News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is your favorite piece of interstate in your state?

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 14, 2020, 02:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Probably I-490.  I-787 through downtown Albany is a nice drive as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ned Weasel

I-435 between K-10 and State Line Road, except I hate the 50-MPH speed limit on the C/D roadways between K-10 and I-35.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Beltway

Maryland

I-95 thru Baltimore and Fort McHenry Tunnel

I-68 in Western Maryland
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Konza

I'll throw out a few more:

In Illinois, the Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) in Chicago between the Jane Byrne Interchange (I-290) and the Edens Expressway.

In Pennsylvania, I-376 coming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel, when you first see the Pittsburgh skyline.

Similarly, in Kentucky, I-71/75 coming north when you first see downtown Cincinnati.

In Arizona, the stretch on I-8 through the mountains just east of Yuma where the eastbound and westbound carriageways cross over each other and then cross back.

I-94 in southwest Michigan,  where you might catch a glimpse of a dune or two.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

amroad17

Although I do not travel this particular way much, I would say I-64 from Frankfort to the West Virginia line.  You have the transition from the rolling hills and horse farms to the Appalachian foothills and western ranges.

For a photo opportunity, I-71/75 coming down the Covington cut-in-the-hill as one sees the skyline of Cincinnati.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Revive 755

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 14, 2020, 06:52:57 PM
I'm going to go with I-44 between MO-100 and I-270. Throughout the state, I-44 tends to avoid the most rugged parts of the Missouri Ozarks, though by the St. Louis suburbs the highway (literally) cuts right through them. It is six (later eight) lanes and is known as the Henry Shaw Ozark Corridor. Several state parks, including Route 66 and Castlewood parks are along this corridor.

IMHO some of the forested median sections on I-44 near Fort Leonard Wood, or the area near the Little Piney Creek Crossing are better.  Though if I had to pick a stretch of interstate in Missouri, it would be a tough choice between I-55 between MO 32 and the Ozora Exit (if not down to the St. Marys Exit), or the decent and endangered double deck section of I-229 in St. Joseph.

For Illinois, it would probably be part of eastbound I-24 between IL 37 to the point west of the New Columbia/Big Bay interchange (Exit 27)

plain

Mine is I-95 approaching downtown Richmond, already mentioned upthread.

I also like I-64 on Afton Mtn and the turnpike-like trumpet interchange with US 250 there.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ilpt4u

Quote from: Konza on April 14, 2020, 09:24:48 PM
In Illinois, the Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) in Chicago between the Jane Byrne Interchange (I-290) and the Edens Expressway.
That is a good one to pick - including Hubbard's Cave

That said, assuming traffic is not at a standstill, driving Inbound on the Ike (I-290) from the Western Burbs, and seeing the top of the Sears Tower on the horizon, and then it growing and the rest of the Skyline appearing, until one approaches and enters the South Loop on Congress Pkwy in Downtown Chicago, is a cool effect. Yes, you get similar effects from the Southside and South Burbs on the Ryan, Southwest side and Burbs on the Stevenson, and even on the Kennedy and Edens, Northwest and North, respectively, but none of those simply turn into a Downtown Street 1 block south of the Loop

IL is home to two Interstate Bumps! I-74/I-80 and I-64/I-70, but I'm not sure that is something to be proud of

Outside of the Effingham Cross I can't think of anything really remarkable about the  Downstate IL Interstate Routes. In terms of numbering range, IL does contain 4 x4s (just misses having a 5th) - 24, 64, 74, 94 all travel the state, making an E-W 2DI "range" of 70, second only to California, I believe

AlexandriaVA

Trying to stay away from the DC area (probably 95% of my total interstate mileage ever driven) with this answer, but I've always liked I-81 through the Shennandoah Valley - took a lot of family drives there, with older siblings going to VT and JMU.

Rothman

I'm going with I-95, Cross Bronx and Trans Manhattan.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

DJ Particle

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 14, 2020, 06:08:11 PM
The tunnels through downtown Boston are still pretty cool, but I never got to see the original Central Artery.

