News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Apple iOS 6 Maps

Started by HighwayMaster, September 19, 2012, 06:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the new Apple maps?

11 (36.7%)
2 (6.7%)
3 (10%)
2 (6.7%)
2 (6.7%)
3 (10%)
4 (13.3%)
2 (6.7%)
1 (3.3%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: January 17, 2013, 09:11:35 PM

vdeane

Macs are really good if you want something that "just works".  If not, you're probably better off with Windows (or Linux).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

I was wondering what the Oklahoma shield looked like on Apple Maps. They definitely could have done a worse job.

Texas looks really weird though. What's up with that? Is that shield used for all Texas highways or just the FMs?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

empirestate

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 03, 2012, 09:57:06 AM
Texas looks really weird though. What's up with that? Is that shield used for all Texas highways or just the FMs?

They use it for FMs and RMs as in real life, and a generic square with outline for state routes.

Has anybody spotted markers in the app for secondary highways in TN or MT, etc.? How about Indian routes?

Ace10

Quote from: empirestate on October 03, 2012, 11:14:56 AMHas anybody spotted markers in the app for secondary highways in TN or MT, etc.? How about Indian routes?

The state route markers in Apple's Maps are something that looks immensely better than anything in Google or Bing (or any other mapping apps) in my opinion - if only they used FHWA, I think they would look fantastic. This coming from someone who sticks mostly to Bing Maps.

I want to extend empirestate's question and ask if Apple's Maps signs Interstate Business Spurs and Loops with the green shield. I have someone with an iPhone/iPad I can ask, but I'm wondering if anyone knows this already. Also, do bannered (Alt, Business, etc) US Routes/state routes have banners on the shields in Apple's Maps? At least Bing Maps does this - Google just signs both roads with the same shield, leading to a ton of confusion.

1995hoo

I'll confirm they use a green shield on at least some Interstate business routes. I just zoomed in on Fayetteville, NC, to check. Don't have time nor inclination to swipe around checking others.

US routes don't have Business/Bypass distinguished. In fairness, the writing would have to be really tiny to squeeze that in there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ace10

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2012, 10:15:41 AMI'll confirm they use a green shield on at least some Interstate business routes. I just zoomed in on Fayetteville, NC, to check. Don't have time nor inclination to swipe around checking others.

US routes don't have Business/Bypass distinguished. In fairness, the writing would have to be really tiny to squeeze that in there.

Thanks for checking! I saw on a screenshot on another site that they are using the correct shield for the Kings Highways in Ontario, Canada also, so I bet they really did their work and have others, like the Trans-Canada Hwy and possibly unique shields in other countries done as well. The attention to detail of the shields certainly makes up for the lack of detail otherwise.

empirestate

Doing a little browsing, I've found:

Secondary highways in MO using the generic square (no outline)
Secondary highways in MT using the same, not the arrowhead design
Some quadrant routes in PA using the same

Secondary highways in TN using the primary route marker

County routes in WV using the correct (circle) marker

County trunk highways in WI using the correct (square w/top and bottom outline) marker

No special markers for NYS parkways

PA toll/turnpike routes using a green keystone (no similar treatment for FL toll routes however)

Texas:
NASA 1 just marked as SH 1 (square with outline)
No shield for OSR
Beltway 8 marked as 8 (square without outline)
Recreational roads: square without outline
Toll 121 has shields both with and without outline (other toll roads seem to be only with outline)

Puerto Rico has primary, urban primary, secondary, and tertiary shields all correct. So do USVI highways, but no roads are even shown in Guam or American Samoa.

The occasional county pentagon

Various bannered/spur/derivative/variant routes tend to use the square, no outline, which is probably the app's default shield

wphiii

Quote from: Ace10 on October 04, 2012, 10:20:56 AM
The attention to detail of the shields certainly makes up for the lack of detail otherwise.

I dunno about that, I'd rather have a map that actually functions as a navigational device first and foremost.

It is very cool, but it seems to me a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Ace10

Quote from: wphiii on October 05, 2012, 12:24:40 PM
Quote from: Ace10 on October 04, 2012, 10:20:56 AMThe attention to detail of the shields certainly makes up for the lack of detail otherwise.

I dunno about that, I'd rather have a map that actually functions as a navigational device first and foremost.

