The disappearing roadside rest area...

Started by froggie, June 06, 2013, 02:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Laura Bianca on June 15, 2013, 03:07:11 AM

I never thought about staying in a hotel parking lot. You've never been bothered there? I guess I assumed a manager would come outside and either ask me to get a room or to go elsewhere.

twice, in what has to be at least 500 nights spent sleeping in the car.

1) the Days Inn, in Hyannis, MA.  August, 2006.

2) the Best Western, in Aurora, CO.  October, 2010.

while they have every right to kick interlopers off their premises, I also have every right to give them bad publicity.  do not do business with them.  congratulations on preserving the sanctity of your empty parking space: just remember that one night's interloper is another night's customer. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: Laura Bianca on June 14, 2013, 09:57:46 AMIf I'm alone, I'd rather nap/sleep at a truck stop or 24 hour gas station/ fast food/ store. If I'm with someone, I'd rather sleep at a rest area. Much quieter and much less light pollution.

I think being with someone else is important.  I usually travel alone and there have been times when I have attempted to nap at rest areas (generally as a result of trying to do too many miles in one day or on too little sleep) and been forced to leave because I sensed something hinky going on.  The typical scenario:  I pull into a rest area well after dark and am the only one there; another vehicle pulls in; the driver just sits in it, not getting out to go into the bathroom, stretch legs, or do anything else that a law-abiding person would logically be at a rest area to do; I get tired of watching, half-asleep, for the other driver to prove to me that he is not a threat, and leave; the other driver promptly follows me, headlamps in my rearview mirror for mile after mile, until I take drastic and unusual steps to evade him, such as doing an unsignalled turn into a side road and then dousing my headlamps immediately.

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2013, 07:12:51 AMThen you do have some KOAs along interstates that charge $8 (at least the one near Valdosta, GA did) for a tent side, that if you have a van or SUV could use.  I do not know for sure if they would frown upon a car being used, but I would imagine that 8 bucks is 8 bucks no matter where it attained from.  Plus you can shower and have use of the wash houses as well for more than less than a standard hotel or motel charges for a whole room.

I have only ever roadtripped in a four-door sedan and I have used tent sites at RV campgrounds extensively, not just at KOA-affiliated ones.  Tent campers usually get a preferential rate because they don't use some of the facilities that are provided for RVs, such as dump stations.  No-one cares what kind of vehicle you drive up in, but many campgrounds enforce quiet hours strictly.  Ten years ago I had problems at a KOA near Lincoln City, Oregon, when I pulled into the campground 20 minutes after the start of quiet time at 9 PM and attempted to inflate my air mattress with the tire air compressor.  I was able to get some air into the mattress before I was told to cease and desist, but had to tolerate a less-than-firm air cushion that night.

RV campgrounds are indeed much cheaper than hotel rooms while allowing you to lie out flat (which personally I need to be able to do in order to sleep) and giving you access to hot running water for washing.  The main disadvantage is exposure to the elements.  Most commercially available tents (expect to pay about $50 for a Coleman tent that is suitable for general use by one person) have optional rain covers which keep the rain out effectively, but since tent sites at commercial campgrounds lose their vegetation after frequent tent-pitching, the tent usually has to go on packed dirt, which quickly becomes liquid mud in a thunderstorm.  Packing up a wet tent while keeping the mud off your clothing and the interior of your car trunk is an enormous hassle.  In fact, if you camp, you should carry multiple binliners in your trunk to cover just this contingency.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jfs1988

True, State Dot rest areas are being reduced because of competition from motels, Truck Travel Centers, fast food places, & even urbanization. The state economy is also a factor.

State Dot should probably considered getting revenue from leasing the rest areas to fast food businesses or even autopart stores like Autozone. The autopart store could have a small kiosk where people could buy basic things like motoroil or fuel injector cleaner. A fast food business like Carls Jr could set up a mobile truck somewhere during lunch hours. The businesses must pay a fee for using the rest area. Another thing could be revenue from advertisement.

Back in the 90s, I remember there used to be quite a few rest areas along California Highway 99 throughout the Central Valley. Now I noticed there are more truck travel centers than rest areas. The same thing along Interstate 10.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: jfs1988 on June 16, 2013, 03:30:52 AM
State Dot should probably considered getting revenue from leasing the rest areas to fast food businesses or even autopart stores like Autozone. The autopart store could have a small kiosk where people could buy basic things like motoroil or fuel injector cleaner. A fast food business like Carls Jr could set up a mobile truck somewhere during lunch hours. The businesses must pay a fee for using the rest area. Another thing could be revenue from advertisement.

