News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Would you support new toll roads?

Started by lamsalfl, January 26, 2009, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on January 28, 2009, 11:12:30 PMI don't have the exact dates handy but my dad has told me that the tolls were originally supposed to come off of the initial Irwin to Carlisle section of the PA Turnpike in 1965 or 1970.  This would have been 25 or 30 years after the construction of this section.  Obviously, that never happened.

I've heard 1984 would have been the final year of tolls on the entire Turnpike.

As for tolling I-80, I figured it was going to fail.  That idea had been discussed practically since the last mile of concrete was curing.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Master son on January 27, 2009, 10:33:36 AM

Now if we can get IN and OH to do the same instead of the "closed toll ticket" system :banghead:

how about the installation of EZ-pass only interchanges like this proposal on the PA NE extension?  http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/3800

lamsalfl

djracer201

I have no problem with new toll roads - if it helps me get somewhere faster without traffic lights... I just went on a trip to Orlando from GA, the service plazas are kinda old, but well maintained, the gas is high ($1.99/gallon when off the turnpike its $1.84) but I had no problem paying the tolls. What you have to look at is the cost per mile - I drove about 50 miles on the turnpike and I paid $2.50 for it - that comes about to 5 cents a mile. In Atlanta, you pay 50 cents for 4 miles - thats 12 cents a mile! There is a problem with converting old roads to new toll roads - my idea is if it is possible - move the old road to the side of the new road - let the ones that dont want to pay deal with the traffic lights and traffic of course... and the people that dont want to deal with all that can used the toll road. So in a way you keep the old existing road and create the new toll road as well... Probably not the best idea - but I would think it would help a congested area...

mightyace

Quote from: djracer201 on February 03, 2009, 04:09:23 PM
I my idea is if it is possible - move the old road to the side of the new road - let the ones that dont want to pay deal with the traffic lights and traffic of course... and the people that dont want to deal with all that can used the toll road. So in a way you keep the old existing road and create the new toll road as well... Probably not the best idea - but I would think it would help a congested area...

I've skimmed some information from Texas and it looks like that is the approach that they are taking for new toll roads in Austin and Dallas/Ft. Worth.  The toll road follows an existing highway/freeway and the free lanes are off to the side and the toll road is in the middle.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Anthony_JK

Quote from: mightyace on February 03, 2009, 05:23:20 PM
Quote from: djracer201 on February 03, 2009, 04:09:23 PM
I my idea is if it is possible - move the old road to the side of the new road - let the ones that dont want to pay deal with the traffic lights and traffic of course... and the people that dont want to deal with all that can used the toll road. So in a way you keep the old existing road and create the new toll road as well... Probably not the best idea - but I would think it would help a congested area...

I've skimmed some information from Texas and it looks like that is the approach that they are taking for new toll roads in Austin and Dallas/Ft. Worth.  The toll road follows an existing highway/freeway and the free lanes are off to the side and the toll road is in the middle.

That's basically the approach Texas did with the Sam Houston Tollway/Beltway 8; the beltway consists of the access roads, while the mainline roads are tolled. (So when are they going to finish the northeast section and add connectors to the Eastex Freeway interchange??)

But, it's not always the same approach....the Fort Bend Tollway, the Westpark Tollway, and the Grand Parkway are all proposed to not have any access roads at all; the entire mainline will be tolled.

The approach appears to be what Texas is planning for the segments of the proposed I-69 extension using existing highways (US 59, US 77, etc.)

Anthony

PalmettoDP

I would support new toll roads as long as they can support themselves and all toll revenue is used to maintain the road itself.

The I-185 toll road south of Greenville, SC was pushed by politicians as a way to spur development south of the city. As a result, its routing was flawed and the road has never been able to service its debt. The "free" alternative freeway (I-385) is just a few miles longer. It would probably have been more successful had it been built connecting the I-385/I-26 split to I-85 near Anderson.

On the other hand, the US 278 toll road on Hilton Head has been very successful and is well worth the money, especially during the summer months.

Marc

I live in Texas, so my answer is definitely NO!  :biggrin:

If Texas had it's way, they'd toll every limited access roadway in the state. San Antonio doesn't have one yet. Lucky them.

Voyager

I willingly gave $6 to help maintain the Golden Gate Bridge yesterday, so if it were a freeway that I liked then I guess I would.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

SSOWorld

Quote from: voyager on February 09, 2009, 12:55:49 AM
I willingly gave $6 to help maintain the Golden Gate Bridge yesterday, so if it were a freeway that I liked then I guess I would.
$6??funny how things change in 11 years

NOTE: I was in San Fran in 1997
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

lamsalfl

Yes.  The toll roads I've been on in Florida and Texas are beautifully maintained.  Do more.

iwishiwascanadian

Well, living in Connecticut (the Free Bypass of the Northeast), I support tolls wholeheartedly.  I can't stand that people from the Mid-Atlantic use I-95 or occasionally I-84 or even the Merritt to get between Boston (and Points North) to New York (and Points South and West).  Maybe since I live in Hartford, I support them going at the Borders.  I suppose about $5 would work.  Plus, maybe they could get rid of the gas tax. 

SSOWorld

Well aren't I-95 and it's parallels the most direct routes between NYC and Boston?  It would make no sense for someone to take the thruway up to the Mass Pike since it would take more time.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheStranger

Quote from: Master son on May 03, 2010, 12:14:00 PM
Well aren't I-95 and it's parallels the most direct routes between NYC and Boston?  It would make no sense for someone to take the thruway up to the Mass Pike since it would take more time.

