Routes you've clinched in one sitting

Started by hbelkins, April 21, 2013, 12:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

This post from Oscar V. made me think.

Quote from: oscar on April 20, 2013, 08:49:27 PM
Heck, even the short I-66, I never did in a single trip, since I live along the route, and had no occasion to go directly from downtown DC at its east end to Strasburg VA at its west end, or vice versa. 

The longest Interstate I might've clinched in a single (multi-day) trip is I-44.  Longer Interstates were clinched in two or more overlapping trips.

What routes have you clinched all at once? For purposes of this discussion, it can mean if you stopped for an overnight stay along the route and then resumed your journey the next morning.

Also for purposes of this discussion, short routes don't count (such as I-471 in KY/OH or I-265 in Indiana).

For me, definitely I-66 and I-68. Also, I-30. Everything else I've clinched has been in bits and pieces.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

As far as 2 digit interstates:
I-17, I-19, the west I-76, I-82, the west I-86

As far as actual long routes...gosh, my style of travel doesn't lend itself to doing that very often. Even when I took a trip specifically to clinch Oklahoma SH 3, I detoured off to go to Tulsa to see bugo and then caught back up where I left off the next morning, so I don't know if that counts.

Without leaving the corridor, I guess- US 371 I did in one burst. Several US routes, I guess- 91, 138, 195, 266, 350, 371, 730. Whatever is the longest of those would probably be my longest. I think that's 371.

I'm planning on clinching Alberta 36 in one shot in May (423 miles)- that would be by far my longest once I do that.

apjung

I-12
I-17
I-27
I-45
I-49 (Southern)
I-59
I-66

almost in one sitting
I-55 (Hammond, LA to Chicago, When I lived in Lafayette, LA back in 1982)

DandyDan

That depends on whether it was literally the first time you were ever on that road, or if a later trip after partially clinching it counts.  AFAIK, the only two digit interstate I ever did all at once is the western I-88.  But it wasn't the first time on that road, because when I was a college student at NIU in DeKalb, I made a couple trips to Chicago and I once went west to the Quad Cities, so I had it clinched, but it wasn't all at once, but I did drive it all at once later (after I no longer lived in Illinois).

The same goes for the first (and so far only) US route I drove all at once, US 73 (in its old form, before they rerouted it south to I-70, which begs the question of whether I still have it clinched).  The first time I ever drove on it, I drove it from its north end near Dawson, NE to Horton, KS, where it separates from US 159, but later, I drove it end to end.

On the state route level, there probably are a bunch, but most of them are short spur routes.  Anything lengthy gets broken up.  The longest I did do was the NE 50/K-63 combo.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Eth

The only ones of any appreciable length I can think of are I-16 and I-68. Also I-97, for what that's worth.

SP Cook

I-68
I-66
I-390 (New York)
I-78

Skyline Drive

Blue Grass Parkway
Western Kentucky Parkway
Purchase Parkway

oscar

Looking at my non-Interstate travels, I still think I can't top I-44 (about 630 miles) for longest I clinched in one trip without significant side trips or other detours.  Notable state/provincial routes I've clinched in one trip are the Dempster Highway (YT 5/NT 8), at about 455 miles, and the Dalton Highway (AK 11), at 416 miles (did that in one day, which was a mistake).  Of course, neither of those highways have any significant side roads.  I did the Trans-Labrador Highway (NL 510/NL 500, over 700 miles) in a single multi-day trip, but with some significant detours to St. Lewis (NL 513), Charlotte Harbour (NL 514), Cartwright (NL 516), Goose Bay (NL 500/520), and Wabush (NL 503) along the way. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AsphaltPlanet

The longest Interstate I have driven in one sitting is probably I-37 in Texas.  I did most of I-45 in one sitting as well, but by-passed Downtown Houston via I-610 to avoid heavy rush hour traffic.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

hbelkins

Need to add two more to my list.

I-59 -- started out in Chattanooga and took detours for I-759 and I-359, but got back on the mainline. Overnighted in Hattiesburg but finished up the trip the next day.

I-88 -- drove from Schenectady to Binghamton in one shot, not even stopping for gas.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can put I-12 on my list. I'd have to go back to my pictures for the Slidell, La. meet a few years ago to double-check, but I don't think I drove it end-to-end in one chunk.

Hadn't thought about the Kentucky parkways, but I have devoured the Mountain, Bluegrass, Western, Cumberland, Audubon and Purchase in one sitting.

