News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The worst point of an Interstate highway along that highways entire stretch

Started by Flint1979, January 08, 2019, 05:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

I-77 between mile 11 and 37 in North Carolina, due to the terrible construction project.

bassoon1986

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 08, 2019, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 08, 2019, 10:28:23 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 08, 2019, 05:15:19 AM

* I-20:  Not sure about Shreveport, but I'd venture to guess than just east of the I-59 split east of Downtown Birmingham is even worse than anything stretch of it in Atlanta.

20 in Shreveport is definitely tame compared to Atlanta, Birmingham, or Arlington, TX, although there's a short 5 lane section where I-49 merges in that drops to 2 lanes very quickly.

I-10: I know LA has been mentioned, but parts of Houston must rank high for trouble and congestion. Also the through lanes to 1 single lane at the 10/110 split in Baton Rouge. The Mobile tunnel during beach season is rough.

I-49: The only place that would remotely have bad traffic has got to be Rogers or Springdale, AR.

iPhone

oscar

Interstate H-1 east of exit 19 (H-201 merge eastbound), passing by downtown Honolulu. Old freeway, traffic has long outstripped its capacity, but no room to widen. The congestion was awful enough decades ago that crazy proposals were floated for an elevated Interstate H-4 along the waterfront (visual impact would've been about as awful as with San Francisco's CA 480 Embarcadero Freeway before it was torn down), and a "reef freeway" offshore from Waikiki.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bruce

I-5 (WA only): The Everett section from the Boeing Freeway to Marysville. Backed up from 2 pm to 7 pm every afternoon.

I-90 (WA only): The vast emptiness between Moses Lake and Spokane. It's so boring.

I-405: Factoria (I-90) to Renton. Avoid it like the plague.

Takumi

4: Orlando obviously
10: only been on it in Jax at night but they were paving
40: Nashville, according to my ex
64: between I-264 east and the HRBT
66: yes
75: only been on it at night in Florida so going to assume Atlanta
77: Charlotte
81: Harrisburg (have not been north of there, but was very slow when I was there)
83: not long enough
85: assuming Atlanta but have never been
95: haven't been north of Baltimore on it so personally can only say between Fredericksburg and Baltimore
97: honestly not bad
195 VA: clogs up at the north end most frequently
264 VA: downtown Norfolk
295 VA: Hopewell
395 VA/DC: most of it in DC
664: Newport News southbound approaching the tunnel
695 MD: southern part
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Qualification on why I-4 in downtown Orlando is so bad these days:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Hurricane Rex

For what I've done (I have not clinched a 2di)
I-5 PNW: I personally think the stretch between exit 59-99 is really boring, but I have family up there and well, I won't complain too much about it. The stretch between Wilsonville and Salem in addition to Albany and Eugene are also really boring made worse by the 65 limit. Traffic wise in Oregon/Washington: downtown Tacoma/Seattle and pretty much anywhere in the Portland metro are have the worst traffic.

I-84 Oregon: drilled into the ground with previous posts.

I-82: I've seen the equally boring post, but I like the Oregon section south of the Umatilla a river a lot less, because its just scablands. No hills, farms, or towns to break it up. I actually really like the section between I-90 and US 97 (mp 37). Granted I have not physically been on I-82 between Yakima and the tri cities, but I have done the entire interstate on GSW.

I-205: mp 17-21: boring, full of traffic, and surrounded by homes.

I-90 (west of Montana): also said, but mine would be George to Sprauge lake (mp 143-250). Traffic for my experience has been Spokane is the worst but I have not gone through in Seattle at peak time so...

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

doorknob60

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 27, 2019, 02:39:50 PM

I-82: I've seen the equally boring post, but I like the Oregon section south of the Umatilla a river a lot less, because its just scablands. No hills, farms, or towns to break it up. I actually really like the section between I-90 and US 97 (mp 37). Granted I have not physically been on I-82 between Yakima and the tri cities, but I have done the entire interstate on GSW.

