News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/695/895 ramps, NE Baltimore

Started by treichard, June 15, 2009, 12:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treichard

MD SHA has posted signs on I-95 SB near I-695 to spell out the dates for changing traffic patterns this summer:

June 26: I-95 SB to I-695 traffic will exit right.  That means the new flyover ramp to I-695 SB must be opening.  Currently there is a left exit for I-695 SB and right exit for I-695 NB.

July 12: I-95 SB to I-895 traffic will exit right.  Currently I-895 SB is the mainline and I-95 SB exits right.

This mainline-double-crossover interchange continues to be disentangled.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

J N Winkler

It is actually a MdTA project.  There are meant to be two phases, but so far only the first phase (KH-1301-000-006) has been advertised.  The second phase (KH-1302-000-006) was supposed to be advertised two years ago this coming autumn, and I have actually seen draft signing plans for it, so I think MdTA has final PS&E sitting on a shelf while it waits for funding to come through.  Phase 1 is enough to build a complete Maltese cross stack interchange, but Phase 2 is needed for the managed lanes and additional flyovers to complete what MdTA bills as a "six-level" stack.

In the case of the I-95 rehabilitation south of the Fort McHenry Tunnel (FT-749-000-006), MdTA advertised the contract for the second time last January on a much smaller plans set than was used for the first advertisement, indicating that the project had been rescoped to allow it to be built within the limited funding available.  I don't think the I-95 rehabilitation is unique in this respect, and the cut in project scope points to serious cashflow problems.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

There are some down in the DC area that are accusing MdTA (and by extension, the state government in general) of biting off more than they can chew with not just the I-95 HOT lane project, but the ICC as well.  In particular, they think the ICC is a money hole that is both A) causing funding problems elsewhere and B) diverting funding from other "more worthy" projects.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

akotchi

The pattern is in place, as of July 24 when I went through.  It is not really clean yet, as there is still quite a bit of construction going on.  Got pictures of most of the overheads in advance (I think one is still to be installed), which I need to look over before I post.  My wife took them at 50 mph through the windshield, so I'm curious to see how they turned out . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

treichard

The new high-flying ramp from I-95 SB to I-695 SB is a fun drive. Noticeably long, too. Too bad the side barriers are little high to get a good view of the surrounding ramps and area from a small car.

The new I-95 SB to I-895 SB ramp was much less interesting.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on June 16, 2009, 09:05:56 PM
There are some down in the DC area that are accusing MdTA (and by extension, the state government in general) of biting off more than they can chew with not just the I-95 HOT lane project, but the ICC as well.  In particular, they think the ICC is a money hole that is both A) causing funding problems elsewhere and B) diverting funding from other "more worthy" projects.

And just what, pray tell do they consider to be "more worthy projects(as if I didn't already have my suspicions)?"

Quote from: treichard on August 08, 2009, 12:06:41 AM
The new high-flying ramp from I-95 SB to I-695 SB is a fun drive. Noticeably long, too. Too bad the side barriers are little high to get a good view of the surrounding ramps and area from a small car.

The new I-95 SB to I-895 SB ramp was much less interesting.
Even if I don't get to use those ramps, I'd like to see them. I may get that chance to see them up close this December.

froggie

QuoteAnd just what, pray tell do they consider to be "more worthy projects(as if I didn't already have my suspicions)?"

Improving the I-270 corridor, for starters...

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on November 28, 2009, 09:40:10 PM
QuoteAnd just what, pray tell do they consider to be "more worthy projects(as if I didn't already have my suspicions)?"

Oh, I thought it was going to be something outside of the realm of highway improvements... or worse yet, so-called "traffic calming" projects for busy state highways.

froggie

Apples and oranges, given the different entities involved.  Though to be fair, MdTA's heavy use of bonding, not just for the ICC but for the I-95 Express Lanes project, will have an impact on the state's bonding capacity...which will have an impact on the other transportation agencies within Maryland.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 28, 2009, 10:35:50 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 28, 2009, 09:40:10 PM
Oh, I thought it was going to be something outside of the realm of highway improvements... or worse yet, so-called "traffic calming" projects for busy state highways.
No, that's what happens when you MAKE money from tolls.  When you LOSE money, then it only comes from highway projects.

Alps

Speaking of this project, does anyone know where to find a map of the final configuration? The project website is incredibly unhelpful in this one regard.

J N Winkler

The Section 100 website used to have (and may still have) a plans book showing at least I-95/I-695 and probably also the I-895 ramps.  The construction plans have the same information (in much greater detail, of course) but are no longer accessible online with the possible exception of I-95/I-695 Phase II, which was advertised a month or two ago.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Steve's referring to the ultimate configuration, where both 95 and 695 are unbraided (currently and with upcoming phase 2, 695 will remain braided, with each carriageway crossing the other through the interchange), and where direct ramps to/from the ETL lanes are built (also not part of phase 2).

I have a map of it somewhere at home, but I won't be back to it for a couple weeks.

NE2

Ah. Here's a rendering of the 95-695 interchange:

Looks like the outcome of Megastack vs. Giant Octopus.

And 95-895:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

J N Winkler

Quote from: froggie on July 29, 2011, 06:09:29 AMSteve's referring to the ultimate configuration, where both 95 and 695 are unbraided (currently and with upcoming phase 2, 695 will remain braided, with each carriageway crossing the other through the interchange), and where direct ramps to/from the ETL lanes are built (also not part of phase 2).

Those observations are true for Phase II as currently defined.  Phase II as originally defined several years ago, before MdTA choked on the ICC, would have taken the I-95/I-695 stack to its final configuration, including the ETL direct connectors and unbraiding of the I-695 carriageways.

QuoteI have a map of it somewhere at home, but I won't be back to it for a couple weeks.

I am fairly sure the ultimate configuration corresponds to Alternate 3 in the "Retained Alternates" document which accompanied the Section 100 EA.  That document is still online and can be found here:

http://www.i-95expresstolllanes.com/section_100/section100_alternates.asp

Alps

Thanks! Alt 3 clarifies what I was after - that the HOV lanes merge into the general lanes just south of the new Moravia center exit, such that there's no access to the general lanes (which wouldn't have made sense). It's not easy to tell yet in the field what's going on there, and things seem a bit narrow to accomplish Alt 3, but I'll retain faith that's what is planned. The second image posted here is also somewhat helpful, but the focus is in the wrong direction to really make out the details.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.