News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Exit 0. How often is there one?

Started by OCGuy81, July 08, 2012, 01:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Quote from: sp_redelectric on July 16, 2012, 03:52:34 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on July 11, 2012, 05:52:17 AM
I suspect that Oregon and Washington use similar schemes, although in OR 217's case, the exit numbers extend past their milemarker range, made painfully evident when the half-mile marker/reassurance shields were erected (ie, Exit 6 is slightly beyond milemarker 7).

One would think that for highways less than 10 miles (?) exit numbering should just be sequential rather than by milepost.  Once the highway is longer than 10 miles (?) milepost numbering begins to make more sense.
Why? It should be distance throughout, regardless of length.
With that said, I-84's first 10 miles are sequence based and not distance, to allow milepost synchronization with the mainline that begins at the northern I-205 interchange. (It needs a name -- the Maywood Park Junction; the southern one can be called the Gateway Interchange).

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 16, 2012, 05:19:23 PM
how high does Exit 2 go in Kansas City?  I believe it uses all but I, O, and Z?  does it use Q?

There is a 2Q for Truman Road. I, O, and Z are indeed the suffixes skipped.

Of course exit 2 is not really a "legitimate" exit number, since it is shared between I-35, I-70, I-670, and whatever else multiplexes through there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mapmikey

I-15 at the Montana/Idaho line has an Exit 0

Mapmikey

kphoger

how high does Exit 2 go in Kansas City?  I believe it uses all but I, O, and Z?  does it use Q?

But it's used for the entire loop, am I right?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

signalman

Quote from: kphoger on July 19, 2012, 01:24:08 PM

But it's used for the entire loop, am I right?
Yup, you are correct

OCGuy81

QuoteI suspect that Oregon and Washington use similar schemes, although in OR 217's case, the exit numbers extend past their milemarker range, made painfully evident when the half-mile marker/reassurance shields were erected (ie, Exit 6 is slightly beyond milemarker 7).

Wow, half mile markers?  How old are those?  I don't recall seeing them last time I was on that wretched freeway, but it's been a while.

This may be material for another post, but on this note I remember seeing mile markers every tenth of a mile in southeastern Wisconsin (specifically the 94/41 multiplex between Milwaukee and Chicago)  that seems a bit excessive...

vtk

On I-71 SB in Cincinnati, the exit numbers just go away after 2.  Exit 0 might make sense for the ramps to I-75 NB / US 50 WB...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Bickendan

Quote from: OCGuy81 on July 19, 2012, 11:59:05 PM
QuoteI suspect that Oregon and Washington use similar schemes, although in OR 217's case, the exit numbers extend past their milemarker range, made painfully evident when the half-mile marker/reassurance shields were erected (ie, Exit 6 is slightly beyond milemarker 7).

Wow, half mile markers?  How old are those?  I don't recall seeing them last time I was on that wretched freeway, but it's been a while.

I want to say they're within the last two years.
QuoteThis may be material for another post, but on this note I remember seeing mile markers every tenth of a mile in southeastern Wisconsin (specifically the 94/41 multiplex between Milwaukee and Chicago)  that seems a bit excessive...

I remember I-35W having 1/10 mile markers in The Cities.

silverback1065

Alps

silverback1065

Sry i was refering to the one tenth of a mile signage. They seem to do that everywhere now in large cities but outside its every 1 or .5 mile

Alps

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 21, 2012, 02:31:43 AM
Sry i was refering to the one tenth of a mile signage. They seem to do that everywhere now in large cities but outside its every 1 or .5 mile
Depends on the state. Ohio and Kentucky sure seem to like it. NJ signs tenth-miles all over but using really tiny signs you can't see until you're on top of them.

Bickendan

Oregon hasn't used the 1/10 markers. ODOT's just recently started using .5's on OR 217, and I don't even recall seeing them in Vancouver, WA on any of the freeways there. Definitely not 'Everywhere' like you asserted, silverback.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Bickendan on July 21, 2012, 05:18:00 PM
Oregon hasn't used the 1/10 markers. ODOT's just recently started using .5's on OR 217, and I don't even recall seeing them in Vancouver, WA on any of the freeways there. Definitely not 'Everywhere' like you asserted, silverback.

Have not seen them (or even .5's) anywhere in Washington.

PurdueBill

Quote from: Steve on July 21, 2012, 04:45:39 PM
Depends on the state. Ohio and Kentucky sure seem to like it. NJ signs tenth-miles all over but using really tiny signs you can't see until you're on top of them.