Yeah, you're not wrong. I-82 between Yakima and I-90 (or you could say, the part concurrent with my avatar haha) is definitely the highlight of that route, I enjoy it a lot. Between Yakima and Tri-Cities, I wouldn't call it interesting, but it's not totally bland and boring either. Perfectly average (and I'd put it above I-84 in Idaho, for example). You're probably right about the Oregon section being the most boring, but it's so short that it doesn't bother me. Between Tri-Cities and the Columbia River would be a runner up, but it also doesn't stand out as being too boring (just kinda average, and pretty short). And I lived in West Richland for a year, so I have plenty of experience with those parts of the route in particular (took lots of trips to Oregon). But yeah, saying it was "equally boring" was definitely not quite accurate of me (it was just my way of saying there are no real stand-out boring parts).

Rothman

I will take NYC I-95 over I-95 between the Beltway and Fredericksburg, VA any day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: doorknob60 on January 28, 2019, 12:30:31 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 27, 2019, 02:39:50 PM

Yeah, you're not wrong. I-82 between Yakima and I-90 (or you could say, the part concurrent with my avatar haha) is definitely the highlight of that route, I enjoy it a lot. Between Yakima and Tri-Cities, I wouldn't call it interesting, but it's not totally bland and boring either. Perfectly average (and I'd put it above I-84 in Idaho, for example). You're probably right about the Oregon section being the most boring, but it's so short that it doesn't bother me. Between Tri-Cities and the Columbia River would be a runner up, but it also doesn't stand out as being too boring (just kinda average, and pretty short). And I lived in West Richland for a year, so I have plenty of experience with those parts of the route in particular (took lots of trips to Oregon). But yeah, saying it was "equally boring" was definitely not quite accurate of me (it was just my way of saying there are no real stand-out boring parts).

Having clinched I-82 myself, I'd say it's a fairly average to above-average route. There are two big bridges on it: the Umatilla Bridge over the Columbia River (which you can see the McNary Dam from), and the Selah Creek arch bridge. Plus, much of the route is in wine country, and so you see a lot of vineyards just off the highway -- not a common sight.

paulthemapguy

I just clinched I-55, 12, 24, and 59, though I couldn't clinch all of 59 because of the closure in downtown Birmingham (lovely timing).  So here are my thoughts on those:

I-55:  CLEARLY the stupid turn on the east side of the Mississippi River in Memphis.  Going around a tiny cloverleaf ramp to stay on an Interstate?  Completely unacceptable.  The situation going southbound was harrowing enough--using the EB-to-SB ramp dumps you in a third lane that exits almost immediately.  Good god that was atrocious.

I-12:  Pretty consistent and straight overall, so nothing stands out as horrible.  But I was amazed at the volume of traffic around Covington, LA!  I didn't know this area of Louisiana would have such a pronounced rush hour.

I-24:  Going westbound, it sucked joining up with I-40 from the left side and then having to exit from the right to stay on I-24.  The twists and turns around Monteagle were hairy, but impressively well built to promote safety and efficiency!  And the fog on Lake Nickajack made things worrisome as well.

I-59:  I almost smashed into a dimwit who STOPPED at the entry point of this cloverleaf ramp in Hattiesburg at US49.  https://goo.gl/maps/onqxmtANZ432  Why does Mississippi know NOTHING about tapers and acceleration/deceleration lanes?
Every taper in this state is designed for like 25mph.  This interchange is too compact to be safe.  So basically my answer for any interstate that passes through Mississippi is "the portion in Mississippi"  :-P
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SignBridge

Rothman, why would you prefer the Cross Bronx Expwy on I-95 in NYC over I-95 in Virginia. Most drivers who've been on the Cross Bronx Expwy would probably agree it's about the worst stretch of Interstate to found anywhere. Pavement condition, traffic congestion, hostile urban environment, etc.

Rothman

Quote from: SignBridge on January 29, 2019, 09:26:41 PM
Rothman, why would you prefer the Cross Bronx Expwy on I-95 in NYC over I-95 in Virginia. Most drivers who've been on the Cross Bronx Expwy would probably agree it's about the worst stretch of Interstate to found anywhere. Pavement condition, traffic congestion, hostile urban environment, etc.
I will take capacity fully or over utilized over driving down a road where it is misconfigured and mismanaged any day.  Driving in a traffic jam on VA I-95 when the reversible and opposing lanes are practically empty is much more frustrating than crawling across the Bronx and Manhattan in their usual traffic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Not to mention that the Cross-Bronx is shorter.  The jam lasts only 5 miles or so, and is easily bypassed by through traffic with I-287.  I-95's jams in NoVA, on the other hand, can be worse if you hit at the wrong time, and they last for 30 miles or so - and there is NO freeway route around them serving the same corridor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mrsman

Quote from: vdeane on January 30, 2019, 12:57:04 PM
Not to mention that the Cross-Bronx is shorter.  The jam lasts only 5 miles or so, and is easily bypassed by through traffic with I-287.  I-95's jams in NoVA, on the other hand, can be worse if you hit at the wrong time, and they last for 30 miles or so - and there is NO freeway route around them serving the same corridor.

