Started by national highway 1, August 24, 2012, 11:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjrush

Quote from: mcdonaat on September 21, 2012, 04:41:42 PM
AR 980 (Airport Road) is the most enjoyable state shield, and stands out.e

:nod:
Woo Pig Sooie

codyg1985

As with a lot of people, I am biased towards my home state. Alabama's route shield is simple yet effective in communicating that it is a state highway. If the state outline has to be modified in order to make the numbers fit, I don't think that is a big deal. Legibility is more important. I like other states that use the state outline.

Tennessee is weird with their shield being a 3di shield for every number (including a single number). It is easy to read, but it also looks funny. I still like it better than states with circles or squares.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mjb2002

My home state shield (South Carolina) would rank near the top, but below North Carolina's. The simplicity of the shield (by making all shields three digits) cuts down on cost.

hbelkins

Quote from: mjb2002 on September 26, 2012, 07:21:16 PM
My home state shield (South Carolina) would rank near the top, but below North Carolina's. The simplicity of the shield (by making all shields three digits) cuts down on cost.

But then they use blue-on-white directional plates the same width as those three-digit-size route markers, with a corresponding proportional increase in height; whereas three-digit US routes get the same black-on-white directional banners as two-digit routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

achilles765

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 21, 2012, 10:22:03 AM
Home state bias here. 

Texas, I've long thought, should swap its state highway shields with the design it uses for Farm Roads.  (Plus using a Texas cutout on BGS displays would be cool.  I don't like how FM routes are a box on the BGS, but then have the cool state shape when you see a marker)

I agree actually.  I have always found it odd that the state shape is reserved for secondary routes while the main routes have a boring white square that say "288 Texas," with the state name under the number.  I like our FM route shields though and I always have liked my home state, Louisiana's, shields as well.  I am not a fan of the new black version. 
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

agentsteel53

Quote from: achilles765 on October 11, 2012, 03:09:43 AM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 21, 2012, 10:22:03 AM
Home state bias here. 

Texas, I've long thought, should swap its state highway shields with the design it uses for Farm Roads.  (Plus using a Texas cutout on BGS displays would be cool.  I don't like how FM routes are a box on the BGS, but then have the cool state shape when you see a marker)

I agree actually.  I have always found it odd that the state shape is reserved for secondary routes while the main routes have a boring white square that say "288 Texas," with the state name under the number.  I like our FM route shields though and I always have liked my home state, Louisiana's, shields as well.  I am not a fan of the new black version.
I think the reason for having boring state shields is to accommodate larger numbers. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ap70621

I think Pennsylvania's keystone is one of my favorites. I also like New York's shield however I think they need to pick one version of it and stick with it. Can't say I care much for my home state of New Jersey's though.

Quillz

I like California's because of the shape and color. I like the shape of New York's, although I'd prefer it to be a cutout.

SteveG1988

I know it is basic, but i like the simple to read circular state shield with a black square behind it, NJ uses that style, and i like it. Simple to read, and since DE uses just the circle, easy to tell the two states apart.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

DandyDan

I probably have home state bias as well, as I like Nebraska's wagon in trapezoid.  I'm surprised no one came up with using a trapezoid before Nebraska did.

I also like Kansas's and Minnesota's.  I like the state outline ones as well in general, but Arizona could have done theirs without turning their curvy borders into straight lines.

The worst are Illinois and Indiana, at least amongst states I've been to.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

vdeane

I have home state bias myself.  My favorites are NY, PA, and ON.

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 14, 2012, 04:08:22 AM
I know it is basic, but i like the simple to read circular state shield with a black square behind it, NJ uses that style, and i like it. Simple to read, and since DE uses just the circle, easy to tell the two states apart.
Actually, this is NJ guide sign quirkyness rather than a difference in shield.  NJ doesn't use cutout shields for non-interstates on guide signs.  If you look at a reassurance shield in DE you'll see that they're actually the same (or when a NJ state highway is signed by an agency other than NJDOT, such as the Thruway sign for NJ 17 or any Turnpike sign).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ap70621

Actually, this is NJ guide sign quirkyness rather than a difference in shield.  NJ doesn't use cutout shields for non-interstates on guide signs.  If you look at a reassurance shield in DE you'll see that they're actually the same (or when a NJ state highway is signed by an agency other than NJDOT, such as the Thruway sign for NJ 17 or any Turnpike sign).
[/quote]
I am probably in the minority here, but I do like how New Jersey leaves the black backgrounds on the guide sign shields. That is what I have always known, so it looks right to me.

talfonso

Quote from: ap70621 on October 14, 2012, 09:08:28 PM

I am probably in the minority here, but I do like how New Jersey leaves the black backgrounds on the guide sign shields. That is what I have always known, so it looks right to me.
[/quote]

Ditto! Where I live the shields for state routes are good and represent where I live state-wise well, but I always miss NJ's.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.