Federal law prohibits commercial businesses from setting up shop on interstates, including in rest areas. The exceptions found all over the east were grandfathered in.

It is definitely a good idea though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NE2

Would a hipster food truck be allowed in an Interstate rest area?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Several times while driving along I-79 in West Virginia on weekends, I've seen some local organization (youth sports, Boy Scouts, etc.) with a concession trailer at some of the rest areas, selling hot dogs, drinks, etc. Wonder if they get a waiver or if WVDOT just looks the other way?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on June 16, 2013, 11:18:17 AM

They might get a waiver if they are working for a non-profit and the proceeds are for non-profit operations or for charity.  Otherwise, no, they're a commercial business.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on June 16, 2013, 07:14:12 PM

They might get a waiver if they are working for a non-profit and the proceeds are for non-profit operations or for charity.  Otherwise, no, they're a commercial business.
Yup, I was at the eastern I-95 NB rest area in CT and there was a church food sale going on. I bought a few baked goods, mostly because they were actually quite delicious-looking and homemade.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Steve on June 16, 2013, 10:25:46 PM

Yup, I was at the eastern I-95 NB rest area in CT and there was a church food sale going on. I bought a few baked goods, mostly because they were actually quite delicious-looking and homemade.

It used to be a staple of long weekends/high travel holidays that there would be free coffee at many rest areas.  It is now much more frequent than that in CT, with mainly boy scouts but also other non-profits doing tables of a variety of "free" foods with a prominent donation/pay-what-you-choose bucket.  They are especially common at the I-84 Willington rest area.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 17, 2013, 07:12:01 AM

It used to be a staple of long weekends/high travel holidays that there would be free coffee at many rest areas.  It is now much more frequent than that in CT, with mainly boy scouts but also other non-profits doing tables of a variety of "free" foods with a prominent donation/pay-what-you-choose bucket.  They are especially common at the I-84 Willington rest area.

MA still does the free coffee thing. During the summer MA rest areas and service plazas also have farmers markets.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

thenetwork

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 17, 2013, 08:04:05 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 17, 2013, 07:12:01 AM

MA still does the free coffee thing. During the summer MA rest areas and service plazas also have farmers markets.

A lot of the interstate Rest Area signs in Ohio used to (don't know if they still do) have fold-down signs which would say SAFETY BREAK/FREE COFFEE. The other 99% of the time when the signs were folded up, a single blue panel would just say PHONE.

DSS5

North Carolina recently opened what may be the most expensive rest area ever on US 421 near Wilkesboro. But it makes up for it by saving energy. I drive the route a lot and make sure to stop there. It even has a nature trail, which sounds weird but a quick walk through it can help keep you awake.

Not every rest area has to go to this extreme, but adding in a little sustainable could help keep them open in the long wrong.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2013, 05:53:44 PM
Several times while driving along I-79 in West Virginia on weekends, I've seen some local organization (youth sports, Boy Scouts, etc.) with a concession trailer at some of the rest areas, selling hot dogs, drinks, etc. Wonder if they get a waiver or if WVDOT just looks the other way?

The waiver does not have to come from the DOT, but from Voc Rehab, which is the agent for the "blind vendors" which have the exclusive contract to operate the vending machines (obviously the vending machines are refilled by commercial non-blind route drivers, but the profit goes to Voc Rehab.  The deal is that they have to give something away, generally coffee, and thus its a "safety break", and if you buy something extra, then that is OK.   

You will note that WV is in the process of replacing all of its rest areas with brand new buildings.  Current WV policy holds that rest areas, especially welcome centers, are important for the "image" of the state and act as a "gateway".  After the current projects are done, a new rest area may be built on Corridor G near Williamson, and eventually Corridor H will have several, including a welcome center (very needed on H, as its in very rural area and unlikely to ever have much gas station/restaurant infrastructure. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on June 10, 2013, 01:49:32 PM
I-295 used to have two north of burlington NJ, between Burlington and Florence NJ. the building got tore down and now it seems to be a NJDOT staging area for repaving. Maybe someone in the know *cough* Steve A. *cough* could chime in on if this is going to dissapear permamentaly, or if it will be rebuilt

The buildings are still there.  It is extremely unlikely (never say never) that these rest stops will be reopened however.