It is very cool, but it seems to me a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I agree. I didn't mean that it completely made up for all the other shortcomings, but the route markers are certainly a very nice touch that many other mapping apps don't have.

Scott5114

I do like the fact that the app uses vector data instead of rendered tiles like Google Maps does. I have never used Apple Maps, but that seems like that would make using it faster since you don't have to wait for the tiles to download.

It certainly looks like a very pretty app, and would probably blow Google out of the water if the data were the same...but it's not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 05, 2012, 07:53:19 PM

It certainly looks like a very pretty app, and would probably blow Google out of the water if the data were the same...but it's not.

is there a hack that puts Apple sprites on top of Google's map data?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 05, 2012, 07:53:19 PM
I do like the fact that the app uses vector data instead of rendered tiles like Google Maps does. I have never used Apple Maps, but that seems like that would make using it faster since you don't have to wait for the tiles to download.

It's Apple.  Pretty is all that matters.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

doorknob60

Quote from: Stratuscaster on October 03, 2012, 09:22:18 AM
http://www.cultofmac.com/194031/one-thing-apple-maps-does-way-better-than-google-maps-image/

I like how the Oregon shield is of 372, a completely unsigned route. Not according to Apple though, they sign what they want to  :-D

1995hoo

Quote from: doorknob60 on October 10, 2012, 02:51:37 AM
I like how the Oregon shield is of 372, a completely unsigned route. Not according to Apple though, they sign what they want to  :-D

That's not unique to them. I've seen online maps that show an I-478 shield for the Battery Tunnel in New York (I-478 is unposted)–Google Maps used to but no longer does, Bing Maps still does.

okroads

I downloaded IOS 6 last night; here are a couple things I noticed about the maps:
- Arkansas' highway shield is a square and not the state outline
- I-40 through Downtown Oklahoma City is shown on the old alignment which closed in February 2012 and has since been torn down

Billy F 1988

http://www.cultofmac.com/194031/one-thing-apple-maps-does-way-better-than-google-maps-image/

Huh. Helvetica much? At least Apple's efforts in using the proper road markers established by MUTCD is greatly better than Google's squares and circles on most routes. And, yeah, the Texas shield does look a bit distorted. The yellow "120" shield looks more something you see on a UK motorway map. My guess is that the "120" is Wyoming's shield.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Sonic99

Formula 1 driver Kimi Raikkonen recently installed Apple Maps in his F1 car, which led to some trouble at the Brazilian Grand Prix last weekend...
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

1995hoo

Quote from: Sonic99 on December 04, 2012, 11:48:45 PM
Formula 1 driver Kimi Raikkonen recently installed Apple Maps in his F1 car, which led to some trouble at the Brazilian Grand Prix last weekend...

:-D :-D Good stuff. Thing about it is, there's a gate at the end of that part of the old circuit. It used to be left open.

formulanone

...and he still finished on the lead lap! He's a trip, I tell you.

(It was "open" on F1 [1995] and F1 Championship Edition [1997], from my own recollection.)

Takumi

I thought maybe he had just partied too hard the night before.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Yes.

He was driving on an old alignment of Interlagos. (Kimi, the roadgeek?)

Quillz

Apple Maps does have accurate looking shields for both British Columbia and the Mexican Autopistas, whereas Google Maps just uses generic circles for both.

Central Avenue

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 04, 2012, 04:00:41 PM

Huh. Helvetica much? At least Apple's efforts in using the proper road markers established by MUTCD is greatly better than Google's squares and circles on most routes. And, yeah, the Texas shield does look a bit distorted. The yellow "120" shield looks more something you see on a UK motorway map. My guess is that the "120" is Wyoming's shield.

Better Apple's Helvetica than Google's Arial. :P

It looks like they distorted the Texas shield to fit the numbers without having to shrink them, which I guess makes sense (the numbers on a real Farm-to-Market Road shield are pretty small, when you think about it), even if it's not very pretty. They still get an A for effort, at least.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

agentsteel53

the worst part of that apple/google comparison... just what the Hell order are those states in?  not alphabetical, and not geographical by any sensible projection. 

it took me about a minute to find the Texas, and that was after I gave up attempting to reason with it, and just brute-forced it starting from upper left.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.