It was a mess designed for the freeway needs of 1947.  Too bad it lasted into the first few years of the 21st Century  *heh*

Originally built to be a part of I-95 (which would have entered into the SE X-way at the Mass Ave Exit [which was originally a freeway-to-freeway style interchange built for the never-built SW X-way] and left at the Mystic Bridge exit for today's US-1), it was 3 lanes each direction with multiple exits, no accel or decel lanes, and as traffic increased, the speed limit was dropped to 35.

I drove on it quite a few times in the mid 1990s when I used to do anime shop runs to Harvard Square.  RIP Tokyo Kid, you will be missed.  Since the Big Dog didn't fully open until after I moved to Minnesota, I've only driven in the Big Dig twice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boston+central+artery&rlz=1C1GCEV_enUS874US874&sxsrf=ALeKk03_is_liITf86c8Ki743nDNGjyInQ:1586927519028&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=QGDn7BYM0oBiAM%253A%252CwtKOHs3tSXPJUM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQrHF6LrvPglZlX-xRfwmz5ek8rOw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjg_bjY1enoAhUAl3IEHQE8CjkQ9QEwCXoECAQQOA&biw=955&bih=892#imgrc=-CzQuNPkUmuoGM&imgdii=QGDn7BYM0oBiAM

US 89

That's a tough question. If I restrict myself to northern Utah, at least in spring it's hard to beat I-84 coming down from Idaho into the Wasatch Front, because the rolling hills common in that area of Utah look absolutely amazing when they're green. But I've also always enjoyed the two canyon portions on I-84 east of Ogden, and there are a couple places on I-80 and I-215 with great views of the Salt Lake City area and surrounding mountains. That eastern section of 215 is definitely my favorite urban interstate.

As far as southern Utah goes, I-15 is a neat drive between Cedar City and St George, as is I-70 between US 89 and I-15. I've never done 70 across the swell myself so I can't comment on that section specifically, but from what I've seen it looks like something I need to drive at some point.

Great Lakes Roads

Hmmm... For Indiana, I would have to go with either I-69 between Crane and Bloomington or I-64 in southern Indiana...

GaryV

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 14, 2020, 07:37:59 PM
Milwaukee's interchanges - though not as good as the ones in Texas.

My WI pick is I-94 between Osseo and Black River Falls, especially the section between WIS 95 and WIS 121. Gentle yet long ascents and descents through the rolling central WI farmland.

Other choices
ND: I-94 in Roosevelt NP
SD: I-90 at the Missouri River
IL: lolno
MI: Mackinac Bridge
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on April 14, 2020, 08:47:12 PM
Probably I-490.

I-490 has a lot of variation in character from end to end - any segment in particular?

Henry

I-5 north from Tacoma and south from Everett, both leading into downtown Seattle.

As for my home state, it's the I-90/I-94/I-290 expressways leading into downtown Chicago, which remain the most spectacular drives of all time with the skyline coming in before you.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ftballfan

GaryV

deathtopumpkins

Two words: Franconia Notch

Doesn't really get much better than that sticking to interstates!
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Flint1979

I-75 northbound over the Rouge River. It's in an industrial part of town but has the best view of the Detroit skyline with the Ambassador Bridge in the foreground.

TheDon102

Although extremely dilapidated and congested, I-278 in New York offers some stunning views at least from Brooklyn. The gowanus and BQE offer amazing views of the Manhattan skyline and traversing through Brooklyn is an unique experience. If you catch if in the morning, it's amazing! 

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on April 15, 2020, 10:11:37 AM
Quote from: vdeane on April 14, 2020, 08:47:12 PM
Probably I-490.

I-490 has a lot of variation in character from end to end - any segment in particular?
I like both the section through the city, which is a nice urban freeway drive outside of rush hour, and the section east of the city heading to/from the Thruway, which has long had an association as being the start/end of trips to/from Rochester (and is a nice drive too).  Not so much the western section.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.