The southbound rest stop is now used by the Emergency Service Patrol, although I'm not sure exactly in what capacity they use it.  Much of the truck parking lot has been either dug up or covered in dirt.  The majority of the car parking lot remains, although a huge dirt mound prevents normal access to it.  The RV parking lot is the only real pavement still accessible.

During the reconstruction of I-295 in the area, the NB rest stop was used as the staging area for the roadwork, and currently still has some various impliments of construction stocked there. (Technically, I believe the 295 construction zone from Exit 45 to 57 is still active, although I haven't seen any work occur in at least a year or more).  During that project, the decel lane for the rest area was removed.

These rest areas were quite large, and the bathrooms were larger than most rest area bathrooms.  However, think back to when they first opened...95 was still expected to be built thru New Jersey above Trenton, and 295 would probably have been a popular bypass around Philly.  Since 95 was never built and the majority of the thru traffic takes the NJ Turnpike, 295 never gained the expected long-distance thru traffic.  While truckers used the rest stops at night, the volume of traffic utilizing them during the day was quite low.

The rest stop on 295 North near the Delaware Memorial Bridge remains, although with limited hours (Wed - Sun, 7:30am to 4:30pm).  The size of the building is about the same if you wanted to see how many people the rest area could hold...and why, based on modern standards, it is greately oversized for what was needed at a rest area.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on June 20, 2013, 07:23:37 AM
The waiver does not have to come from the DOT, but from Voc Rehab, which is the agent for the "blind vendors" which have the exclusive contract to operate the vending machines (obviously the vending machines are refilled by commercial non-blind route drivers, but the profit goes to Voc Rehab.  The deal is that they have to give something away, generally coffee, and thus its a "safety break", and if you buy something extra, then that is OK.

Do blind service agencies have some sort of exclusive deal for rest areas everywhere? In Kentucky, profits from rest area vending machines go to the state Department for the Blind (or whatever it's being called this week) and I have noted that in many, many other states.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DSS5

Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2013, 10:21:21 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on June 20, 2013, 07:23:37 AM

Do blind service agencies have some sort of exclusive deal for rest areas everywhere? In Kentucky, profits from rest area vending machines go to the state Department for the Blind (or whatever it's being called this week) and I have noted that in many, many other states.

North Carolina has a similar system. It's run by the Division of Services for the Blind. I didn't know that before now. .

SP Cook

Federally called the "Randolph - Shephard Act" .  Blind vendors get to run all vending facilities on federal property.  Most states have a similar program, as does WV (which is where Randolph was from after all) dealing with state and county property.

As to rest areas, it lead to a somewhat confusing situation.  The DOH runs the facility and has an attendant who does what attendants do (clean toilets, mow the grass, give away maps, etc) but he can't have a key to the vending machines.  The vending machines are tended to by a route driver (obviously not blind) who is a contractor for voc rehab.  If the machine cheats you, you have to write to a PO Box in Charleston to get your 80 cents back, which is hardly worth the trouble.

I think the act really pre-dates vending machines, and was originally intended to provide sheltered employment to blind people. 

Here is WV's state law:

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/Code.cfm?chap=18&art=10G

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 20, 2013, 08:38:08 AMThe buildings are still there.  It is extremely unlikely (never say never) that these rest stops will be reopened however.

The southbound rest stop is now used by the Emergency Service Patrol, although I'm not sure exactly in what capacity they use it.  Much of the truck parking lot has been either dug up or covered in dirt.  The majority of the car parking lot remains, although a huge dirt mound prevents normal access to it.  The RV parking lot is the only real pavement still accessible.

During the reconstruction of I-295 in the area, the NB rest stop was used as the staging area for the roadwork, and currently still has some various impliments of construction stocked there. (Technically, I believe the 295 construction zone from Exit 45 to 57 is still active, although I haven't seen any work occur in at least a year or more).  During that project, the decel lane for the rest area was removed.

These rest areas were quite large, and the bathrooms were larger than most rest area bathrooms.  However, think back to when they first opened...95 was still expected to be built thru New Jersey above Trenton, and 295 would probably have been a popular bypass around Philly.  Since 95 was never built and the majority of the thru traffic takes the NJ Turnpike, 295 never gained the expected long-distance thru traffic.  While truckers used the rest stops at night, the volume of traffic utilizing them during the day was quite low.
That northbound 295 rest stop has another infamous distinction; it was the rest stop named after Howard Stern by then-Gov. Whitman circa 1995.

