News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Rand McNally Road Atlas 2017, skips green florescent highlight for construc

Started by ACSCmapcollector, August 02, 2016, 03:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

I have noticed about a week ago that the new Rand McNally Road Atlas of 2017, has entirely skipped out of the familiar green florescent highlight for construction.  Has anyone else noticed this too?

sparker

Since my reply didn't make the journey to General Topics once the mods moved the thread, I'll reiterate my reply here:  The green overlay indicating construction zones has indeed been excised from the 2017 Rand McNally Atlas; the indicator for such in the legend has also vanished.  I'm guessing that there might have been complaints/feedback about such, particularly since the atlases now are released 7-8 months before their calendar year ( indicated construction zones that weren't there, already completed, etc. -- or actual construction zones that weren't marked). 

myosh_tino

Did you not read Roadfro's suggestion on your, now locked, topic on the Southwest Board?  Post your question to the topic he suggested (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17685.0) instead of starting a separate one.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

I already moved it to General Talk about Highways, and he already gave me the suggestion.  It already has been answered, no need to comment more.

vdeane

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 02, 2016, 10:05:54 PM
I already moved it to General Talk about Highways, and he already gave me the suggestion.  It already has been answered, no need to comment more.
The point was that we already have a thread for the 2017 Rand McNally atlas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

myosh_tino

Quote from: vdeane on August 02, 2016, 10:15:06 PM
The point was that we already have a thread for the 2017 Rand McNally atlas.
Exactly!

It's obvious you did not read Roadfro's post.  He suggested you post your question in an existing topic about the 2017 Rand McNally atlas.  Instead you started a new one.  :rolleyes:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

oscar

Time to merge the first two posts of this thread into the existing "2017 Rand McNally Road Atlas" thread?

And for ACSCmapcollector to be more careful about starting new threads on topics covered by existing, active threads.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ACSCmapcollector

I would think that the AAA, or American Automobile Association would be a better choice for a Road Atlas, since H.M. Goshua is no more, what about AAA instead of Rand McNally?

NE2

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 03, 2016, 08:26:26 PM
I would think that the AAA, or American Automobile Association would be a better choice for a Road Atlas, since H.M. Goshua is no more, what about AAA instead of Rand McNally?
Is there a question hiding here?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

I gave up on the AAA road atlases long ago, but don't know about the current offerings. What about them makes them superior to RMcNs? In particular, do the AAA atlases provide the highlight for construction you miss in the RMcNs?

BTW, your topic line is truncated as too long for topic lines on this forum -- I suggest you shorten it so it will all fit.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: oscar on August 03, 2016, 09:06:35 PM

I gave up on the AAA road atlases long ago, but don't know about the current offerings. What about them makes them superior to RMcNs? In particular, do the AAA atlases provide the highlight for construction you miss in the RMcNs?

BTW, your topic line is truncated as too long for topic lines on this forum -- I suggest you shorten it so it will all fit.

The AAA Triptiks are more accurate, however I will trust my own ACSC, Automobile Club of Southern California for highway information as well as Caltrans's own Highway Network number 1-800-427-7623 which tells you on the cell phone what highway construction or condition is going on presently, including on the website: http://www.dot.ca.gov/.

oscar

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 04, 2016, 03:30:47 PM
Quote from: oscar on August 03, 2016, 09:06:35 PM

The AAA Triptiks are more accurate, however I will trust my own ACSC, Automobile Club of Southern California for highway information as well as Caltrans's own Highway Network number 1-800-427-7623 which tells you on the cell phone what highway construction or condition is going on presently, including on the website: http://www.dot.ca.gov/.

But what about the AAA road atlases? They're still around, AFAIK.

ACSCmapcollector

Yes I have know that, but this topic of discussion is all about Rand McNally Road Atlases, not the AAA Road Atlas. Make it so. Captain Picard would say.

oscar

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 04, 2016, 04:42:49 PM
Yes I have know that, but this topic of discussion is all about Rand McNally Road Atlases, not the AAA Road Atlas.

But you're the one who said in this thread, a few posts upthread, and less than 24 hours ago:

I'm following up on that part of your discussion. If you don't want to stand behind what you suggested yesterday about the inferiority of RMcN's latest atlas to AAA's, please say so.

ACSCmapcollector

Well to be honest with you I haven't even purchase an AAA Road Atlas before, end of discussion.  I don't know what an AAA Road Atlas looks like on the inside compared with Rand Mc Nally's, so there is an end of discussion for this subject.

kkt

I like the AAA atlases.  Good color scheme and town indexing.  However I haven't done a detailed comparison for which is updated more quickly.

coatimundi

I've always liked the AAA style, especially its demotion of population size. It seemed to me though that they were typically a bit more conservative on showing proposed road projects, which is what interests me most in looking at these maps. For instance, Rand showed the bypass of Nashua, NH as under construction for something like ten years, even though no work was being done, while AAA I dont think ever even showed it.
End of discussion.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: coatimundi on August 04, 2016, 09:09:27 PM
I've always liked the AAA style, especially its demotion of population size. It seemed to me though that they were typically a bit more conservative on showing proposed road projects, which is what interests me most in looking at these maps. For instance, Rand showed the bypass of Nashua, NH as under construction for something like ten years, even though no work was being done, while AAA I dont think ever even showed it.
End of discussion.

Good I agree here, End of Discussion/Resistance is Futile.

hbelkins

Yes I have know that, but this topic of discussion is all about Rand McNally Road Atlases, not the AAA Road Atlas. Make it so. Captain Picard would say.

You're relatively new here. Conversations expand and evolve beyond the original topic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: hbelkins on August 04, 2016, 09:21:35 PM

You're relatively new here. Conversations expand and evolve beyond the original topic.

I don't think so, I don't agree.

coatimundi

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 04, 2016, 09:23:39 PM

I agree. End of discussion.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: coatimundi on August 04, 2016, 11:03:09 PM

I am not new, end of discussion too.  I agree, I have been here for 5 years.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 04, 2016, 11:48:51 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on August 04, 2016, 11:03:09 PM

I am not new, end of discussion too.  I agree, I have been here for 5 years.

I don't agree, conversations tend to swing wildly like the whole CA 245 discussion thread....speaking which...end of discussion.

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.