News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads Named For Sports Heroes

Started by Grzrd, March 17, 2011, 11:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

I seem to remember a street in El Paso named for Lee Trevino.

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: xonhulu on March 17, 2011, 11:51:58 PM
I seem to remember a street in El Paso named for Lee Trevino.
Yep-Lee Trevino Dr.(has an exit from I-10).
On the subject of golf, I-44 in Springfield, Mo. is named the Payne Stewart Memorial Highway.

SP Cook

West Virginia:

Former 16th Street in Huntington is Hal Greer Blvd.  Greer was from Huntington and was the first significant black player at Marshall after intergraion.  Later went on the HoF NBA career. 

Former 20th Street in Huntington is Marshall Memorial Blvd.  It runs from the football stadium to Spring Hill Cemetary, the significance of which is outlined in the movie, We Are Marshall.

WV 7/US 19 by the WVU basketball arena is Jerry West Blvd.  West also had an NBA HoF career.

mightyace

In Clarksville, TN part of US 79 is Wilma Rudolph Blvd.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Bryant5493

Quote from: SP Cook on March 18, 2011, 06:46:02 AM
WV 7/US 19 by the WVU basketball arena is Jerry West Blvd.  West also had an NBA HoF career.

And he's also the NBA logo.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

mgk920

Quote from: Bryant5493 on March 18, 2011, 09:48:20 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on March 18, 2011, 06:46:02 AM

And he's also the NBA logo.

Be well,

Bryant

Many of the street name signs around Lambeau Field have Packers' logos and helmets on them, too.

Mike

rte66man

I-35 in Edmond, OK is the Shannon Miller Parkway.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Dr Frankenstein

It's absent from the USPS official abbreviation list.

pianocello

Part of LSD in downtown Chicago is also called George Halas Drive

The city of Coralville, IA renamed part of their main street as Hayden Fry Way (Hayden Fry was the University of Iowa's football coach in the 70s)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

andrewkbrown

Jack Nicklaus Freeway is I-270 in Columbus, Ohio.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

iwishiwascanadian

Isn't I-395 in Baltimore also the Cal Ripkin Jr Way or something like it...?

builder_J

Some Kansas City area examples:

(As previously mentioned) George Brett Superhighway - I-70 from approx. Exit 2A (I-35) in downtown KC to Exit 9 (Blue Ridge Cutoff / Truman Sports Complex). Also, the bridge that carries Blue Ridge Cutoff over I-70 is named the George Brett Bridge.

Lamar Hunt Memorial Highway - I-435 from Exit 54 (NE Parvin Rd./ NE 48th St.) to Exit 63A/63B (I-70).

John "Buck" O'neil Way (also known as E. 17th Terrace) - The Paseo to Highland Ave. in the 18th & Vine Historic District.

Tom Watson Pkwy - MO-45 between I-435 and I-29.

Scott5114

I think calling someone a "hero" for being competent in their chosen profession is a bit of a stretch. They're not actually doing anything heroic.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Grzrd

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 19, 2011, 08:53:46 PM
I think calling someone a "hero" for being competent in their chosen profession is a bit of a stretch. They're not actually doing anything heroic.
Check out fourth definition from Merriam-Webster:

"Definition of HERO
1a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability b : an illustrious warrior c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d : one who shows great courage
2a : the principal male character in a literary or dramatic work b : the central figure in an event, period, or movement
3plural usually he·ros : submarine 2
4: an object of extreme admiration and devotion : idol"

The above individuals, teams and animals all seem to have received enough admiration to have a road named after them.  Definition 4 works.  1.c. could also work: being admired for achievements and noble qualities.

Scott5114

Messrs. Merriam and Webster are full of shit.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Grzrd

Well, at least they have appeared to fool most of the people most of the time ...

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 19, 2011, 09:27:34 PM
Messrs. Merriam and Webster are full of shit.
No, they're full of dirt since both been buried for over a century.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

PAHighways

aridawn

In Edmonton, AB you have Wayne Gretzky DR a freeway, and in Brantford, ON you have Wayne Gretzky Parkway, an arterial road.

wandering drive

Roads named after golfers are dime-a-dozen in the south.  Just google search "Nicklaus Dr, Florida."  Same with Snead, Palmer, Hogan, Sarazen, Player, Trevino, etc.

The road in front of the Metrodome in Minneapolis is named "Kirby Puckett Dr."
There's Dan Patch Avenue at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds named for a racehorse.  The Twin Cities suburb of Savage was named after his owner, Marion Willis Savage.

hobsini2

Bolingbrook IL has a subdivision on the west side out by Hassert Blvd (former 111th St) and Palmer Dr (named after Arnold of course).  One of the streets in that subdivision is call Tiger Woods Dr.

In Green Bay, there is also Holmgren Way and Brett Favre Pass.

There is also a small semi circle drive off Michigan Ave in Chicago by the Tribune Building that is named Jack Brickhouse Way.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

lepidopteran

Old thread, I know.  There are two in Dayton, OH:

• Edwin C. Moses Blvd. (formerly Miami Blvd. West), named in 1984 for an Olympic gold medalist from the area.
  • Riverside Dr. was going to be renamed for baseball great Mike Schmidt in the early '90s.  But after some folks complained (mostly due to the hassle of letterhead changes and such), they gave the road an "honorary designation" to Schmidt instead.  A blade-sign in blue with a baseball symbol, over the usual green street sign.

Then there's the Ted Williams Tunnel in Boston.

spooky

The road connecting two retail shopping centers in Framingham and Natick, MA is called Flutie Pass, named for Natick's own Doug Flutie, who had a rather memorable hail mary pass to win a game over the Miami Hurricanes when he was playing for Boston College.

Henry

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on March 17, 2011, 05:27:55 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 17, 2011, 12:22:47 PM
I believe I-70 in St. Louis is the Mark McGwire Freeway.

It was for awhile up until last year. After he admitted his steroid use last year, the Missouri Legislature returned it to its original name of the Mark Twain Freeway.
But at least I-70 now crosses into IL on the new Stan Musial Bridge. That honor was long overdue given his many accomplishments and achievements he made for the Cardinals.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.