It was closed in 2003 by then-Gov. McGreevey due to 'budget cuts' as well as supposed reported sexual activity taking place on the grounds.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: SP Cook on June 20, 2013, 11:35:25 AM
As to rest areas, it lead to a somewhat confusing situation.  The DOH runs the facility and has an attendant who does what attendants do (clean toilets, mow the grass, give away maps, etc) but he can't have a key to the vending machines.  The vending machines are tended to by a route driver (obviously not blind) who is a contractor for voc rehab.  If the machine cheats you, you have to write to a PO Box in Charleston to get your 80 cents back, which is hardly worth the trouble.

so are any blind people employed in the supply chain at all?

QuoteI think the act really pre-dates vending machines, and was originally intended to provide sheltered employment to blind people. 

1936.  there were vending machines then, but they weren't nearly as prevalent as a ratio of vending machines to manned kiosks.

California has a blind-vendor law, so I don't know exactly how the last time I was at the courthouse, I purchased a beverage from someone who was definitely sighted.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

theline

Quote from: SP Cook on June 20, 2013, 11:35:25 AM

Federally called the "Randolph - Shephard Act" .  Blind vendors get to run all vending facilities on federal property.  Most states have a similar program, as does WV (which is where Randolph was from after all) dealing with state and county property.

Thanks for the education, SP. I always wondered why blind men were always the ones selling candy, cigarettes, etc. in the post office and city hall in my home town, when I was growing up. Now I know.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 16, 2013, 09:22:44 AMFederal law prohibits commercial businesses from setting up shop on interstates, including in rest areas.

And it's high time for this law to be reversed.  National chains have obseleted it.

Case in point: in 1956, Wal-Mart "existed" albeit as a single-store entity, which was Walton's Five-and-Dime in downtown Bentonville, AR. Wal-Mart as we know it today would not come into existence until 1962. McDonald's had one restaurant, in Des Plains, IL.

East of I-25, there is a severe truck parking shortage, and I do mean severe.  Most places, if you don't get parked by 7pm or so, you're SOL until midnight.  Then, you have a few minutes to grab a spot as some people leave after they've picked up hours on their recap, then you're SOL until around 6am.  The Ohio turnpike needs to become a model for the nation, in this regard.  Large, well-kept commercialized plazas with HUGE truck parking, every ~30 miles.  With the electronic log mandate going into effect soon, especially with the Hours-of-Service changes going into effect next month, the shit is really about to hit the fan as far as truck parking is concerned.

I'm glad I'm going local soon, to say the least.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

ChoralScholar

A lot of the ones in Arkansas have been shut down because they attract crime.  Oh well.
"Turn down... on the blue road...."

Brandon

Quote from: ChoralScholar on June 24, 2013, 02:08:13 AM
A lot of the ones in Arkansas have been shut down because they attract crime.  Oh well.

Have they ever heard of video surveillance or police patrols?  The ones in Illinois warn of video surveillance upon exiting the freeway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on June 23, 2013, 10:27:24 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 16, 2013, 09:22:44 AMFederal law prohibits commercial businesses from setting up shop on interstates, including in rest areas.

And it's high time for this law to be reversed.  National chains have obseleted it.

Case in point: in 1956, Wal-Mart "existed" albeit as a single-store entity, which was Walton's Five-and-Dime in downtown Bentonville, AR. Wal-Mart as we know it today would not come into existence until 1962. McDonald's had one restaurant, in Des Plains, IL.

East of I-25, there is a severe truck parking shortage, and I do mean severe.  Most places, if you don't get parked by 7pm or so, you're SOL until midnight.  Then, you have a few minutes to grab a spot as some people leave after they've picked up hours on their recap, then you're SOL until around 6am.  The Ohio turnpike needs to become a model for the nation, in this regard.  Large, well-kept commercialized plazas with HUGE truck parking, every ~30 miles.  With the electronic log mandate going into effect soon, especially with the Hours-of-Service changes going into effect next month, the shit is really about to hit the fan as far as truck parking is concerned.

I'm glad I'm going local soon, to say the least.

So what's the relationship between a chain of stores operating off the highway vs. truck parking?

If anything, the need for truck parking can also be handled by private companies.  Loves, Pilot, Flying J, etc all cater to that market, and they can build in areas where truckers would benefit with having more parking available.

vdeane

Because there's truck parking at toll road service areas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.