News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Strangest destination/control city for an exit/ramp

Started by TravelingBethelite, November 24, 2015, 10:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

CapeCodder

jbnati27

With my weird sense of humor, I've always found this one entertaining:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.4419129,-81.7656485,3a,75y,110.22h,90.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saffW8mnVtll2BGK2_DXWbw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Does this mean there will be some woman named Joanna Whitmire standing at the end of the ramp? (Har har har har)

jbnati27

roadman

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on November 24, 2015, 10:19:56 AM
What's the weirdest you've seen?

Mine would have to be the "RR Yard" off of exit 421A in Kansas City, KS:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0928219,-94.6403003,3a,37.5y,285.61h,92.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9NMlhkSe28Ua9abG5e3puw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In Nashua NH, Exit 4 on the Everett Turnpike (East Dunstable Road) once included the legend "FAA Facility" (a reference to the Boston Center air traffic control facility). The legend was removed shortly after 9/11, but the sign panels still have a large blank space where the legend once was.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ftballfan

One I find kind of strange is US-31 NB at BUS US-31 south of Ludington. The control city from the ramp is still Ludington despite coming straight out of Ludington. Traverse City, Manistee, or even Scottville would make more sense there

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman on November 24, 2015, 11:03:21 AM
In Nashua NH, Exit 4 on the Everett Turnpike (East Dunstable Road) once included the legend "FAA Facility" (a reference to the Boston Center air traffic control facility). The legend was removed shortly after 9/11, but the sign panels still have a large blank space where the legend once was.
The Baltimore-Washington Parkway has a lot of similar exits, and they haven't changed their signs for the same security reasons.

vtk

On US 23 between Lucasville and Piketon, Ohio: "American Centrifuge". Fissile material is enriched there...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

The Nature Boy

Interstate 91 in White River Junction, Vermont

The airport in question is a small airport in Lebanon, NH (right across the river). It seems like a weird control city for an interstate that you would take to get to Concord, Manchester and Boston.

lordsutch

In Tifton, Georgia, there's signs for "ABAC" on U.S. 41 at I-75. Unless you're from the area, you'd probably not know that ABAC was the abbreviation for Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College.

DandyDan

After they opened the new US 34 bridge between Iowa and Nebraska last year, I thought it was quite odd that on I-29, the control city for WB US 34 is "South Bellevue".  Unlike "North Omaha", which gets posted off of I-29 and I-80 at their respective I-680 exits in Iowa, there is no area generally referred to as "South Bellevue", that I'm aware of.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

noelbotevera

BUMP
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1827925,-118.1717537,3a,15y,309.28h,89.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soFD3jayWSsYPMWSD7U5fwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is off exit 22A (duh) on I-210 in Pasadena, California. Unless you're a science geek, you'd never know that JPL stands for Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

xcellntbuy

Quote from: lordsutch on November 27, 2015, 02:01:19 AM
In Tifton, Georgia, there's signs for "ABAC" on U.S. 41 at I-75. Unless you're from the area, you'd probably not know that ABAC was the abbreviation for Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College.
I always wondered.  Thank you.

Big John

1995hoo

I can't post a Street View link using my iPad, but one I've found odd is on northbound I-95 in Virginia at Exit 166 for the Fairfax County Parkway (Route 286). The sign for the northbound Parkway says "286 North/Fairfax County Parkway/Backlick Rd/Fullerton Rd." I find the final two lines a bit odd. In fairness, I will note that once upon a time they made sense–for many years, the northbound road stub-ended less than a mile west of I-95 and it didn't go anywhere other than Backlick and Fullerton Roads. Nowadays, the road is finished and provides a direct route to Burke, Fair Lakes, Reston, and Herndon, although admittedly you do have a TOTSO situation a shirt distance to the north.

The BGSs for that interchange were replaced recently (I don't know exactly when, but it was sometime this year), but the new signs are simply Clearview clones of the old ones. I would have thought a sign-replacement project would be an ideal time to put a real destination on the sign instead of simply two street names. VDOT doesn't seem to like to put "Burke" on road signs, though, other than some of the smaller signs you see at at-grade intersections, and I suppose maybe they don't want to use "Reston" or "Herndon" due to both distance and the availability of the Beltway route a short distance to the north.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

roadman65

FDOT using "Magic Kingdom" for US 192 Westbound on I-4.

Then in Tifton, GA you have an acronym used for US 41 along I-75 that is not even a city.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 27, 2015, 11:46:15 PM
BUMP
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1827925,-118.1717537,3a,15y,309.28h,89.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soFD3jayWSsYPMWSD7U5fwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is off exit 22A (duh) on I-210 in Pasadena, California. Unless you're a science geek, you'd never know that JPL stands for Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

JPL is actually pretty well known by the public at large.  People may not know exactly what goes on there, but it's a fairly regular source of developments that make it into the mainstream news.

Quote from: roadman65 on November 28, 2015, 01:31:13 PM

Then in Tifton, GA you have an acronym used for US 41 along I-75 that is not even a city.

You mean this one?

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Jim

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

The High Plains Traveler

"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

roadman65

To answer you Pete, yes that is the one!

Many places, of course, use local slang that you have to be from the area to know, but to strangers it is strange. :bigass:

Sheryl Crowe

realjd

And "Disney World" is a control city on the 417.

I always liked the "Canaveral/Cape-Port-AFS" signs for the 528 that have since been replaced.

CNGL-Leudimin

The strangest destination I've seen? Well, it's either 'CEDER' (Renewable energies development center), exit 56 off (Spanish) A-15, or 'vía de servicio' ('Frontage road'), exit 347 off A-23, which just serves the old N-330 road.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman65

Quote from: realjd on November 29, 2015, 04:40:06 PM

And "Disney World" is a control city on the 417.

I always liked the "Canaveral/Cape-Port-AFS" signs for the 528 that have since been replaced.
Part right as its cosigned with "Tampa."

However, that is the center of tourism here in Florida, so it gets mentioned.  It used to be the sole destination for US 192 on US 27 until a few years ago when "Kissimmee" was added as well.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.