Agreed, although I believe the bad parts extend all the way to 95/295/64 just north of Richmond.  And there are quite a few bypasses for the Cross-Bronx, I-287 as well as the Cross-Westchester Pkwy, and if you're really desparate, the Bruckner or even the service roads. 

As far as the other big 2dis, here is where I think the worst stretches are:

5 (E LA Interchange or possibly the portion between 605 and Orange County line)
10 (E LA between I-5 and 710)
15 Cajon Pass
20  Not as familiar, but I would think Atlanta area worse than Dallas
25 Probably in the Denver area since its the only major metropolis it goes by
35 Probably Dallas is worse than Minnesota
40 Through the heart of Nashville
55 The interchange to stay on the highway in Memphis.  The Poplar Street bridge in St Louis being a close second.
65 The very northern stretch heading toward Chicago
64 The bridge just before hitting Norfolk
70 Breezewood
75 Atlanta Downtown Connector
76 (east) Schuykill Expy
80 approach to the SF Bay Bridge (yes this is worse than NJ or IL by far)
81 Generally moves well, but the section between Harrisburg and I-78 is probably the worst stretch
85 Atlanta Downtown Connector
90&94 Kennedy Expy between Ohio Connector and the Circle Interchange (left side on-ramps at every block is horrible!)
95 Beltway to Richmond

SignBridge

Another really bad one in New York City is the Brooklyn-Queens Expwy, (I-278) in Brooklyn. The worst section is about 7 miles from the Brooklyn-Battery (Hugh Carey) Tunnel to the L.I. Expwy (I-495) Traffic jams at various times of day, and long sections without shoulders. Not compliant with Interstate standards. Don't know how this road ever got designated as an Interstate. Yes, (sigh) I know it was grandfathered in.......

Ned Weasel

Quote from: mrsman on February 10, 2019, 10:22:36 AM
As far as the other big 2dis, here is where I think the worst stretches are:
10 (E LA between I-5 and 710)
If construction zones count, I nominate the one in El Paso.  The corners up against the barrier are horrifying.
20  Not as familiar, but I would think Atlanta area worse than Dallas
It's a breeze through the DFW area, but I haven't driven it through Atlanta, so I'll assume you're right.
35 Probably Dallas is worse than Minnesota
35E through Dallas is hideous, and some part of it always seems to be under construction.  35W is the preferred through route if you don't have to go through Dallas.
40 Through the heart of Nashville
Actually not that bad.  The part I find challenging is western North Carolina.
55 The interchange to stay on the highway in Memphis.  The Poplar Street bridge in St Louis being a close second.
Yes.
70 Breezewood
Downtown Kansas City is a good competitor.  Even if you use I-670, you're squeezed down to one lane going eastbound, and it's a 45 MPH zone.  The westbound lane changes are difficult in traffic.
75 Atlanta Downtown Connector
Not bad, just slow.
76 (east) Schuykill Expy
Legendary.
90&94 Kennedy Expy between Ohio Connector and the Circle Interchange (left side on-ramps at every block is horrible!)
Why is this even part of the Interstate Highway System?
95 Beltway to Richmond
The DC Beltway is worse on the Maryland side, in my opinion.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

MikieTimT

I-49

Every single place it dumps onto an Interstate, US, or state highway for rerouting around the numerous gaps in its length.

capt.ron

I-40 (Little Rock to Memphis metro): eastbound is truck city. Remember to start early because traffic going east on 40 out of LR may be slow going at times.
I-40 (New Mexico): west of Santa Rosa and east of Cline's Corners -- that long straight stretch where there isn't much to see.

inkyatari

With the I-80 bridge over the Des Plaines river in JOliet, IL rating a 6 out of 100, I think there's no contest as to what the worst place on  I-80 is.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Big John