It looks slightly shorter to take 684/84 to the Mass Pike (90) to get to Boston (as opposed to 95 all the way), due to the diagonal trajectory of 84 northeast of Hartford...shortest route though is 95-91-84-90.
Chris Sampang

huskeroadgeek

As long as the tolls aren't exorbitant, I have no problem with toll roads. I especially like them if they are done such as Kentucky did using the tolls to pay off the construction bonds and then removing the tolls, but I don't have any problem with keeping tolls around as a user fee to help with the maintenance of the road.

Bickendan

Quote from: Tarkus on January 27, 2009, 10:49:33 PM
I'm absolutely 100% against tolls.  Maybe it's just that I've never lived in the vicinity of a toll road, but I believe roads are a basic service and should be fully funded by taxes.  Or, alternatively, advertising, which I'm surprised hasn't been considered.  Frito-Lay Expressway, anyone?

I'd *maybe* be okay with it if it were a completely privately-built road and not previously tolled, but tolling existing free roads is a huge, huge no-no.

Of course, our state government here in Oregon is considering an absolutely insane plan to install GPS tracking devices on cars as part of a "Mileage Tax" plan, which would effectively turn the whole state into a big giant toll road. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

Back in the day, the Interstate Bridge used to be tolled. The Bridge of the Gods and the Hood River Bridge are tolled.

There's talk of retolling the Interstate Bridge when it gets rebuilt as part of the CRC. Um.

vdeane

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 03, 2010, 01:28:15 PM
As long as the tolls aren't exorbitant, I have no problem with toll roads. I especially like them if they are done such as Kentucky did using the tolls to pay off the construction bonds and then removing the tolls, but I don't have any problem with keeping tolls around as a user fee to help with the maintenance of the road.
That's how the Thruway was built.  Bonds are paid off, but tolls remain.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 27, 2009, 03:03:04 AM
I don't have any problems with toll roads per se, but I want to get a bang for my buck. If I'm paying for the road out of my own cash, I expect it to be immaculately maintained, with frequent, well-maintained service plazas and signs that look like someone who actually gives a damn laid them out. Taking this in mind it should come to no surprise that I tend to avoid OTA turnpikes as much as possible. The Kansas Turnpike is about what I expect out of a toll road so even though it costs $5.25 for the portion I use it doesn't bother me as much as the (lesser) amount I had to pay on the Turner and Will Rogers Turnpikes.

The rural Oklahoma turnpikes have a 75 MPH speed limit, which makes the toll much easier to swallow.

Although I will say that the Creek Turnpike is worth however many dollars it costs just to get around the insanity that Tulsans call the Skelly Drive.

Have you been on it in the last month or so?  They have the WB lanes detoured onto the frontage road at Darlington.  There's normally a 3 way stop and there are red flashing lights (they have been temporarily disabled) which is a little unnerving.  Traffic usually slows down to 20-30 which is annoying because I can easily drive it at 55.

bugo

Quote from: Master son on January 27, 2009, 01:02:08 PM
Well, I hate to say it, but I would not expect any new service plazas on toll roads - especially those marked as Interstate routes. Federal law prohibits commercial development that is directly accessible from the Interstate.  (meaning that today, a service plaza must be on an arterial that you have to get off the toll road to access.) The toll roads that have them now were grandfathered in.

How long has this rule been in effect?  The Cherokee Turnpike was built in 1991 and has a Burger King and convenience store/gas station in the median.  It's not an interstate, but it is US 412 which may be a future interstate someday.

bugo

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 27, 2009, 10:54:39 PM
Anywho, I actually wouldn't mind seeing roads with corporate sponsorships if it meant the maintenance is top notch, and/or the road gets built in the first place.  That way a company can easily "build" a road, but it would be a gov't authority actually doing the hard work.  The company would just be paying for it.

I'm absolutely 100% against it.  Besides, what happens when Corporation A is bought out and the Corporation A Turnpike becomes the Corporation B Turnpike until Corporation B is bought by Corporation C?   Or if Corporation D goes bankrupt?  Or if Corporation E is renamed to Corporation F?  The roads would be renamed each time the company name changed.  Which would result in mass confusion.  I don't want to see our highways renamed willy nilly like that.

agentsteel53

everyone would just use the number designation for the highway.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

exit322

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 04, 2010, 10:07:22 PM
everyone would just use the number designation for the highway.

Or, in the case of it being a current road that gets renamed for a sponsor, whatever they called it before (like the Ohio Turnpike, for example).

But really, if a corporation wants to pay for the rights to name something and that gives funding the gov'net doesn't have to get anywhere else, I'm all for it.

Brandon

Going back to the original question, yes, I would strongly support building new tollways.  It seems to be the best way to get new freeways built, IMHO.  The DOT sure as heck can't get funding for them, and when they do, they take forever to do so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

exit322

With the toll roads, more study has to be done to see how useful the road will be.  Even if it's useful, but not "REALLY USEFUL," people aren't going to pay $3 to save 10 minutes (generally, I know I would on some days), there may not be the traffic to support it.

Marc

I live in Texas and would definitely NOT support new toll roads. I'm sorry, but a frontage road is not a free alternative. What makes me mad about Texas is that the toll money collected from toll roads goes to fund more than just road construction. And they gripe and complain there's no money to build or even widen freeways without adding some sort of toll lanes. Well, stop funding other areas with toll money and maybe you'd have more money to build/expand those roads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.