 13, 2015, 01:37:51 PM
ClassyGMap needs to offer more stops and drag-to-reroute in order to be fully useful to me.

I'd imagine that this has been a perpetual demand from this group.  Google's continuing and stubborn resistance to county lines is also frustrating -- especially since when you Google a county they obviously have the vector sets in there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Michael

Oh, boy.  The ClassyGMap page has been removed.  There's a message stating "This page has been removed at the request of Google, because it potentially violates the Maps API Terms of Service. Sorry."  For now, you can still download the HTML file from the ClassyGMap GitHub page.  Thankfully, it was designed to be a single portable HTML file.

kkt

jakeroot

I tried ClassyGMap before it was taken down, but I thought it was, aesthetically, a disaster...hated using it. I would imagine that Google has gotten their shit together by now, so that those with less-than-able computers can use the new Maps.

jeffandnicole

On any device I've used lately, Google Maps works fine.  I forgot this was even an issue.  At this point, it's just people not wanting to move forward.  Yes, some features of the new Google Maps still irk me, but I've figured out how to use them or just deal without them.

US 41

Quote from: Michael on January 07, 2016, 11:41:06 PM
Oh, boy.  The ClassyGMap page has been removed.  There's a message stating "This page has been removed at the request of Google, because it potentially violates the Maps API Terms of Service. Sorry."  For now, you can still download the HTML file from the ClassyGMap GitHub page.  Thankfully, it was designed to be a single portable HTML file.

I got the same thing last night. What a bummer. I used ClassyGMap a lot.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kkt

But the new Google Maps isn't forward.  It's downward, down the drain.

The aesthetics may not have been wonderful, but ClassyGMap was very functional, much more usable than new Google Maps.

Rothman

*sigh*

I really wish they had turn-by-turn maps for the web edition of Google Maps.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

The one thing I'm hoping for is an increase in the number of shaping points in the driving directions.  It's annoying to have to split trips up.  I might try MapQuest again (which allows unlimited points, but annoyingly doesn't let you drag destinations).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on January 08, 2016, 12:48:14 PM
The one thing I'm hoping for is an increase in the number of shaping points in the driving directions.  It's annoying to have to split trips up.  I might try MapQuest again (which allows unlimited points, but annoyingly doesn't let you drag destinations).

The Fuccillo-size huge problem with MapQuest, even though they've updated their interface, is that they have perennially cheaped out on their vector set.  I sent them correction after correction and then just gave up on it.  They have lines where there are no roads and no lines where there are roads. 

That said, if MapQuest ever cleans up their act back to where it once was a few years ago, I'd totally go back to it.

vdeane

MapQuest might be debating whether to just dump their own data and use OSM data exclusively.  There's already an OSM data version.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

seicer

A FYI, you can turn off labels in Google Maps. More frustrating is that the 3D layer is enabled every time, rendering the aerials extremely slow. Why do you need 3D in rural areas? Or in most urban areas?

Thunderbyrd316

As of today, this link (which I found yesterday) still works for me.
Link: http://www.rkkda.com/tmp/newmap.html

US 41

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on January 08, 2016, 02:54:24 PM
As of today, this link (which I found yesterday) still works for me.
Link: http://www.rkkda.com/tmp/newmap.html

I imagine there are several other links that still access the ClassyGMap. Unfortunately Google will find these links and shut them down too, just like they did months ago with the original Classic Google Maps.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.