Even relatively heavy users like Ohio and Indiana don't post them for too far outside of large cities.  For example, the blue 2/10 mile markers don't go north of Lebanon on I-65 and stopped south of there until the first phase of the recent work between 865 and Lebanon finished.  On the Indiana Toll Road, they have them from the Illinois line through South Bend but no further east.  In Ohio, they taper off on I-71 in Medina County heading out of Cleveland and aren't seen again until near Columbus, except for a random couple of miles where they were left behind after the 3-lane widening (they were present during construction but not before, evidently to ease accident/incident reporting).  I-77 leaving Cleveland has them south all the way through Canton but they taper off too.  So not even every mile of Ohio or Indiana Interstate has the .2 mile markers--actually more mileage probably doesn't have them than does.

As far as Exit 0, I doubt that there will ever be national consistency on it when even within states now there is not total consistency with how to handle exits at termini and state lines.  Ohio hasn't even decided how it wants to handle termini without using Exit 0, much less introducing it. 

deathtopumpkins

Virginia posted .1 mile markers on interstates (and I believe selected other routes).
Massachusetts posts .1 mile markers on EVERY state highway*, though I've noticed a few minor ones where the mile markers are noticeably absent

* - By "state highway" I mean the state's definition, so not a continuous route but rather roads maintained by the state - towns often maintain urban portions of state routes, and are thus responsible for all signage on those portions.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Road Hog

I-40 in western Tennessee has 1/10 mile markers sporadically. It may be something they're experimenting with or phasing in.

roadman65

I have seen some states use the number 1 instead of 0.  NC uses Exit 1 on I-95 on the interchange that lies right on the NC-SC Line (aka the South of The Border interchange named after the tourist trap there) and  FL uses one on FL 429 with its southern terminus near Disney World it uses Exit 1 for one of the ramps to I-4 while the other is numberless.   There is an Exit 1A used for an interchange approximately 1 mile north of the 0 mile marker that allows for the number to be spread out over the first mile.

I-75 used to have its southern terminus in Florida with Exits 1A & 1B.  That may not count as that was in the days of sequential numbering in the Sunshine State, but nonetheless FDOT chose to use that rather than go use the 0.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on July 26, 2012, 07:57:56 AM
I have seen some states use the number 1 instead of 0.  NC uses Exit 1 on I-95 on the interchange that lies right on the NC-SC Line (aka the South of The Border interchange named after the tourist trap there) and  FL uses one on FL 429 with its southern terminus near Disney World it uses Exit 1 for one of the ramps to I-4 while the other is numberless.   There is an Exit 1A used for an interchange approximately 1 mile north of the 0 mile marker that allows for the number to be spread out over the first mile.

I-75 used to have its southern terminus in Florida with Exits 1A & 1B.  That may not count as that was in the days of sequential numbering in the Sunshine State, but nonetheless FDOT chose to use that rather than go use the 0.

This is Oklahoma practice; Exit 1 on I-235 goes up to exit 1G rather than use an Exit 0. If a 0 were used, we would see 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 1A, 1B, 1C.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

silverback1065

I-69 will have its exit 0 moved further south in the next 2 months

akotchi

Quote from: Steve on July 21, 2012, 04:45:39 PM

Non-freeway routes in NJ are done by mile (standard mile marker signs) and half-mile (smaller ones).  I don't know if the freeways have tenth-markers over their entire lengths -- rural areas of I-78 and I-80 might not have them (but I don't recall).  The Turnpike, Parkway and AC Expressway have tenth-markers over their entire lengths.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

rawmustard

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 26, 2012, 12:16:21 PM
I-69 will have its exit 0 moved further south in the next 2 months

It may not even have one at all depending on if an interchange gets built immediately adjacent to its Ohio crossing.

bassoon1986

Louisiana typically uses blank exits instead of 0's. I know that 210, 310 and maybe 110 are blank at their termini with I-10. 220 is a funny one. One exit before 20 is 1A, the I-20 exits are 1B and 1C, and then after the change to LA 3132, the exit is 1D and then they ascend again.

Darkchylde

Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 26, 2012, 04:23:51 PM
Louisiana typically uses blank exits instead of 0's. I know that 210, 310 and maybe 110 are blank at their termini with I-10. 220 is a funny one. One exit before 20 is 1A, the I-20 exits are 1B and 1C, and then after the change to LA 3132, the exit is 1D and then they ascend again.
Not 110. The termini exits are marked as 1I and 1J.

Alps

Quote from: Darkchylde on July 26, 2012, 11:44:16 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 26, 2012, 04:23:51 PM
Not 110. The termini exits are marked as 1I and 1J.
Not to mention that the order of exits is I/J, A, B, C...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.