Quote from: inkyatari on February 18, 2019, 10:38:25 PM
With the I-80 bridge over the Des Plaines river in JOliet, IL rating a 6 out of 100, I think there's no contest as to what the worst place on  I-80 is.
Is that the sufficiency rating?  That number is misleading except a number under 50 makes it eligible for funds to rehab or replace the structure.

inkyatari

Quote from: Big John on February 18, 2019, 10:46:25 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on February 18, 2019, 10:38:25 PM
Is that the sufficiency rating?  That number is misleading except a number under 50 makes it eligible for funds to rehab or replace the structure.
I believe so.  This, coupled with the reasons others have given for this stretch makes it a must avoid.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Aaron Camp on January 10, 2019, 10:45:41 AM
For Interstate 70, I'd argue that the exit to US-41/US-150 in Terre Haute, Indiana is more of a bad spot than Breezewood, Pennsylvania. That is a simple diamond interchange with traffic lights on US-41/US-150, with both I-70 and US-41/US-150 being very heavily traveled (I'm not sure about the AADTs for each exit ramp, however). A diverging diamond or partial cloverleaf interchange would make far more sense there.

Breezewood is awful but there are three other sections that are as bad or worse.

(1) I-70 between Breezewood and the Maryland border;

(2) I-70 between Washington, Pennsylvania and the  New Stanton  connection to the Turnpike; and

(3) I-70 across most of Missouri from MO-7 (Exit 20) at Blue Springs to I-64 (Exit 210) at Wentzville.

As far as I know, PennDOT is doing nothing between Breezewood and the Maryland line (the interchanges are terrible).  PennDOT is fixing up I-70 between Washington and New Stanton, but has a lot of work left to do. 

MoDOT has tried to raise the billions of dollars needs to reconstruct that substandard section, but efforts to raise motor fuel taxes or impose  tolls on I-70 have never gotten past the elected officials of the state, and the road is pretty obviously worn-out, and many of the  interchanges are badly substandard too.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jOnstar1979

Being from the Metro Detroit area and driving southeastern Michigan frequently... I can't stand I-94 on the east side between I-75 & 8 Mile (M-102). This stretch has to be the worst part of the interstate in Michigan. The freeway itself is way outdated and in my opinion, is dangerous because of the condition of the infrastructure (pavement, potholes) and with the behavior of other drivers. Speed limits are 55 here. Half of the drivers are doing 70 to 80 and the other half will do 50. It is not uncommon to come up on a driver in the left lane holding traffic up, but you have to be very cautious when switching over to the right as a car will whip by you at 80. Many entrance lanes on the right have no acceleration lane, so your using the far right lane at your own risk. I-94 is getting an upgrade, but finishing it is a long way away.

As for I-75, I am no fan of the downriver to downtown Detroit area of the interstate, but I will say it is so much better now after the recent construction. As for other parts of 75... I agree with many of you on the Cincinnati area. I-74 to 275 is a bit tricky. For the rest of 75 from Atlanta north... I don't have to many complaints other than I have been on that stretch many times throughout my life and I get bored of 75 quick.

ipeters61

I-68: Cumberland MD, but I can't deny that section of road is fascinating.  It does have my favorite view from an interstate highway (you're just driving along through the mountains and bam there's this town of 20,000 people), and going on my first trip off from work to Cumberland was great, since I'd been curious about that stretch of I-68 for so long.

I-84: Waterbury CT (though I'm thinking that will be fixed "soon") - of the many trips I had between Pennsylvania and Connecticut growing up, Waterbury was always the most painful place to drive through

I-95 (DE-PA-NJ): Chester PA - Every single time I have to drive to visit family in PA, I get held up in Chester, due to all traffic wanting to stay on US-322 having to cut across 3 lanes of I-95 (left entrance, right exit) within 1 mile.

I-97: Exits 1-7, the only stretch where I've dealt with heavy traffic, on both a Tuesday evening and a Sunday morning.

I-295 (DE-NJ-PA): I-295/I-76/NJ-42 interchange, with that nasty curve in there, especially with people seemingly wanting to fly through there.

I-476 (PA): I-95 to Exit 9 (PA-3) - I remember the day I moved to Delaware, I experienced extremely heavy traffic on this stretch for the first time.  It seems that every time I head up this way during rush hour, I get stuck through that stretch only.  Heading southbound, the I-476 to I-95 SB ramp is a clogged mess too.  However, in the fall it is a very pretty road.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.