There are a number of 3di's that I've done at once, but most are so short that I didn't include them in this category. My most noteworthy of those would be I-495; I drove the entire DC beltway counter-clockwise a few years ago, starting at the I-95 split in Maryland and working all the way back around to, I think, the GW Parkway in Virginia.

roadman65

I-88 I did in NYS back in 99.
I-37 I did in one day back in 97.
I-66 I did from I-81 to the Roosevelt Bridge almost making its whole run.
I-24 I did twice, but stopped to lodge both times as retiring time came about when I was en route here.  Normally, anyone can do this highway in one day, but started from Orlando, FL both times. 1994 and 2001 were the times.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The High Plains Traveler

U.S. 350
I-12
I-27 (with the allowance for an overnight stay along the way)
I-H-2
I-37, if "clinching" means taking it to the last interchange (U.S. 181 in Corpus Christi). I came back later the same trip to drive under those overpasses from the downtown streets.

In other words, nothing spectacular in terms of length.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

1995hoo

I-4 and I-68 come to mind.

I-66 does not for the same reason Oscar cites. Likewise, never did it on I-85 because the only times I've driven it beyond Atlanta were when I was at school in Durham, NC, so even when I drove that route from Montgomery to Northern Virginia I stopped in Durham to drop off some stuff and just stayed overnight.

Not going to count 3di routes because that's too easy.

Edited to add: After rereading the OP, I-85 is another I've done in one shot if you count the overnight stop in Durham.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Sanctimoniously

I-57 and I-97 are the only two I can think of.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Duke87

In terms of interstates, I-16, I-68, and I-88 (NY) particularly come to mind. Although none were pure straight shots as all involved one stop (the former two for gas, the latter for food).

Also worth mentioning: last summer when I did my big cross country road trip I took I-70 straight through from exit 219 in Ohio to exit 182 in Utah with only necessary stops and meeting a friend for breakfast in Denver as deviation - 1,709 miles, although not the whole route.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on April 21, 2013, 12:05:54 AM
What routes have you clinched all at once? For purposes of this discussion, it can mean if you stopped for an overnight stay along the route and then resumed your journey the next morning.

I-68 (and before that, the old U.S. 48)
I-97 (more times than I care to admit)
I-270 (Md.)
I-295/D.C. 295/Md. 201/B-W Parkway/Md. 295 (counted as one route because many  people consider it that way)
I-395 (Va. and D.C.)
I-895 (Md.)
U.S. 211
Md. 3
I-370/Md. 200 (though Md. 200 is not yet completed)
Va. 267
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

I was trying to think about US routes, and had forgotten about US 211. I got that in one day a couple of years ago. I also could have counted US 48 in that list until the section from Knobley Road to WV 93 opened last year. But once the whole thing is done I'm sure I will have occasion to drive it all in one chunk again.

Molandfreak

I-39, I-99, I-97, western I-76, and U.S. 218 except for the segment that parallels I-380. Oh, and I-380 in Iowa then.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Takumi

I think the longest I've done in one sitting is VA 156 northbound with its detours. It added another 2-3 miles so it was right at 60 miles.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

I forgot about US-211 as well (since it was truncated).

amroad17

I-84 (eastern) - 1 fuel stop in Newburgh, NY
I-88 (eastern) - nonstop
I-68 - nonstop
I-99 - nonstop (PA Tpk to I-80)
I-97 - but who hasn't?
I-57 - 1 fuel stop in Monee, IL and 1 rest area stop
I-8 - overnight stay in El Centro, CA
I-17 - nonstop
OH 32 - 1 food stop in Peebles, OH and before the Blannerhassett Bridge was built
Blue Grass Parkway, Cumberland Parkway, Green River (Natcher) Parkway, Purchase Parkway, and Western Kentucky Parkway (I still refer to them by their old names)
I-385 (SC)
I-380 (PA)
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

pianocello

I-88 (IL), I-24, I-475 (GA), IA-130, IN-130, and many business routes.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Alps

US 380 (full day) is probably my record. Also: I-88 eastern, I-68, I-66, I-17, I-8, each of Kentucky's Parkways that I've driven so far, every route in DC in one afternoon, NY 30, NM 9, Ontario 402, 400, 427, QEW. Longer beltways: I-295 Jax, I-285 Atlanta, I-275 Cinci, I-270 Columbus, I-485 Charlotte

cpzilliacus

Forgot - all of Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway (perhaps the longest "single" drive I have ever done, over three days).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: amroad17 on April 21, 2013, 07:25:52 PM

I-97 - but who hasn't?

I haven't clinched I-97, period....and I live reasonably nearby in Virginia. Just never had any reasonable opportunity to finish off the southern part between Annapolis and the junction with MD-3.

hbelkins

I've never driven on I-97, although I have been past both ends.

But I did do I-99 in one excursion, although I did take one exit to go grab a county and another for a Sheetz stop. So that's another one to add to my list.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.